Official 2010 F1 Pre-Season Thread

Following this logic they should award medals up to the 10th place in the Olympic games too because there are many more people taking part than in the 80s. :p

:lol:

It will take some time before I get used to the new points system, but I agree that some kind of a change was needed in that area.
Awarding more drivers is right; the 5 points difference between the winner and the 2nd place driver is not enough though, IMO.

They request....pay... then recieve..

They request....pay... then recieve..

Abu Dhabi will host the final round of the 2010 Formula 1 world championship after a late date change was confirmed by the FIA World Council today.

autosport

Article says this is due to Brazilian scheduling conflict.....

Guys, we need to have this into perspective. Today F1 cars are far more reliable than the last time we had 26 cars on the grid; back then we regularly had nigh-on 10 mechanically-induced retirements in a race, right now in some races we can't even muster a gearbox or a brake failure, God forbid an engine letting go. So we need rewards lower-down in the field, because, if we think about it, in the 1980s the average of finishers was probably about 10-12 per race. Right now, with 26 cars, it might be at least around the 18-20 mark. So expanding the points system to account for this is a sensible move, in my view at least.

Sense. This man speaks it.

I really hate the new points system, point should be something special and not a reward for 10th place.
Imho the 10-6-4-3-2-1 system was the best, a victory was really worth something and even if there were some DNFs you didn't automatically get a point.

+1

If they decide to run this new point system long enough, pretty soon it will destroy all the old records, making them completely irrelevant to the modern day F1.

Right now it's still sort of semi-related, the points system are similar enough for fans to be able to compare drivers from different era. It kind of put things into perspective. However, this new point scoring system will change everything pretty soon.

Following this logic they should award medals up to the 10th place in the Olympic games too because there are many more people taking part than in the 80s. :p

Couldn't agree more : )

I also dont like the new system. Main points being the fear of another Button situation, specially since the rule changing frenzy didnt stop this year, with kers going out, refuelling banned, smaller front tyres, etc etc... there's gonna be a team that's going to get lucky and get ten kajillion points till everyone else catches up and it's going to be boring again.
Then the amount of points that turn this system totally uncomparable to the previous years... records are going to be smashed stupidly. Just as trivia, if Michael Schumacher had raced with the current point system in his last championship winning year of 2004, his tally would have been 370

I agree with giving the winner a bigger gap... cos it's about winning after all. But perhaps we should have waited on to let the sport at least settle down... too many rule changes, too much randomness in my opinion.

Why not an extra point for the fastest lap? Or an extra point for pole... I'm sure if people sit down and think hard they can come up with something more sensible than this new point table... If the F1 management has ran out of ideas, call Jeremy and he'll put miniguns on the cars.

Different area of logic there. :lol: Here we're also talking about distribution of TV money, prize money from the FOM, and bringing points down to 10th place will make this distribution somewhat easier, because you won't have to rely so much on countbacks if more teams got nothing under the old system.

Last edited:
+1

If they decide to run this new point system long enough, pretty soon it will destroy all the old records, making them completely irrelevant to the modern day F1.
Couldn't agree more : )
Fair enough but I think a lot of the new teams will quickly leave F1 if they see that they aren't getting any. We would have more teams with almost no (or 0) points in the championship.

No, you're mixing up two issues. Medals are one thing - still there will 3 drivers on a podium like in any other sport. Championship points are something completely different. In some sports much more people (30 for example) get points and even in percentage it is more then will be in F1.

And, as a matter of fact, 8/20 is slightly more than 10/26 (0.4 > 0.38), so if we have a 26-car grid, proportionally you're actually rewarding less of the field.

Last edited:
And, as a matter of fact, 8/20 is slightly more than 10/26 (0.4 > 0.38), so if we have a 26-car grid, proportionally you're actually rewarding less of the field.

