Are you a dog person or cat person?

Are you a dog person or cat person?

• Total voters
Wow dog people just slightly edge out cat people.

I never expected that, I thought it would be the converse and that it would be a big differential.

I guess the people with dogs are having too much fun with them to be posting about them :devil:

:p

My cat just learned this (without me training him, only by watching what I was doing):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijGpSBKb63c[/YOUTUBE]

Not sure if I'm more a dog or a cat person. I often think that dogs are much all alike, while cats have much more different personalities. And they can go without me being at home for a couple of days (which isn't possible with a dog).

So for rather rational reasons I guess I'm more of a cat person. But not any cat, mind you!

Last edited:
Dogs got personality. Personality goes a long way.

Cats also have personality, and I agree it goes a long way.

I refuse to get into the cat vs. dog debate because it's just like the useless and tired Mac vs. PC debate. But it's funny that people just assume things about cats... they have personalities, they are loyal and they don't just love you for the food you give them. They seem very similar to dogs in that manner actually.

I know you didn't specifically say cats had no personality, I just assumed so sorry if I assumed incorrectly. ;) Just too many people dislike cats due to misinformation.

My cat just learned this (without me training him, only by watching what I was doing):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijGpSBKb63c[/YOUTUBE]

I had a cat who learned by watching me that you turn the doorknob to open the door. He stood on his hind legs and tried it, but couldn't grip the knob hard enough to actually turn it. He also saw me slit open a bag of cat food before I left for a volleyball tournament one weekend, and I had to keep subsequent bags of food in the cupboard else he would slit the bag open and help himself to the food inside.

And for people who say that cats aren't loyal, read this:
I have a condition called Chronic Venous Insufficiency - caused by my sitting on my butt for 7 and a half hours at my job in a call center. It flared up last Wednesday, and I went to bed early and kept the affected leg raised to allow the blood to drain out of my leg and back to my heart. Well, Fifi went to bed with me - like she always does - but this time, she spent the entire night beside me until I got out of bed 10 hours later. She never left the bed even when I got up to use the bathroom or went downstairs for a drink. Needless to say, when I woke up the next morning and saw that she was still there instead of sleeping on the recliner or sofa downstairs, she got a big hug from me.

speaking of usernames, are you shilling for some kind of airline company with yours? :p

Not unless NASA has taken a page out of Russia's book and started whoring out the shuttles lately. Did I miss a tweet? :p

I consider myself a 'cat person' mainly because those are the animals I have always had and looked after. As a family we've always wanted a dog, but we've never really had the appropriate space, or had enough time to regularly exercise one. If we had a dog it would be left at home by itself all day, five days a week, which just isn't fair or meeting it's needs for companionship. A cat's independence and ability to create their own amusement without being neurotic or destructive (knocking things down off shelves accidently not counting!) better suits our situation.

But yes, I do love both cats and dogs, in fact, most animals in general. Exceptions: several creepy crawlies esp. of the arachnid variety, and all snakes that are not harmless pythons or the like.

Cats not missing their owners is a bunch of malarky. Both of our cats come to see us when we get home, unless they're in the middle of a particularly good nap(usually cozied into some well hidden spot). They love their people nearly as unconditionally as dogs will if treated the same way. People often assume that just because a cat will still like you and make for a decent pet if you pay little attention to it, that doing so is the way it might as well be done.
When my parents got divorced, my mother got custody, and my father was rather upset, as expected. He was given a tiny kitten and immediately became rather attached to it (according to my grandmother he missed us quite a bit, and having a little baby of some sort helped). Right around the same time, maybe even before getting the kitten, my father badly broke his leg(dirtbike therapy) and was more or less relegated to the couch, spending all of his time with Husky(short for Husquavarna, see dirtbike). They became practically inseparable, Husky would walk with him to the corner store and wait outside, played fetch with a balled up strip of sweatpants torn fir over the full leg cast, and once my dad started driving again, learned the sound of his truck and would be waiting at the top of the driveway as soon as he pulled into the neighborhood. When my dad got custody about a year later, Husky was not fond of my baby sister getting attention, and never really liked her. For 16 years Husky continued to meet my dad in the driveway, fetch from time to time, and stay nearby for much of the time, regardless of fights with dogs, other cats, and feline AIDS(and subsequent pneumonia). Last spring he was still doing quite well, but died of a stroke, and while I wasn't there to see it, I know my father shed more than a few tears.

