Buying a 7-seater, but which one?

Yes, but I was comparing the S-Max and the Touran, and they are both "smaller 7 seaters".

True. When I originally wrote the post I confused the Touran and Sharan in my head.

As for wagons, they often can't transport 7 people even with a rear seat. The back is too small for an adult and often times a child small enough to fit there is also small enough to need a child seat or booster (often required by law) which can't be used at all in the rear facing position. They're good for transporting stuff but not so much for people.

Yes, but I was comparing the S-Max and the Touran, and they are both "smaller 7 seaters".

The Ford S-Max is bigger and more spacious than a VW Touran.

I read this thread title as "buying a 7 series" and I was all ready to tell you to buy a 750iL from 1989 and you'd have yourself a beautiful luxo cruiser.

Audi UrS6
IMG_0550.jpg

2 in front
3 in the back
IMG_0557.jpg

2 in the wayback

I've had great luck with my Toyota Sienna. It's getting up there in mileage so I'll probably trade it in next year for either a newer model or a Honda Odessey, but I've had no problems with this model and have driven it across the country many times in the last few years. It's very nice for traveling, moving, etc.

Last edited:
The S-Max is a full 36 cm longer than the Touran. The C-Max is Ford's answer to the Touran.

You can get 7 people in a V70 R......
The two emergency seats in the back may only be used by children, as the car is only type approved in the EU to carry four passengers. The rules allow children as additional passengers provided there are approved and suitable protection equipment, which the two rearmost seats are. So it's more "you can get five adults and two children into certain models of a Volvo V70" than "seven people in a V70".

Last edited:
In Australia we get the Japanse Honda Odyssey, not the US one, and that is a seriously good looking people carrier. If you get that one in Germany and its in the price range, go for it.
i_honda_odyssey_modulo_05oct%281%29.jpg

Otherwise, of those mentioned before, if you need the space constantly and not just now and then, the Espace may be a good bet, but otherwise the Touran.

Zafira FTW. It's just the best car in that class that doesn't look like nor drive like a van.

my dad drives one like this

764888_1.jpg

compromise though, if you install the rear seat, not that much storagespace is available anymore...

I have yet to drive an S max so I can't comment on it. I have driven a Cmax and was unimpressed with the styling and interior. It had a lot of power, but still I think the Zaf is a better car overall

Anyone care to lend me an Smax for a day so I can compare? :p

I've sat in a (from the look of things) fully loaded S-Max when I was buying my Focus. The current model has a very nice interior and is huge. I thought it was a Galaxy until I saw the badge.

The S-Max is nice but it's a much newer and more expensive car than a Zaffy. I agree with Noodle, if you need a smaller 7-seater the Zafira will fit the bill, and you'll easily find a reasonably well equipped and cared for Zaffy since they're everywhere.

You can get 7 people in a V70 R......
Now that's some sensible car buying advice.
For the others: forget the S-max, if I had the cash to buy it I would but remember the price range I'm in and the fact that I'm buying second hand. So to recap: no off-roaders, no fast audis or volvos for that matter and no imports from america.
I think I might actually end up with the zafira, it's cheap, it looks nice , it drives nice and has a clever interior. However I'm still open to suggestions.

Nobody mentioned the Citro?n Picasso yet. It's lacking in materials quality but it is clever.