Stop bringing facts into it. Don't you know that this change is destroying 100's of years of F1 tradition and is tantamount to digging up Senna and pissing over his corpse? (According to the Autosport forums anyway)

Dangit. This silly season / points changing / team folding end of year crap is doing me head in!

I've tried to keep my head in the sand so as not to go nuts pining for the season to start - to no avail. I keep finding myself trawling F1 news sites, even the crap ones, pretty much every day. Also, speaking of Autosport, I've recently started reading their Racing Comments forum and....uh, Victor, you and your fellow mods are officially brave / insane / whatever trying to deal with that place! Good luck, mate! :lol:

^ It usually goes pretty well, except when you're trying to deal with two or three deluded characters who, as I found out from the admins that were there from the start, have been causing havoc for years on end.

Schumacher is most certainly back.

Due to many sources, he will race for a slim 5.000.000? for Mercedes together with Rosberg and become a "motorsports ambassador" for Merc.

Does that mean he doesn't have to drive only Fiats anymore? :p

Wow. I wonder what Ferrari has to say to this

Haha I wouldn't bet on it... 5 mill is nothing for him, like toilet paper... and Fiat and Ferrari still own his soul, he couldnt even drive a Suzuki for TG just this year, I dont think they'll let him drive for Merc

aha I wouldn't bet on it... 5 mill is nothing for him, like toilet paper... and Fiat and Ferrari still own his soul, he couldnt even drive a Suzuki for TG just this year, I dont think they'll let him drive for Merc

Most likely they dont have a choice. I remember someone a while back said that their new contract was never actually signed, meaning he can technically leave, though I dont know how oral agreements hold up in Italian court. Now Schumi wants to race. Ferrari doesn't have a seat, and since he really wants one, he is more than willing to trade his lost income to have another shot at the big stage. To top it all off he and Ross were super tight back at Ferrari and I assume that has a certain influence in his decision.

It'll be weird seeing him in anything but a Ferrari as that's the only team I've known him to drive for since I started watching in 1997. Obviously I know he drove for Benetton but I didn't really follow F1 back then and have only read of his involvement with that team in literature and old races/highlights.

I guess for him the chance to work with Ross Brawn is a big incentive as their careers have been pretty well intertwined since his arrival at Benetton in 1991. They know each other's style and work extremely well together. Alarm bells should be going off in Nico Rosberg's head...there's a good chance he is going to get shafted, especially if Schumacher starts beating him on a consistent basis. Maybe he would've been better off in the second McLaren seat instead.

I still don't know about Schumacher's return. He was always the enemy to me given that I was a Hakkinen/McLaren fan and he represented the opposition with Ferrari. I'd literally leap off the couch in joy whenever he or Ferrari screwed up their races (although this was usually pretty rare, especially from 2001-2004), to the benefit of McLaren Mercedes or not.

It took me until 2005 to begin to appreciate his involvement with the sport and realise that we're seeing a greatness/dominance that probably hasn't been realised since Fangio. I rate Schumacher higher than Senna because of his cold, analytical approach to racing. I think Senna often let his temper get the better of him, to his detriment. Schumacher had the balls to go from a winning operation in Benetton to the lame horse that was Ferrari, and with Jean Todt created one of the best racing teams ever witnessed. His drive in Brazil 2006 was a staggering effort and right up there with the all time greatest individual drives.

You have to say, the history for comebacks isn't good. Lauda made it work with McLaren in 1984, but I don't really know of any other successful examples. Prost in 1993 perhaps, but he only sat out one year with no real change in the technical regulations from 1991-1993. Alan Jones, Nigel Mansell, Jacques Villeneuve, to name three, have all tried comebacks with, quite frankly no success. The cars have changed significantly since the season ending race in 2006 to where we are now approaching 2010. It should play to Schumacher's strengths as the cars are a little more organic, but I'd hate to see him flounder around at the back of the pack and ruin his legacy. If, in the seemingly likely case he does come back, I wish him all the best, one place behind the McLarens of course ;)