Are you afraid of spiders?

Are you afraid of spiders?

• Total voters
What about a snake spider hybride? A snider if you will.

Dee Snider scares the fuck out of me.

dee-snider.jpg

And yes I hate spiders.

Last edited:
The only spider I'm genuinely afraid of is the Funnel Web. This mofo actually stalks you and attacks without provocation. Fortunately they tend to confine their blood thirsty activities mainly over on the Eastern seaboard and I've never yet come into contact with one.

The Redback Spider is a nasty looking bitch. We kinda have an infestation of them in and around the house at the moment. They live in the cardboard boxes outside the kitchen window and have extended their range to the barbeque and plastic deck chairs alongside near the back door. We dont really interfere with them mainly because we can't be bothered. When it's BBQ time we'll give the whole area a thorough going over. Inside the house is a different story. Our sofa became infested, you could see the thick, white webs they'd spun in the corner of the cushion extending down into the sofa. Lots of Mortein for that one.

We get the usual Huntsmans as well, but although they're pretty big and scary looking I try not to interfere with them. They're fairly passive and the best thing to do with them is to take them outside. My grandfather would often pick them up in his bare hands...I dont have that sort of courage so it's a Tupperware container and a piece of paper for me :p

I dont have that sort of courage so it's a Tupperware container and a piece of paper for me :p

My brother is always in the garage, he sees them a lot.

He tends to use degreaser or spray paint + matches.
There's some colourful stencils on the floor of the garage lol.

I'm in an area that gets Sydney Funnel Webs, Redbacks (like everywhere else in Australia) and White Tails. I often find White Tails on the walls of my lounge room.

I'm not afraid of spiders. Could be because the biggest ones we have here are physically no bigger than my thumb, while their bite is no more dangerous than a wasp's sting. (ie; can be a threat if you're allergic)

I used to have a fascination for them many years ago, so I have several plastic/rubber toy spiders at home. I still like watching them. On my way to school I walk past Oslo Reptile Park, where they have some nice ones... I'm actually thinking of taking a course in macro photography that they are offering in cooperation with Nroway's largest photographic store, FotoVideo.

I'm not afraid of spiders. Could be because the biggest ones we have here are physically no bigger than my thumb, while their bite is no more dangerous than a wasp's sting. (ie; can be a threat if you're allergic)

If only it were that easy for the rest of us. I'm quite afraid of bears myself, even though the biggest ones we have here are named Pooh and very easy to subdue.

^ not true we get the real ones in the suburbs.

Though you might as well name those poo too, they tend to be found in trees too scared to get down. The turkeys are more dangerous.

But I do like the golden orbs because I don't bother them and they don't bother me. Plus, they get rid of garden pests like birds, cats and small children.

This line made me laugh a good bit... but then, I realised, this is Australia you're talking about. So it's probably true! :shock2:

I absolutely hate Spiders and I'm very afraid of them. So I attempt to kill every single one I come across as in my viewpoint its either I kill them or they eventually bite me. If its in my room I either get the vacuum cleaner out (especially on the roof) or a lid of some sort and catch it in that. If I do get it in the lid I will then place a piece of paper underneath the lid and then sticky tape the hell out of it so that the spider cant get out. Then once I know its safe I will figure out a proper way of destruction.

I'm not too keen on them. But due to the country I live in, I think it's understandable. We mainly get wolf spiders, huntsmen and those nasty-looking black house spiders that like to build webs in window frames or behind the toilet in our house. I have also seen a redback once, hiding behind a box in the garage - it quickly met Mr. Shoe. The bigger ones usually just chill out on a wall or the ceiling doing no real harm (although sometimes I'm a bit uneasy walking underneath them) so they usually just get left alone.

BTW our 'pet' wolf spider, whom we named Ike, is now no longer inside. He found is way onto the bottom of a bread board and gave my mum a fright when she picked it up and put her hand quite close to him before she what was clinging underneath (he's was a pretty small wolf spider, either a small species or a juvenile, about the size of a poker chip). But he thankfully, and most likely understandably, froze in fear rather than biting her, so she just carried the bread board outside and Ike crawled off it into a plant. He's probably better off outside anyway, as I think his species are ground-hunters and he was kinda stuck on the kitchen walls and couldn't seem to find his way back to the ventilation grate he came in through - most likely to escape the heat we had a few weeks ago. I can go into the kitchen and use things without worrying a little about where Ike is hanging out, LOL! :lol:

Last edited:
i love to look at them, fascinating animals

don't want to touch them though :shivers:

Thought this might be appropriate:
spiders.jpg
(P.S. I didn't make it)

Also, I've heard that on average, everybody swallows three spiders a year in their sleep. Does anyone know if this is true?

some have tried to convince me of this as well

others have told me you don't have a swallow reflex when sleeping...

Oh my god... why... WHY did I click that spoiler tag??? *shudders* I have a massive phobia of spiders, I can't look at them and if one is near me I start hyperventilating, I really can't look at spiders at all!!!

Oh my god... why... WHY did I click that spoiler tag??? *shudders* I have a massive phobia of spiders, I can't look at them and if one is near me I start hyperventilating, I really can't look at spiders at all!!!

I'm very nearly that bad which is why I REALLY appreciate those of you that have chosen the spoiler tags. Of course it'd be my own fault for clicking a thread with spider in the name and then complaining, but in this case spoiler tags = VERY cool.