H1N1 vaccine: are you getting it?

H1N1 vaccine: are you getting it?

• Yes

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • No

Votes: 151 83.0%

• Total voters
There's another couple thousand people over across the street from my house again today. It's like an outdoor curcus for these needles.

I'm not bothering for obvious reasons but I'm wondering about something...

If this is all a load of crap to "sell" vaccines and scam everybody (or whatever)

who is making all the money? as far as I know it's free for the shot.

It's not free, but it's not expensive, either. About $20, usually partially or completely paid for by insurance. If you're in a country besides the US and you're getting it for free, your government bought it with your taxes.

But I will reiterate: vaccines are not profitable. You only get one dose and you're done. Drug companies make their money in pills you take on a regular basis, especially the ones that improve your quality of life instead of saving you (e.g. pills for ED, chronic pain, bladder control, etc.).

Hell, my husband pays more for a single month's worth of his blood pressure meds than we would pay for flu shots for an entire year.

I've never bothered getting a flu shot and H1N1 will be no different for me. I've only gotten the flu once in the last decade, so it isn't something I spend much time worrying about.

It's not free, but it's not expensive, either. About $20, usually partially or completely paid for by insurance. If you're in a country besides the US and you're getting it for free, your government bought it with your taxes.

But I will reiterate: vaccines are not profitable. You only get one dose and you're done. Drug companies make their money in pills you take on a regular basis, especially the ones that improve your quality of life instead of saving you (e.g. pills for ED, chronic pain, bladder control, etc.).

Hell, my husband pays more for a single month's worth of his blood pressure meds than we would pay for flu shots for an entire year.

Of course they are profitable. If not companies like Baxster wouldn't make them. Yes they don't make as huge a profit per pill/shot as with drugs, but they do sell a shit load more vaccines.

Some vaccines have made both doctors and manufacturers a great deal of money. For example, the Gardasil vaccine has been developed to help prevent cervical cancer as well as reduce the incidence of genital cancers and genital warts in women of childbearing age. A report in Forbes Magazine noted that Merck, the makers of the Gardasil vaccine, expects to earn roughly $1.5 billion in profits directly as a result of the vaccine administration to young women.

But many other vaccinations are not even as remotely as profitable for drug companies or the doctors who give them to their young patients.

A report in the April 29th, 2009 issue of the National Center for Policy Analysis noted that ?of the 12 pediatric vaccines recommended for all children, there have been severe shortages of more than half,? a situation the author of the report links to low profit margins for most vaccinations. The report goes on to note that most vaccinations are manufactured by only a handful of makers such as Merck because the profit margins are so low.

Read more: http://vaccinations.suite101.com/article.cfm/vaccinations_as_sources_of_earnings#ixzz0XokqSkQr

So there is profit for the pham companies (not necessarily the doctors). Those vaccines that are not profitable are suffering from shortages. My point still stands unless they are not making money off of the H1N1 vaccine.

Last edited:
I don't see all the fuss over it, nothing but media hype. Swine flu isn't as bad as the seasonal flu, but the media brands it as "the next big killer".

Exactly

I'm not going to get the flue shot, I could but I think I'll survive alive without one.

I went today. Showed up, got my ticket, sat down, filled out form, got shot, went home. Free of course.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/11/25/poh.jpg

Last edited:
Did it two days ago as I thought I might as well get one to be safe even though I had never gotten a flu shot before. And.... it was a lot less eventful then expected... went to the uni doctors office, sat down for 20 mins, a talk through by some random doctor, another 10 minute wait, then needle time! then a sore arm which is still going right now.

As a city employee I can get it for free, all I have to do is go downtown to the health clinic and give them my name and I'd be out the door after the 10 minute waiting period to make sure I don't pass out from it or something, but I won't be. As mentioned time and time again, the h1n1 isn't all that bad relative to other stuff.

I think I have already had for the past week or so now, and can happily report that it's the "best" flu I've ever had :D
so no vaccine for me

"bump"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpe1u4cKbTk[/YOUTUBE]

Remember backwards woman? Her real name is crazy.

I wouldn't like to experience the side effects of the vaccination, so no.

^Same. I've been offered it for free on the NHS, but no thanks,

What the heck? :lol:

I think I'm going to retract my claims that she wasn't faking it.

Last edited:
I wont be getting it. Even by typing this post, I already feel ill from my needle phobia.

Plus, I'm not high risk. I'd prefer those who are to have it instead of me.

Last edited:
I find it pretty funny to know that they same people who created all the panic over H1N1 (the media) claiming that millions would die and everyone should get vaccinated. Are now claiming that it was a huge waste of money stockpiling it, the virus was never going to kill that many people and it was generally just a huge conspiracy by government ministers with shares in pharmaceutical companies to make money.

:rolleyes:

^What? Who is saying that? This is the first I'm hearing about it.

Some of the less well-regarded, sensationalist newspapers who created the panic in the first place.

Daily Heil, Tabloids ect.