And trust me, In my life I've known dozens of cats(Dad's first wife(half brother's mom) was a bit of a crazy cat lady, had anywhere between 13 and 26 at any given time) and saw just as many different personalities.

I couldn't agree more. My cat is incredibly bonded to me and vice versa. He is always in the same room with me and if I'm sitting down he's touching me. He doesn't give his love away to just anyone with a biscuit either. It was 2 months in my house before I ever saw him, 9 before he first rubbed against my legs. He was apparently abused as a kitten and had 4 homes in his first year so he hides from strangers. When someone else is in my home is the only time he's away from me. He follows me to the bathroom and often sits guarding the door waiting. He sleeps on the bed and waits on the back of the toilet while I shower. Right now he's smooshed into about 4" of space in the chair beside me with his chin on my leg juts to be close. I keep trying to take a picture, but he wakes when I move. He plays fetch with his special ball, chases his tail, comes when I whistle, and likes to groom my guinea pig's ears. He's petrified of other cats including 3 week old babies and his own reflection. He has giant ears, long limbs, and crossed eyes. He likes to sleep under the the throw blanket with me on the sofa, but not under the covers at night. He has buckets of personality and has really enriched my life. He was a foster and supposed to be temporary, but I couldn't be more pleased that he chose me to stay with.

I have nothing against dogs at all. I adore dogs. It's just hard for me to understand how so many people hate cats. I can understand preferring another animal, but the hatred is weird.

Go (crazy) cat people! We're ahead by one... it's really weird that cats outnumber dogs by so many in the pet pictures thread.

Cat all the way, mine is less than a metre away from me stretched out on my bed purring madly. During the week I was away he apparently went nuts because I was missing and every time he heard my voice on the phone he started purring and rubbing the phone. I wub him <3

once my dad started driving again, learned the sound of his truck and would be waiting at the top of the driveway as soon as he pulled into the neighborhood.

Haha, my husband can tell when I get to the end of the street because Miya (my longhaired cat) jumps up and runs to the door. She must like me better than him though, because she won't get up for him until he remotely locks his car, setting off the little "honk".

But she's always there when we open the door.

My Blacky is extremely cuddly and follows me wherever I go. If I go to the living room, he follows me to the sofa and curls up beside me. If I sit at the PC, he's laying behind me on the bed. He even follows me to the bathroom, even when I go under the shower *lol*

And you should see the way he greets me, when I come home from work. That is a pure display of joy.

There is no way that somebody can tell me, it's not real affection:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3PVWwunahk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
But she's always there when we open the door.

Our cat did that. But then my dad accidentally stepped on his tail when coming home from night shift. After that he just watched from a chair few meters from the door.
Maybe he didn't realise that those silly two legged creatures can't see in darkness. :lol:

The loyalty thing is nice for sure, but can get out of hand sometimes like when you're done watching TV and you want to get up from the couch and go about your business, but you can't because there's a 12 pound lump resting in your lap and it won't get up no matter what.

I always have to fidget so much before he gets the message, at which point he'll crush my testicles as he's jumping off. Every damn time with the ball crushing... :lol:

Oh my god the ball-stomping. I swear my dog went to school to learn how to always do it when I'm not expecting it. She does the same thing to my girlfriend's boobs, a right-good jab out of nowhere. And she's not 12 pounds.

My cat does the ball-crushing thing, too. But then she makes up for it by kneading my lap. (Her front paws were declawed by her previous owner.) It feels great, but we both end up taking a shower and not looking at each other for a few hours afterwards.