do you watch Top Gear with your kids?

af250xxl

do you watch Top Gear with your kids?

my 3 kids, two girls and one boy(14, 8, 9) all love the show.... not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Reactions: MWF
They've seen the Reliant Robin Space Shuttle and know who the characters are, but aren't that interested in watching it with me. :p

I wonder if I can return them? No, wait, they wouldn't fit....

It used to be the family round, kids (aged 5-14), mother in law etc, Sunday dinner, settle down and watch, but the increasing swearing and sexual references, particularly in the most recent episodes mean it is no more. As an adult I can choose, but I?m sure many have been in the position where you just want the world to close up because Mum / Mother in law / Granny / Kids et al (delete as appropriate) are in the room and inappropriate material comes on. We have had ?travel rabbit? vibrator, women enjoying vibrating seat pads, genitals drawn on Jeremy?s face, images & references to masturbation, use of language which I would not use in front of my family.

Love Top Gear, a few facts, fantastic cinematography, wonderful imagination, great humour & originality; hate what they?re doing to it lately. On a recent radio interview, Jeremy explained that he uses a similar measure of acceptability (his kids, his mother) and with hindsight, episode 14X02 even overstepped this measure; too late matey boy, unless Top Gear is on and over before 8 p.m. it will be vetted because the trust has been lost. Now, James, Richard, Jeremy & Andy (Wilman), go and look at the correlation with the audience figures of late.

Now, James, Richard, Jeremy & Andy (Wilman), go and look at the correlation with the audience figures of late.

Viewing figures are down, not because it is on later or because of overprotective parents, but because it is up against "I'm a Celebrity" now in the 9pm slot. Which is increasingly popular for reasons I can't quite fathom.

If by children you mean the unborn ones still in my teabags, then yes.

But in all seriousness since internets is a srs bizness: If I had like 10 year old kids then probably yes I would let them watch it if they wanted.

Last edited:
My eldest (female, 8 nearly 9) and I have a running argument about the Cool Wall on our fridge. I have May in Sub Zero and Hammond in Uncool and she says that should be the other way around.

I simply point out that:
1. She is 8 and knows nothing. I know everything, apart from who her friends are and when she's due at the dentist which is clearly Hersworksfinetoo's responsibility.
2. She doesn't really know what a democracy is and therefore can't grasp that she doesn't live in one.
3. She's too small to reach that high and swap them over.

My son is nearly 3 years old, and his favourite shows are - and I'm not making this up:

- Yo Gabba Gabba
- Thomas
- Roary The Racing Car
- Numberjacks
- Top Gear

He did like In The Night Garden, but he seems to have grown out of it. :D

I don't have kids, but a friend watches it with his 3 y.o.

My parents have always watched Topgear with me. Probably started because I've [genuinely] loved cars all my life, and undoubtedly watching Topgear has only made this love greater. But yes, my parents watched (old, and then new) Topgear with their kids (although my sister wasn't ever really that interested). And I loved it.

My parents just happen to be in the room when I put it on, so they watch it with me or fall asleep.

I have a similar argument with my 9 year old daughter as MWF except she just gets a chair and changes it over or gets mum to do it.

Unfortunately she doesn't like Top Gear the TV show as it is "for smelly boys".

Fortunately my six year old son LOVES it and soaks up every episodes in giddy excitement - the more fast cars, screeching and noise the better.

My two year old also seems to be growing into it but I think at that age it's more about the bright colours and fast moving things - but then he also likes In the Night Garden, Pocoyo and Show Me Show Me so as far as I'm concerned he doesn't get a say with those tastes.

Reactions: MWF
It used to be the family round, kids (aged 5-14), mother in law etc, Sunday dinner, settle down and watch, but the increasing swearing and sexual references, particularly in the most recent episodes mean it is no more. As an adult I can choose, but I?m sure many have been in the position where you just want the world to close up because Mum / Mother in law / Granny / Kids et al (delete as appropriate) are in the room and inappropriate material comes on. We have had ?travel rabbit? vibrator, women enjoying vibrating seat pads, genitals drawn on Jeremy?s face, images & references to masturbation, use of language which I would not use in front of my family.

Love Top Gear, a few facts, fantastic cinematography, wonderful imagination, great humour & originality; hate what they?re doing to it lately. On a recent radio interview, Jeremy explained that he uses a similar measure of acceptability (his kids, his mother) and with hindsight, episode 14X02 even overstepped this measure; too late matey boy, unless Top Gear is on and over before 8 p.m. it will be vetted because the trust has been lost. Now, James, Richard, Jeremy & Andy (Wilman), go and look at the correlation with the audience figures of late.

This kind of a response is so sad to me.

If the kids are to young to know what is going on, what is the problem, and if they are old enough to want to know what is going on, then it should be explained to them.

I used to be a lot like you and just watching commercials with my family would embarrass me, but them I wised up.

I have not seen one thing on Top Gear I would class as inappropriate. Who is going to tell your kids what a travel rabbit is if it embarrasses you too much to do it. To my way of thinking, I would rather my kid heard it from me, and he did after I got smarter. I think it is only after YOU make something dirty that it becomes dirty to the kids.

My son is pretty old now (27) and to this day, there is nothing he will not ask me. And I like it like that. I wish I could have asked my parents some things when I was growing up. But it was not to be.

Well, I don't have kids (unless you count the pets but the cat does enjoy a good moving picture), but, no, I do not watch it with my parents. They would:
a) Not understand why I wanted to watch "a car show"
b) Not get 75% of the jokes ("what's a spanner?")
c) Be offended by the other 25% of the jokes ("I can't believe he said <whisper> penis")
d) My mom would CONSTANTLY comment on the use of British vocabulary (yes mom, I'm nearly 30, I know they call and elevator a lift, it's not cute, it's normal)

Biggest downside I could see is if the kids started to act like Jeremy Clarkson. He's an entertaining host and all but living with a personality like that would drive one crazy! ;)

I dont have kids, and wont have any in the future.
But if I did have kids, I would have no problem with them watching Top Gear at any age if they enjoyed it.
Not tied up by some religious dogma, so I see no problems with kids seeing stuff like that.

Last edited: