[14x04] December 6th, 2009

[14x04] December 6th, 2009

• Total voters
My guess was either a footballer or some dude from Spandau Ballet. Wrong Kemp, then.

Top Gear: +10 (by default)
Airport Race: -1 (predictable and getting old)
Crashing and sinking the Twingo: -1 (unnecessary)
No James: -3 (self-explanatory)
Village People: +1 (made me laugh)
Bleached Hair Girl: +1 (distracted me)
--------------------------------------
Gave it a 7 ;)

That Twingo bit... in the sewage tunnel had me in stitches! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Didn't make me laugh and neither it did wake my car loving side.
I would really hope they would talk more about cars than about the random stuff on the news :( They haven't mentioned new BMW 5, right?

- Special edition Range Rover was fun.
- I loved the buss and caravan race, but the airport race just did nothing to me.
- Twingo was ok.

I have enjoyed this season, but this was definitely lacking something for me.
6/10

The only upside was the airport race. The SUV review was stupid (I wanted a drag race between X5M and Q7 V12 at least to show the grunt these engines have) and as usually extremely anti-german-cars (not complaining about that, that's part of the TG concept). No mentioning that the S-Class had the dualscreen navigation/tv first etc.....but who cares.

I was extremely annoyed by the Twingo part, I just *HATE* good cars being crashed/trashed for no reason. When a piano drops on sth crappy, ok, but destroying a brand new perfectly good hot hatch....no.

Good ep, not as good as some of the others but not bad. Some of you guys are too harsh :)
7.5/10

Last edited:
Airport race - didn't like the original idea, didn't like it the third time.
News - I want to see cars, but, sadly, it's not gonna happen.
SUV - liked it!
SIARPC - didn't saw it, will later.
Twingo - good review, but sad end.
Actually I gave it 5, because I want to see more of James in the show and I don't like so much the cocking part. As someone put it earlier - not a show, that I'll rewatch again. I've probably redone every single episode, until the last one or two seasons, 5 or 10 times at least.

4x05 (sports coupes) or 5x01 (muscle cars)? Because I watched 4x05 a bit earlier myself. (Also: Fixed.)

04x05. James' face trying to power-slide: priceless! And the little chat in the cafe after, that seems to be missing nowadays. Unlike many I enjoyed Johnny and Denise, they're both funny and don't take themselves seriously.

Different strokes for different folks.

Quite true. Every time they do a road test (ok I know the Balboni last week wasn't a fullon road test, and the Twingo was cocking about) people complain it should be on a track, but last season when lots of it was track-based people moaned about the lack of road tests!

I'd give it a 7/10 as well. I think Twingo in the tunnel was one of the best parts. That said, I also agree it needed more James. (Hopefully in a fortnight!)

:nod: what she said! And lots of other people too :)

Let's put it this way: I wouldn't call a fella who has been here a hell of a lot longer than you, and who has contributed a hell of a lot more to these boards than you, and is very much a TG fan (MWF just doesn't like the way it's going at the moment) a spammer.

Again, quite right, MWF has "paid his dues", he is perfectly entitled to express his opinion - which when he's not being lewd is generally intelligent and witty - and we think seniority counts for something. Johnny-come-latelys - show some respect and maturity.

Last edited:
I thought it was a great episode, my only negative thoughts about thrashing the car were related to me thinking about how much money this episode must have cost to make, with the airport vehicles getting ruined as well for the most part.

You don't usually see new cars getting launched into the ocean, Top Gear provided, lol

- The tunnel/sewer part had me VERY glued to my screen, even though I would bet my ass Jeremy wasn't driving I still didn't quite think he was going to actually do it.

- man in the boot had me laughing and I don't even know who he is.

- news was funny with the Audi A8 demographic stuff

All I would change would be the SUV's, I found it an alright review but they could have maybe found something else to do.

like everyone else mentioned already I think they could have used more James, And I hope they have a cheap car challenge again soon too.

Last edited:
LOL, I don't know why but I couldn't stop laughing throughout this whole episode, it's just funny somehow. And it is great to see Lady Gaga has joined the audience. ;)

Amazing episode!

One of the worst episodes ever IMO.

The only thing I did enjoy was the man in the boot of the twingo saying things during the review(I'm saying man because his name has no relevance to me).

The airport race was shit and I do mean shit, we've already seen the people carrier racing, bendy bus racing and caravan racing bit all the same idea with the same drivers and another one now. If you ask me 2 was just the right number, the bendy busses was another recycled bit from the other 2.

Jeremy failed to amuse me during the SUV test, he just proved that they were pointless, not such a hard thing to think for ourselves.

The news was again rubbish, just old humour with no car news.

What can I say then, this series has had the best first episode but it's getting gradually worse.

This was rather excellent, but the when Jeremy started to crash the little red car it all went downhill(I love Renault Sport cars)

Meh episode. I already regret rating it so high.

You're one of the people who complain about there not being enough cars.... Makes me wonder if they could do anything to make you happy!

Edit: I'm starting to think that the recession has started to make people feel a lot differently about expensive things getting destroyed.

Last edited:
I would give it a 6. Airport racing was ok, but not the greatest i've ever seen. The news were dull except for the YMCA-like guys. I didn't enjoy either the X5/Q7/RR review (i think they're pointless vehicles) or the SIARPC bit (Guy Ritchie was one of the most boring TG guests ever). The episode gets a 6 basically because of the Twingo bit, another "sensible" TG road test like the Fiesta one, the most enjoyable bit of the entire episode

Hope that 14x05 would be better than this, honestly...

I quite enjoyed this episode and for the first time this series an episode had me laughing and my attention all the way through.

I was expecting better performance out of those two German SUVs but with track being so wet that put a damper on times.

The news this week was also much better and the bit of the M5 CSL was right on the money.

A bit surprised at the negative responses in here.

What I liked about the airport race, and all the BTCC races on TG, is that you see vehicles that were never, ever intended to be raced or even to go over 10mph, being thrashed about. It's an absurd visual that makes my inner-child giggle. I could never get enough of the bendy-bus sideways action. You do it in a race format to give the film a basic premise to form around, but the film is really about watching vehicles do absurd things they were never made for, and on that I think the film worked. And I would not be against seeing the BTCC drivers back for a future film.

Not sure how you review three luxury SUVs and only put two around the track. But getting back to the absurd visuals, Jeremy trying to run over the film crew had me laughing.

I'm fairly certain not a single bit of that Twingo review was CGI. It'd cost too much to begin with, and what needed to be CGI'd that they couldn't do in the real world? Nothing. The tunnel loop was barely achieved and looked a bit messy. I'd suspect if it were CGI they'd have made it look a bit more correct. And, again, it goes back to those absurd visuals. Watching the Twingo go flying off the pier was EXCELLENT. Right up until the last moment you're not sure if they've done something so that they'll actually make the jump or, if not, what? To have it just dive right into the ocean like that was a great choice. Rather than end on some spectacularly successful note, as you'd expect in just about any other show, they spectacularly fail. It's great.

I also don't care that they reused the Fiesta film format. It's like complaining that Jeremy took a car out onto the track to review it. "Oh no, they're doing the same thing again by driving the car around the track. Why don't they do something different?" It was a different and unique review presented through a similar format. I suspect we'll see a Mr. Needham review again.

And despite the absurd visuals, I thought it was a very thorough review. I was especially happy with the Fiat 500C Abarth comparison, giving you a really good idea of just where the Twingo fit into the market. I'm sure more than a few people were sitting there, even before the film aired, wondering why bother with a Twingo when the 500C was coming to market.

Anyways, I give it a 7/10. Lack of a James May film and a somewhat muted guest.

Last edited:
Trollbooth you talk sense. Enough negativity folks!

It was a good episode. I think some are just rating it low because they are depressed about their own pathetic lives.

8/10