Guages

Yea I can put a 69mm in there. The ring has a 68mm or so hole in it. THe problem is finding a tach either in 69mm or 80mm that will show at least 8k and have a nice face.

Last edited:
Hokay.... guess BL was being pointlessly unique again. :p That comes out to about a 3 1/8" gauge for the 80mm.

Any preferences on face/numbers/ring colors?

I'd prefer LED or through dial lighting and a black face. The main thing in the end is having a tach which will go to at least 8k preferably a bit higher. Stack makes a nice gauge but I can't justify $400 for it.

Defi-Link Meters need to be connected to a Defi-Link Control Unit II.

Last edited:
This guy often carries new old stock and recon gauges like this one (sadly ended).

Or there's this one. A little more pricey but nice looking.

%21BcpRrNwB2k%7E$%28KGrHqYOKi4Eq5gv,n%29qBK1ZLVfFQQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

About this Gauges - Digital product

New Classic Range of 80mm diameter tachometers using a black dial, white LED backlight black bezel. These tachos combine the latest microprocessor controlled stepper motors giving digital accuracy with traditional needles for the classic look. Features include;
# Peak recall of maximum values
# Classic lights on illumination
# Selectable engine cylinders
# Digital filtering for hassle free connection to any ignition system
# Supplied with wiring loom, switch and complete instruction manual

The Defi gauges look tempting. The problem is I will want to replace all my gauges to match. They don't offer a fuel gauge.

Ok here is my plan. I will replace the four main gauges with Defi units:
Defi BF
1 Speedo 80mm
2 Tachometer 80mm
3 water temp 52mm
4 oil pressure 52mm

Then I'll add a cluster underneath the center console with more 52mm gauges. Still haven't decided which brand/series.
1 Fuel 52mm
2 Volt 52mm
3 EGR 52 mm

Ideas or suggestions?

Would I need an oil temp gauge?

Last edited:
Oil temp is nice but not mandatory.

And, of course, I like digital gauges. :D

Hmm I shouldn't have assumed Defi makes Speedometers. I'd like all my primary gauges to look pretty similar. So it looks like Defi is out.

Last edited:
Current plan:

Note: Smith's are the new remanufactured/look a like guages.

watermark.html

On the Main
80mm slots:
- Smiths Motorsports Tach in above post.
- Smith's Speedometer

52mm slots (see http://www.gaugeguys.com/Smiths/classic.htm):
- Smith's Oil/Water temp
- Smith's Oil pressure

dash.jpg

In the middle (bolted to the bottom of the dash where the stereo is) I'll add a 4 pod gauge:
- Dakota Digital (DD) Fuel
- DD Pyrometer
- DD Volt
- Some Wideband O2 sensor when I go MegaSquirt

Last edited:
Spectre, does the DD fuel gauge off a % based reading or only gallons. The on-line documentation is a bit iffy as to the display options.

Oh and does anyone have any suggestions on setting up the idiot light. Can I wire it to light up one of my lights when an error comes up?

EDIT: I looked at the service manual and it looks like I only need to hook up some wires. I'm a novice when it comes to electricity; what would be the most sane way of connecting multiple wires to the same light (better than soldering them)?

I have two lights; one red: I'll make it the "OH SHIT TURN ENGINE OFF NOW" light (little to no oil/coolant); one blue: less important stuff like need oil / coolant / etc).

Last edited:
The DD pyrometer doesn't go to 2000F. :(

I might have to go Autometer Cobra Digital.

The DD gauges go to percentages with most senders, but with certain senders some can give a gallons-to-empty count down.

W00t.

My new fancy motorsport tach has a full V bezel, but the other classic gauges offered by Caerbont are half Vs. Well looks like I am in luck.

http://www.speedycables.com/