The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

I can't believe the mighty MD-11 wasn't in this thread.

http://img689.imageshack.**/img689/6971/klmmd11schipholgtrnl.jpg

Made the picture myself, January 2008 @ Schiphol, Amsterdam.
It was really foggy, but the sun was just breaking through as the MD-11 accelerated down the Polderbaan.

My favorite airliner. Damn shame there aren't any left in US passenger service (well, except a couple charter birds).

My favorite airliner. Damn shame there aren't any left in US passenger service (well, except a couple charter birds).

Seriously, there aren't any MD-11's in US Passenger service? I didn't know that.

KLM still has ten. Also MartinAir (another Dutch airline) has 7 of them for freighter use.
Also, as far as I know neither of the airlines is planning on replacing the MD-11's. So why don't you come to Holland and 'spot' around Schiphol? :D

Edit:
Just found out KLM uses the MD-11 for their service to San Francisco.

Last edited:
but damn it looks good in the air

Antonov_An-22_1.jpg

like the fat russian guy said in 2012 when the little kid remarked "woah, big plane" ......"It's Russian"

Well, you can still see them hauling cargo. FedEx and UPS both have a bunch of them. Just like 727s, no airlines (excluding tiny airlines) still use them for passengers but they're still in regular use as cargo planes. I see FedEx 727s all the time, they don't fly any of the MD-11s here (as far as I can tell)

Needs more classic awesomeness:

aq5OR.jpg

Lo0ku.jpg

4XAYt.jpg

FNPEP.jpg

gOGyu.jpg

gydXw.jpg

8KWzn.jpg

ZSa3x.jpg

qnx5E.jpg

5mN67.jpg

[/End of vintage overload]

Makes me proud to work on 727s... KaJuN <3

Between the A320, the A330 the DC8 and this, i think the 727 is my favourite to work on.

ahh....the good old days when flying was actually something special and they don't treat you like a bunch of cattle on the way to the slaughterhouse (aka the airport)

And now for something completely different!

6wJyc.jpg

fuIyG.jpg

1tizI.jpg

TyahM.jpg

EBxER.jpg

NY Idlewild (now JFK) and the TWA terminal which is an architectural orgasm.

And now for something completely different!

* snips *
Dereks other pics

TyahM.jpg

OK, I?ll play.
Date: mid 1960?s
Aircraft:
a) Foreground ? VC-10 BOAC British
b) 2nd back ? Boeing 707 Aerolinas ? Argentina (Although the colours look like Lufthansa)
c) 3rd back ? Douglas DC-8 KLM the Netherlands
d) Background ? Boeing 707 Pan Am USA

Useless Knowledge Thread
:)

Continuing that theme...
l1011ba.jpg

The L1011 is a truly incredible aircraft. The number of technological and manufacturing firsts on that aircraft rivals even the Airbus A320 or the Boeing 707.

Lockheed, while they never built as many aircraft as their rivals, built some of the best and most iconic airliners of all time. Apart from the embarrassing ordeal with the L-188 Electra, they really can be considered to be the S-Class Mercedes of the skies.

As for my favourite airliner (apart from the Q400 I drive around every day), I quite like the old Boeing 737-200:

303859122_ad986a47a1_b.jpg

2858324490_7b54cb0761_b.jpg

The 737-200 is one of the only jet aircraft with wing-mounted engines that can operate safely from gravel runways. Spot the differences!

3066879978_be3d03cb9d_b.jpg

Also, just to give you an idea of the environment in which I sometimes fly, here's a shot of a Canadian North 737-200 taking off from Norman Wells, Northwest Territories:

http://img24.imageshack.**/img24/336/1603242.jpg

In case you're wondering, those are in fact contrails forming on takeoff. That's how cold it gets north of 60 here in Canada.

Oh, that's what airline that is. I think I knew that and then promptly forgot it again. I see their 737-200s quite often. Noisy engines on those.

I didn't even know SAS used to operate 747s in the 70s and the 80s... They apparently had ten of them, and used them on flights directly from Gardermoen, Copenhagen and Stockholm directly to New York, Atlanta, Seattle and Los Angeles.

Here's two in their old livery...

SAS7472.jpg

SAS7477.jpg

And two in their really old livery...

SAS747.jpg

SAS7478.jpg

The 747 is such a beautiful airliner...

Seriously, there aren't any MD-11's in US Passenger service? I didn't know that.

None in domestic service. The only US-flagged airline I can find which owns any still in passenger configuration is World Airlines, which has five primarily for Air Mobility Command missions (deploying and returning troops from overseas) and occasionally as a lease item to other airlines, and one on wet lease to SonAir for service between Houston and Angola. That SonAir bird is an interesting one, actually, since it's only configured with a handful of economy seats and the rest of the plane is stuffed to the gills with business and first class - but what do you expect from an airline that's primarily just an oil company's personal charter service? World also has nine cargo MD-11's, one of which is usually at BWI.

The MD-11 is such a prolific piece-cargo hauler that most of the passenger examples in the US ended up converted and belong to FedEx and UPS.

Beyond those, there's only one other MD-11 in the US, and it's a cargo example owned by a leasing company. Everything else belongs to a foreign company and only comes to the US on International flights.

Cliff notes: Most Americans will never experience one, but their xbox might have!

Remember when carriers flew 747s for international flights? Now it's all widebody 777s and tiny-looking planes that barely look like they had the range to get to Duluth, much less across the Pacific.

Impressive, sure, but at least the 747 is far more impressive and intimidating-looking. You boarded it and you just knew you were on an epic flight to exotic locales. What a fantastic airplane. :love:

And while we're at it, remember when McDonnell-Douglas was independent? I remember flying on DC-9s, DC-10s, and the occasional DC-11 on domestic connections. I also remember being able to identify pretty much every single domestic and long-haul aircraft from looking at the little silhouettes drawn in the safety brochures that I pored over meticulously while waiting for takeoff. Yeah, I was an airplane-spotter when I was a kid. :D

And while we're at it, remember when McDonnell-Douglas was independent? I remember flying on DC-9s, DC-10s, and the occasional DC-11 on domestic connections. I also remember being able to identify pretty much every single domestic and long-haul aircraft from looking at the little silhouettes drawn in the safety brochures that I pored over meticulously while waiting for takeoff. Yeah, I was an airplane-spotter when I was a kid. :D

Definitely, my grandfather worked for McDonnell Douglas before they were bought by Boeing, at the C-17 plant in Long Beach, CA. I also could basically tell what aircraft it was by age 7. And I got a ride in a C-17, was the most awesome aircraft I've ever been in, and that fact will most likely stay that way, sadly.

^^ In that case, I guess the British win. BA has more 747s than any other plane. The BA ramp at Heathrow is all 747s, it's awesome. And I didn't know that Air Canada flew 747s way back in the day... waayy back when the second floor was teeny tiny even.

Last edited: