The Stargate Universe Thread

Well, honestly, I wouldn't mind if it never came back, would save me from the weekly disappointment :(

Well, honestly, I wouldn't mind if it never came back, would save me from the weekly disappointment :(

Indeed, if you dislike a show, how hard is it to stop tuning in, that's what I usually do :p

The only I am still watching and following this show is because it still interests me. Notice all the other tv series threads i don't participate in, its because *gasp* i don't like them and thus i stopped watching them. :lol:

bad news all, Stargate Universe has been renewed for a second season. hopefully they can fix what is wrong with the series and get back to what worked with Stargate and none of the crap they've been doing recently. http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/12/stargate-universe-renewed-for-second-season/

It?s official: Stargate Universe has been renewed for a second season, MGM and Syfy Channel announced late last night (via The Hollywood Reporter).

A 20-episode season will begin filming in early 2010 for a fall premiere. Meanwhile, the second half of Season One will return in April. Work on the first episodes of Season Two is already underway in Vancouver, British Columbia, where the show?s writing team has hammered out storylines and already started writing scripts.

The renewal comes as no surprise, with SGU relaunching the stalwart, 12-year-old franchise and bringing in brand new viewers with its markedly different tone and approach to storytelling. The show has averaged 2.6 million viewers with ?Live + 7 Days? DVR data taken into account, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

It?s the cable network?s second highest-rated show of the fall season, behind Ghost Hunters.

According to Syfy:

?In the eight episodes with full ?Live + 7? DVR viewing data, Stargate Universe?s first year has averaged 2.64 million total viewers, 1.66 million Adults 25-54, 1.47 million Adults 18-49 and 617,000 Adults 18-34, along with a 1.9 HH rating.
?Compared to the 2008-09 Stargate Atlantis Season Five, SGU jumped 55 percent in Adults 18-34, 36 percent in Adults 18-49, 31 percent in Adults 25-54 and 26 percent in total viewers.
Of course the studio isn?t saying just which cast members will be on the show next season. With another 10 episodes still to air in the freshman season, anyone is at risk of being killed off.

Syfy also announced the renewal of SGU?s Friday night companion series, Sanctuary. It will be the third season for the series that stars and is executive produced by Amanda Tapping, formerly of Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis fame. The series has averaged 2.2 million viewers this season.

Sanctuary will continue to air the rest of its 13-episode season into January, then return with Season Three in the fall. The renewal marks the show?s first 20-episode order, THR says.

Watch for the next new episode of SGU, ?Space,? when the show returns in April! In the meantime, we?ll continue to cover every moment of the franchise and look at Stargate Universe so far, right here at GateWorld.

That doesn't upset me, I just hope the stories get better. Remember, Star Trek TNG sucked until Season 2.

That doesn't upset me, I just hope the stories get better. Remember, Star Trek TNG sucked until Season 2.

Actually i thought TNG got better in Season 3. Season 2's only saving grace was that it introduced the Borg.

I was just looking on Gateworld (again) and it carries a interview done with Robert Cooper, the Executive Producer of SGU and its about changes being done to the series.

Also, the series is scheduled to resume on April 2nd.

There are changes coming to Stargate Universe when the show returns for the back half of the season in April, executive producer Robert C. Cooper says.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Cooper talked about a number of elements introduced early in the show which many fans have expressed concerns over. As it turns out, some of those same conversations were taking place in the writer?s room.

First on the list, perhaps, is the amount of time the characters are spending back on Earth ? rather than trapped on board the Ancient space vessel Destiny, billions of light years from their loved ones. On the show, these mental trips home are accomplished using Ancient communication stones, a technology which allows one to swap bodies with somebody back on Earth.

?It?s certainly been a hot topic of debate,? Cooper said. ?It?s very valuable in terms of tying the crew to Earth, and some have suggested the crew should be more isolated. There?s also a debate about the moral issue of how the [body swapping] stones are used and whether it?s right for a person to do certain things in the body of the another person and that?s interesting too.

?I think there?s some value in terms of seeing who they?re missing and the political ramifications of the Destiny?s mission back on Earth. We?re not going to abandon the stones, but the emphasis of the second half of the first season is more heavily weighted to what?s going on with the ship.?

Also conspicuously absent from the first half of the season: aliens. Though the producers didn?t want to distract from the core stories about the characters, they also recognize that life ?out there? is an important element of science fiction and the Stargate mythology.

?The show was always intended to be a drama and about people who are struggling to survive,? Cooper said. ?There is a sci-fi element, but it was never going to turn into the ?alien of the week.? However, there is a big story point coming up that does introduce an alien race that?s a very cool, CG alien. It?s more along the line of a District 9-type of alien. Our interaction is handled in a very Universe way ? they?re not the typical Stargate alien bad guys.?

Cooper also expressed a hope that those who have loved SG-1 and Atlantis over the last 12 years will come to embrace Universe for what it is ? not what it isn?t. ?Hopefully as it goes on, people will began to appreciate it for being its own thing,? he said. ?That?s all we can hope for. It sometimes takes awhile to overcome those expectations. I can?t really be upset that people came to love something I had a part in creating. But as a creative person you have to move on and have to grow.

?I don?t think we could have been successful in the exact same vein as what we did before. We had to evolve.?

Writing and principal photography on Season One has been complete since October. Scripts are currently being written for the just-announced second season (story).

Check out the full interview with Robert C. Cooper now at The Hollywood Reporter. The producer also talks about SGU?s female characters and some viewer criticisms, sex on the show, the use of kino-vision, and more. Stargate Universe resumes in April on Syfy in the U.S.

the actual website entry is at http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/12/cooper-on-changes-in-sgus-future/

That reads to me like more bullshit communication stones, no mate we don't give a fuck about the political intrigue

Actually i thought TNG got better in Season 3. Season 2's only saving grace was that it introduced the Borg.

Agreed, 2 great shows, TNG and ST: Deep Space Nine were awful and frankly unwatchable even today during their initial seasons.

Also having recently finished Stargate SG1 season 1 and almost done w season 2, i can season season 2 was FAR better than season 1, just on virtue that season 1 had to introduce a lot of story elements and do a lot of cookie cutter generic episodes. While season 2 had better stories to build off of that.

People who complain about how dissapointed they are in a first season of a sci fi series really need to calm down until later seasons come out.

The fact SGU is getting high enough ratings to warrant a renewal says that many ppl clearly disagree with those opinions.

That reads to me like more bullshit communication stones, no mate we don't give a fuck about the political intrigue

I'm sorry, I read the same article as you and I don't see that at all...

Last edited:
Also having recently finished Stargate SG1 season 1 and almost done w season 2, i can season season 2 was FAR better than season 1, just on virtue that season 1 had to introduce a lot of story elements and do a lot of cookie cutter generic episodes. While season 2 had better stories to build off of that.

agreed, Season 2 had one of the best episodes of Stargate and still remains one of my favorite episodes. "The Fifth Race" was the episode for me that turned the series from generic sci-fi show to must-watch program.

agreed, Season 2 had one of the best episodes of Stargate and still remains one of my favorite episodes. "The Fifth Race" was the episode for me that turned the series from generic sci-fi show to must-watch program.

Hopefully we get an episode like Fifth Race in SGU. My mind blew when I saw that. Awesome episode. And I was only a little kid when it came out!

First on the list, perhaps, is the amount of time the characters are spending back on Earth ? rather than trapped on board the Ancient space vessel Destiny, billions of light years from their loved ones. On the show, these mental trips home are accomplished using Ancient communication stones, a technology which allows one to swap bodies with somebody back on Earth.

?It?s certainly been a hot topic of debate,? Cooper said. ?It?s very valuable in terms of tying the crew to Earth, and some have suggested the crew should be more isolated. There?s also a debate about the moral issue of how the [body swapping] stones are used and whether it?s right for a person to do certain things in the body of the another person and that?s interesting too.

?I think there?s some value in terms of seeing who they?re missing and the political ramifications of the Destiny?s mission back on Earth. We?re not going to abandon the stones, but the emphasis of the second half of the first season is more heavily weighted to what?s going on with the ship.?

That to me reads like "we know the stones are boring, but we don't care we like them"

Seriously does anyone give a fuck about the political ramifications of the destiny?

Well, in a small way Stargate as always dabbled in the "political" side of the Stargate program, especially since the introduction of the IOA as a serious force in the story.

I wouldn't want them to ignore the IOA and what they may or may not plan to do with the ship, but at the same time if that is all they focus on, instead of driving the story of Destiny forward, it gets out of hand.

I will say, I don't like how the IOA in this series is overaggressive. I never got the vibe from SG:1 or Atlantis that the IOA really wanted to be in total control and would backstab the military command to achieve its ends like they seem to want to attempt to do on SG:U

I seem to be one of the few people who actually likes SGU. Now that most of the setting-up is done with characters and stuff it should improve.
There's supposedly a mahusive cliffhanger at the end of this season and I hope it's the one that didn't happen at the end of Atlantis...

Well, in a small way Stargate as always dabbled in the "political" side of the Stargate program, especially since the introduction of the IOA as a serious force in the story.

I wouldn't want them to ignore the IOA and what they may or may not plan to do with the ship, but at the same time if that is all they focus on, instead of driving the story of Destiny forward, it gets out of hand.

I will say, I don't like how the IOA in this series is overaggressive. I never got the vibe from SG:1 or Atlantis that the IOA really wanted to be in total control and would backstab the military command to achieve its ends like they seem to want to attempt to do on SG:U

Mind you I found the IOA a pretty dumb plot point as well

Well, the problem with the IOA was that at some point we all knew during SG:1's run that the rest of the world was going to find out. I mean, realistically, it would of been impossible to keep the program a secret. The IOA is just the result of injecting some real world sensibility into a fantasy story, problem with that is it takes away some of the fun. :/

The IOA has moved the story in a more realistic and plausible way, after all... if we were running a Stargate, I'm pretty sure the rest of the world would be pissed at us.

BUMP

[YOUTUBE]z6HvUGXjNnc[/YOUTUBE]

Looks waaaaaaaaay better than the first part.

//Edit: the embedding seems borked always adds an tag :/

Last edited by a moderator: