James is on HIGNFY on 11/12/09

Really great episode.
The sucking hamster bit made me laugh so hard I nearly broke my spleen! :rofl: My mind is rolling in the gutter with that one!
I can't wait to see what the longer edit looks like tomorrow.

I would seriously bow to the Beeb gods if I could have James on QI. That'd be brilliant, I think.

I might have tweeted Stephen Fry about this several times already. ;)

Right, i'm off to twitterspam Stephen, Mrs Stephen, AE, Tewlop and anyone else I can think of! :wicked:

I'm looking forward to the extended edit tonight - James hardly got a word in edgeways last night.

He should definitely go on QI, though. I think he'd be really entertaining on that!

More than a lot of HIGNFY guests say.

Remember that this is the half-hour edit of what is a 60-70 minute live show, so some of what he said may have ended up on the cutting room floor. There's a 40 minute edit airing tomorrow.

The other thing to bear in mind too is that most guests are lucky to get a word in edgewise, mainly as Hislop and Merton tend to dominate - rightly so, as they're genuinely funny.

Mmmmmh, Reginald Hunter did manage to slot a gag or two, so no excuse there for May whose only contribution was to giggle like a schoolboy for most of the show.
As for Hislop and Merton being funny well, I tend to agree with Will Self's remarks from yesterday (that a coincidence, cheers Will), they have lost their edge. Having said that I reckon there is more to it than just an opinion on things, maybe a clash of egos?
For those interested: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/12/11/has-will-got-news-for-ian-115875-21888207/

I thought it was something in the water. Anywhoo 'no one' lives in Saskatchewan surely?

I live in Saskatchewan dammit! Actually the province is even growing for the first time in decades, and is the least recession-y place in the world. It's crazy.

I'm looking forward to the extended edit tonight - James hardly got a word in edgeways last night.

He should definitely go on QI, though. I think he'd be really entertaining on that!

:welcome: You are obviously a woman of taste and discernment!
You join us on a very auspicious day ;) (it's me barfday innit)

Mmmmmh, Reginald Hunter did manage to slot a gag or two, so no excuse there for May whose only contribution was to giggle like a schoolboy for most of the show.

Reg D Hunter, who is a stand-up comedian and well-used to improvisation? Comedians do come out well on HIGNFY. It's actors and politicians that usually make arses of themselves (see : Boris Johnson, Alan Duncan) or have no contributions at all (see : Arlene Phillips a few weeks back, Robert Llewellyn a year or so ago).

As for Hislop and Merton being funny well, I tend to agree with Will Self's remarks from yesterday (that a coincidence, cheers Will), they have lost their edge.

I agree with you there, too - I've a dvd or two of some of the older HIGNFYs. It's still funny to watch, though.

Will they show the extended version on iPlayer?

They normally put it up a few minuets after the extended show has aired.
The extended show is on BBC 2 at 9.30 just before the last ep of in the thick of it which after what happened last week is a must see for me.

Last edited:
They normally put it up a few minuets after the extended show has aired.
The extended show is on BBC 2 at 9.30 just before the last ep of in the thick of it which after what happened last week is a must see for me.

Oh hell yeah, I'm gonna miss Thick! Brilliant!

Reg D Hunter, who is a stand-up comedian and well-used to improvisation? Comedians do come out well on HIGNFY. It's actors and politicians that usually make arses of themselves (see : Boris Johnson, Alan Duncan) or have no contributions at all (see : Arlene Phillips a few weeks back, Robert Llewellyn a year or so ago).
Agree, stand-up comedians and funnymen would fare better, but the point I was actually making (sorry I wasn't clear enough) was about your editing argument. I don't believe May had less chances time-wise to slot a joke or two in that half hour. :)

...extended version of HIGNFY cancelled for tonight due to live snooker running late. What the hell?!

It's now on on Monday at 11.20.

Honestly, beeb, Top Gear gets buggered around due to snooker and now you possibly screw up the series finale of The Thick Of It, your best comedy in years, for this?!?

Agree, stand-up comedians and funnymen would fare better, but the point I was actually making (sorry I wasn't clear enough) was about your editing argument. I don't believe May had less chances time-wise to slot a joke or two in that half hour.

Sorry, my bad.

He was relatively quiet last time too - though that was also compounded by Merton's Prince Philip brilliance - but at least Reg and James Research Global Warming was a fantastic bit.

Plus, McNulty as host yaaaay!

Last edited:
now you possibly screw up the series finale of The Thick Of It, your best comedy in years, for this?!?

in-the-loop-teaser-poster.jpg

:D:p

Snooker better finished soon or i may turn into Malcolm Tucker :shakefist:

That tirade last week was truly brilliant...

I want some kind of graph charting use of the 'f' word in each Thick ep.

The show has really gone downhill in the past few series. The most recent legitimately funny episode was the one with Clive Anderson last series.

Snooker better finished soon or i may turn into Malcolm Tucker :shakefist:

That tirade last week was truly brilliant...

I want some kind of graph charting use of the 'f' word in each Thick ep.

You should read my tweets I DID turn into Malcolm Tucker. I fucking hate snooker!
Never mind, it's on Monday night at 11.20 now, so will have to set the STB hard drive. If they move it again, Malcolm will have nothing on me!

And Malcom has dissed James again, it's like Dr Cox and Hugh Jackman :D

Last edited: