Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I'm getting replies on my hotmail address for emails I didn't even send...
apparently they went to all my contacts (all 8 of them, and since I haven't used them since 2000...so none of them still work)
account hacked or virus?

The HP tx2 tablet I've got is absolute rubbish in every part of it, apart from the actual touchscreen. And since it's been a week now and I haven't found a proper use for that only thing working properly on it, I'm now returning it and getting my money back.

Now here's the thing. The tablet was a sort of an experiment (a failed one). And since I am in a need of a laptop of some sort... tomorrow I'm probably buying my first Mac. The base unibody Macbook costs roughly the same as I've paid for the tablet, so it fits perfectly. And I'm becoming genuinely interested in all the fuss about OS X - is it really that good? I'm probably going to find out.

Well, good luck.

Damn, I have some dust inside the lens of my camera... it's very annoying as it shows on pictures and the warranty isn't international...

Why isn't a warranty international for a camera? Isn't a camera supposed to travel with you around the world? It doesn't make any fucking sense... Even an Apple TV has an international warranty, and it's not exactly a device you'd want to travel with...

/rant

This is probably a really stupid question, but it's making me crazy. I use AVG for antivirus, and it updated to a new version (9.0) recently. Now I can't figure out how to shut the program down without forcing the process in the task manager. Surely there's a place to close it down entirely? I don't have a great computer, and if I run something that I know is safe but requires a lot of resources I often close my antivirus/antispy programs. AVG used to have an exit option if you right clicked on the icon in the task bar, but that's gone now. Anyone see what I'm obviously overlooking?

This is really a side issue, but even on a slow computer, an antivirus shouldn't make a huge performance difference. I would try a different one like Avira.

Haven't used AVG in a long time so I can't directly answer your question.

Ok this is true, but the combination of my 3 "protection" programs (AVG, spybot tea timer, adaware) do make a noticeable difference in my page file usage history as I close them out. My computer is nearly 5 years old now and I know I need to back it up and reinstall windows but I can't afford an external HD right now. I can't trace down what's slowing it, and getting rid of the other programs helps. I'm also pissed the new adaware INSISTS on running in the background as well. There's no option to prevent it loading, not even in msconfig. You have to let it load and then close out.

Is it too much to expect to be able to disable AVG when I want to?

Last edited:
Dad's going to get a new iPhone 3gs like mine today, I've never seen him so excited over a piece of technology :lol:
and we are both going to go and look for the carbon fibre and leather cases you can get for iPhones so they match... This should be interesting.

How is it possible that I can get a 2+ hour movie (The Hurt Locker) in 720p (1270x688) that's only 450 MB and the new 720p (1270x720) Top Gear rips are 1.45 GB, and are 1 hour long?

Could it be that those movies aren't "true" 720p, even though their resolutions say so?

450mb for 2 hours in 720p is, frankly, impossible. The 720p rips I have of movies are already fairly compressed and those are around 2GB, if you want quality encodes those will be 4-5GB for a normal size movie. 450MB could only be an over-compressed upscale from rubbish quality source, I can't think of anything else.

Come to think of it, the quality of The Hurt Locker isn't very sharp, even though the resolution is high.

But I also downloaded another movie that's 1(h):35 long and it looks more like 720p (quite sharp), but the file is still only 412 MB. :dunno:

Last edited:
Needs more vertical. 900px is the pits.

Heh, just got a text from my dad: "Hey Brydie, what is the number of my voicemail? (he just switched carriers to what I'm on) I got a text saying I have a message"

Me "...."

What the texts say: "you have 1 new voicemail. Dial ### to retrieve this voicemail free of charge"

:headdesk:

Looks like I'm getting a new mouse tomorrow, my mouse just shit the bed. I got about 4- almost 5 years use of it. Not bad I say, considering how many times I've accidentally chucked in across the room.
I'm forced to browse with my touch tablet.

^I'm actually considering buying a wacom tablet.

Is there any freeware burning software which can challenge Nero, or atleast do all of the basic burning functions? I can't be bothered to find a hackz0red Nero.

The only one I've heard of is CDBurnerXP.

^that's the only one that does pretty much everything Nero does...
it is a tad buggy though

Is there any freeware burning software which can challenge Nero, or atleast do all of the basic burning functions? I can't be bothered to find a hackz0red Nero.
IMGBurn.

Or Windows 7. But that isnt free.