Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Engine braking is possible in some automatics, but only when you manually select gears. Also, driving in snow with an automatic often involves manual gear selection.

Well, not in the Volvo then...I can select L - which skips 1st gear, and the car sets off in second. This can be useful on hills, and if you want to avoid wheelspin, but for some reason I don't like how it's done.
The other thing I can do is to block my Overdrive gear...well in these condition, I didn't exactly reach a speed that would require the overdrive altogether.

Ah Damn it!!! I just remembered something...my transmission is computer controlled and has Economy, Sport and Winter buttons. I completely forgot about that. I have no idea how the car would drive in Winter mode.
I guess I need to go out and see for my self :)

Don't you have the "Snow" mode on your gearbox?
That's a lot of snow :)

It was kind of fun today though. I would shift into drive, and the car wouldn't creep. Rev above 2500rpm and I got some movement, and wild wheelspin.

I also had another observation - automatics are useless in snow!!! I'm going along in First gear, keeping it in the torque range, when the stupid thing decides to shift up to second, putting me at 1500rpm and no torque. Few seconds later, after I step on it, it shifts back to first. Grrr...

And also, unless I'm much mistaken - there is no way to do engine braking in an automatic. Even though the car has ABS, on a few occasions I could feel (with my ass on the seat) that there is very little traction and if I even touch the brake pedal I'll end up in the ditch.

If I remember correctly it stops you from starting out in too low a gear.

In my car the snow button affects the gear changes a bit, but mostly it just numbs the heck out of the throttle.

It's actually kind of funny to just put it on and try driving on dry roads... you put your foot all the way down and you feel about 25hp kick in. :lol:

It helps when there's actually snow though, for those who don't have too much experience with snow and forget to go easy on the gas.

Yea it pretty much is an idiot switch. Though not necessarily a bad thing.

On a related note I am starting to like J-Gate a bit more. Still would rather have a proper gearbox, but it is still better than previous autos I've driven.

That's a lot of snow :)
I also had another observation - automatics are useless in snow!!! I'm going along in First gear, keeping it in the torque range, when the stupid thing decides to shift up to second, putting me at 1500rpm and no torque. Few seconds later, after I step on it, it shifts back to first. Grrr...

And also, unless I'm much mistaken - there is no way to do engine braking in an automatic. Even though the car has ABS, on a few occasions I could feel (with my ass on the seat) that there is very little traction and if I even touch the brake pedal I'll end up in the ditch.

A lot of modern automatics are useless because the lowest gear you can manually select is 2, which is positively idiotic IMO. I like my old stone age pre-electronic slushbox because it will stay in whatever gear I put it in.

And autos most certainly will engine brake. It's a nasty trick that I will play on tailgaters who fail to take a hint if driving slower and slower doesn't work. With the high-ish compression of my 455 it slows down as fast as a moderate press on the brakes. But compared to that, I doubt a smaller displacement engine in a heavier car like your volvo would do much in the way of engine braking.

Oh, lovely. I get my car back from the shop, drive it all of 5 or so miles, and the front end starts making a really beautiful clunking sound on each and every bump I happen to even see on the road.

Grrrr...

We got 4 inches of snow today...
In these conditions I have to concede - Posmo is right. RWD is better.

Incorrect, this just means your Lolvo is bad in snow.
I've drive FWD for 99% of my life, and I get on fine in snow.
I had a Polo just like yours and they're awesome in snow (Scandinavian flick FTMFW)... My Astra even manages to be fun with an ABS and ESP which I can't turn off

Just thought I'd mention that I nearly drowned the SIII yesterday while out on a local lane. I spotted a dirt track with a height restriction sign and wondered if it was a public road. Turns out it is and I had a look for lanes in the area while I checked, finding a couple of lanes I hadn't seen before.

So I went out yesterday afternoon to have a look. The first lane had a ford in it and I could see a couple of Land Rovers coming the other way, so I stopped and walked down to the ford to see how deep it was and if they were going to go through it. They decided to go through but their vehicles were much better prepared than mine so they were (just) okay, but it still came over the bonnets of both. There was no chance of me getting through so I decided to skip the first part of the and go around to the second, which they said was fine.

On the way I noticed there was a burning smell which turned out to be the handbrake stuck on, but I'll tell you about that at another time. The lane was fine until I reached what would normally be a small stream, but with the rain we've had it was now a proper river. I checked the depth with an old fence post leaning up against the bridge and it was quite deep but was acceptable. Anyway, I went for it and the water came up and over the bonnet and through the bottom door seals into the cab. It was doing fine until it got halfway up the bank out of the water and it stalled. I managed to pull the choke out, put it into first and restart the engine and it dragged itself out. Luckily I was at the end of the lane so there were no other obstacles, I wouldn't have wanted to go back through there.

Unfortunately I then drove home with the choke out, so I must've done about 6mpg and now there's no petrol left. :roll:

Last edited:
458xxb.jpg

A 458XX would be sweet.

I think thats already in the works. The 430 is getting old anyway.

^ Yes, it is kind of "old", but it's still whooping Porsche's ar*e. Ferrari 1-2-3-4 at Le Mans this year, only one Porsche finished and it was not even classified.

On a more mundane note, I've just driven for the first time by myself in the car. It's a lot better without someone constantly in your ear. Just a bit of music, the sound of the engine (well... since it's a diesel... um... yeah, you know what I mean) and it's much better. It also makes me somewhat calmer at the wheel.

Just thought I'd mention that I nearly drowned the SIII yesterday while out on a local lane. I spotted a dirt track with a height restriction sign and wondered if it was a public road. Turns out it is and I had a look for lanes in the area while I checked, finding a couple of lanes I hadn't seen before.

So I went out yesterday afternoon to have a look. The first lane had a ford in it and I could see a couple of Land Rovers coming the other way, so I stopped and walked down to the ford to see how deep it was and if they were going to go through it. They decided to go through but their vehicles were much better prepared than mine so they were (just) okay, but it still came over the bonnets of both. There was no chance of me getting through so I decided to skip the first part of the and go around to the second, which they said was fine.

On the way I noticed their was a burning smell which turned out to be the handbrake stuck on, but I'll tell you about that at another time. The lane was fine until I reached what would normally be a small stream, but with the rain we've had it was now a proper river. I checked the depth with an old fence post leaning up against the bridge and it was quite deep but was acceptable. Anyway, I went for it and the water came up and over the bonnet and through the bottom door seals into the cab. It was doing fine until it got halfway up the bank out of the water and it stalled. I managed to pull the choke out, put it into first and restart the engine and it dragged itself out. Luckily I was at the end of the lane so there were no other obstacles, I wouldn't have wanted to go back through there.

Unfortunately I then drove home with the choke out, so I must've done about 6mpg and now there's no petrol left. :roll:

Are you into winching? :lol:

Incorrect, this just means your Lolvo is bad in snow.

It means that the lolvo is safe in snow.. :p or that HV is a bad driver..
However my 745 is epic in snow! rwd ftw!!

Last edited: