Jaguars....

Oh yes I forgot about the non-Jaguars you own.

Also, do you ever scare your potential business clients in your XJR? Just for fun?

That depends. If they're cool and ask for it, then yes, they can have an e-ticket ride. :D

It's also a great way of getting rid of potential clients I don't want. :D

Sod the supercharger ideas, how about twin turbos?!!

Am I right in thinking that these damilers are just badge engineered XJ6s?

Sod the supercharger ideas, how about twin turbos?!!

Am I right in thinking that these damilers are just badge engineered XJ6s?

Pretty much. There is a little more to it than that, of course. A Daimler (made in the UK - to distinguish it from a Mercedes) post-1960 is a Jaguar model with more luxurious appointments, additional accessories or kit, different trim (like a unique fluted grille surround and boot plinth, sometimes different suspension tuning, a few other tweaks and a much higher price tag. It is sold in non-UK markets as the Jaguar Vanden Plas model.

As for the car.... Chasseur wasn't noted for having everything well sorted. It would also probably have better off with a single larger turbo if it would fit or a blower like the stock I6 X300 XJR with the same engine (like mine) came with. He's only making 380 with that. The stock I6 R-model made 320; I modded mine and it makes 457 at the rear wheels.

Last edited:
And here's an update on our MegaSquirt project.

Recap:
We got first start on the MegaSquirt today. It ran for a few seconds then died - but that's just a matter of getting the warmup tables going and getting the fuelling and spark tables dialed in.

It took us forever to get the thing started this first time because, as it turns out, I'd made a wiring error and on top of that Milltek's Euro Sovereign doesn't quite match the standard wiring diagrams provided. Go figure.

Well, guess what. In true Top Gear fashion, the "how hard can it be" factor appeared. It wasn't just the tables that needed editing. The car would not stay running no matter what we did, and it was backfiring like mad at times.

1. MegaSquirt technically works with MAFs. The problem is that the entire system's software and settings seem to be oriented towards a MAP sensor instead of a MAF. It didn't seem to like our MAF very much. In fact, using the "proper" wiring scheme for it resulted in strange readings from the other sensors and totally improper fuelling once the thing started. We've discovered that (at least for our application) that we are going to have to get milltek's tune set up for a MAP, then at a later point convert to a MAF if he still wants to do so. We have ejected the MAF for the time being and fitted a 1-bar MAP from a 1994 Chevrolet Caprice instead. This improved matters.
2. At some point during this process (of discovering that the MAF won't work for now), the EDIS 6 control module blew its brains out and started firing the coil packs randomly. We replaced the module; the car got a lot happier, but it still wouldn't stay running for long, though it would let us rev briefly after start.
3. Since signs pointed to fuel starvation after start, we started checking for fuel. We discovered that the MegaSquirt wasn't controlling the fuel pump relay properly and that the car was sometimes shutting off the fuel pump after starting. We jumpered the relay as a temporary measure and got better, but not stable results. The jumper works fine while we are testing; we will be installing a new relay to do it properly - the MegaSquirt does switched ground for relay control, while the original Jaguar fuel pump relay network expects switched power.
4. At this point, we realized that our MSQ or configuration file was hopelessly cocked up from attempts to compensate for the problems the MAF had been causing - despite change controls. We started over with reloading a virgin codebase into the MS-II and a virgin configuration file. We threw out our old assumptions and started from scratch.

Between all this, here is the result:
Picture+8.png

It runs, consistently and for indefinite lengths of time (i.e., until we get bored and turn it off). NOW we're at the point of tuning and tweaking.

Now, this car has always been hard to start for some unknown reason. My 87 XJ has always started up immediately, where this 82.5 XJ with the higher compression engine would have to crank for a while and sometimes would take a number of attempts. Nothing has ever seemed to eliminate the problem, none of the "usual fixes" that apply to the US model Jags would do much, though the gear reduction starter we put on it aided somewhat and the MSD Blaster HVC coil we put on it mitigated some of the worst of it on hot days. It simply took two or three attempts to start it on average. Until now, that is.

Milltek was almost in tears when his car, despite having the roughest of tunes and running richer than heck, fired right up first tick - and kept firing up first tick, over and over and over again. :D

We have to neaten up the wiring and get some minor bugs worked out with routing and such, and then we can move on to dyno tuning.

Last edited:
Great to hear it's working out well! I want to see those dynos!

Yeah, the next thing I have to do is get some time and get ahold of an advance timing light to determine what the advance curve of the stock distributor is.

Tuning on a mac? I don't think I've ever seen that before :lol:

I don't know whether to say fail or win?

Actually, that particular set of software is platform independent, what with it being Java based and all.

It can also be tuned with an iPhone, which is definitely win.

And I did say that I'd be running a Mac mini in the car to do on the fly tuning and ICE duty. :D

Just a thought - have you thought about erasing the side markers completely? Or would that make it illegal?

Damn this thread and DAMN money and DAMNED PAKISTAN's AUTOMOBILE MARKET.

:p

This is almost the only thread (on finalgear) where I get ideas from and they WORK! Then people say, the ideas from the INTERNETS worked! Haha

yes, Spectre, I have been stealing your ideas, shamelessly, very shamelessly that is. :p

Last edited:
Just a thought - have you thought about erasing the side markers completely? Or would that make it illegal?

It would be illegal as the side markers are also the side reflectors (since the car doesn't have wrap-around lighting units or corner lights) - the round end contains the lights, the rectangle behind it is the reflector.

Damn this thread and DAMN money and DAMNED PAKISTAN's AUTOMOBILE MARKET.

:p

This is almost the only thread (on finalgear) where I get ideas from and they WORK! Then people say, the ideas from the INTERNETS worked! Haha

yes, Spectre, I have been stealing your ideas, shamelessly, very shamelessly that is. :p

Not that I mind - out of curiosity, what have you been using from here? Enquiring minds want to know. :D

Also - I do try to make sure my stuff works before I post it up. It is very embarrassing to proudly post something up only to discover it was a complete failure. :p

Not quite in the Jeremy Clarkson way, but yes.

Usually goes something like this (with your average Joe):

"What do you drive?"
"A Jag." or "That Jag sedan there." (if the car is visible.)

Invariably, the next question: "Does it have a V12?"
"No."
"Still, fantastic car, how do you like it?" (etc., etc.)

And it doesn't matter if it's my R-model or my Series III. Never fails to get looks or compliments.

Last edited:
Not quite in the Jeremy Clarkson way, but yes.

Usually goes something like this (with your average Joe):

"What do you drive?"
"A Jag." or "That Jag sedan there." (if the car is visible.)

Invariably, the next question: "Does it have a V12?"
"No."
"Still, fantastic car, how do you like it?" (etc., etc.)

And it doesn't matter if it's my R-model or my Series III. Never fails to get looks or compliments.

I gotta say I never understood Jag love personally but I always do a double take when I see one especially the older models like yours because they are quite rare here and knowing how hard it is to keep them on the road I also assume that the person knows their way around a toolbox :p

I am bumping this from the abyss because i have some questions about the megasquirt.

First up prehaps an update is in order...
How is it going at the moment and have you sorted out the problems yet?

Do you get any sync loss at all?

I am bumping this from the abyss because i have some questions about the megasquirt.

First up prehaps an update is in order...
How is it going at the moment and have you sorted out the problems yet?

Do you get any sync loss at all?

It is working out well, though an attempt to load the latest alpha of the MS Extra firmware turned out to be a mistake. When running the release version it runs and idles better than the original system while getting better fuel economy. The current issue is getting the active idle control to work better, something that the car didn't have to begin with.

What do you mean by sync loss?

Well i might be mixing up my terminology from another product but i am pretty sure megasquirt reports a sync-loss count which increases every time the ms loses its position from whatever crank/cam angle sensor it is getting it's signal from.

Long story short i have tuned 3 different megasquirt ecu's on 3 different cars although they were all running the same engine, nissan rb30e. 2 of the 3 were also turbocharged. All 3 experienced this sync-loss problem to varying degrees.

One of them was particularly bad and you had to totally back off the throttle for it to run properly. Also it would happen more at high rpm which i suspected was noise or interference with the signal from the crank angle sensor to the megasquirt. There are settings to filter the signal in the ms but changing these settings would always make things worse.

In the end the customer (who was the one who built and installed the ms) went home and made some modifications. First of all he used some better shielded wiring to run from the crank angle sensor to the ms. He also said he moved the ignition part of the circuitry from the ms into a seperate box. Theory behind that was that supposedly (wouldn't know myself, never built one) the ignition circuit was too close to the cpu part of the ms which he felt was picking up noise/interference.

After those mods it instantly worked much better but still had this occasional sync loss problem. In the end the customer changed to a different type of chopper disc in the crank angle sensor to see if it would give the ms a better reference. It did make it run slightly better but still occasionally would get this sync loss problem although now it was down to only about 1-2 times in about an hour of running. Mostly happens above 5000rpm in my experience.

Just curious if you have had any problems like this?
What type of sensor/chopper disc setup are you using for the crank/cam angle reference?

Other than that i found the ms relatively easy to tune and it pretty much does what it says on the box. Seems reasonably reliable and consistent. One of the engines is fairly highly tuned and gets thrashed at the track but it has not had any problems so far.

We have zero sync loss; I thought of this ahead of time. One of our primary goals was to make the system in the Jag as compartmentalized and modular as possible to cut down on cascade failures, interference and to make troubleshooting easier.

What we did was we used a separate Ford EDIS-6 ignition control module to run the ignition instead of relying on the ignition capabilities of the MS-II - for the same reasons we used an external GM MAP sensor instead of relying on the on-board MAP. If something went wrong with those two critical items, it would be a simple diagnosis and replacement (we blew up one of each during development). We decided on this approach despite the fact that it added significant cost to our build, a choice that paid off in spades when we later had multiple problems. We could have but didn't use the stock Lucas/GM HEI ignition system as a standalone; it wasn't very good by modern standards and parts are being discontinued - not exactly a problem for those with more common or Japanese vehicles. Our choices were to have the MS control ignition directly, buy a separate aftermarket ignition, or acquire and integrate the well-supported Ford EDIS system into MS (which is well documented).

The EDIS box reads the crankshaft position through a standard Ford crank position sensor mounted on the exhaust side of the XK engine block via the same bolts as the original timing pointer. The sensor is 'looking at' a DIY Autotune 36-1 wheel, edge on. That sensor is connected directly to the EDIS box mounted by the radiator cross support on the intake side. The wires are shielded by stainless steel braid scavenged from appliance water hose with appropriate soldered on ground straps on each end; thick heat shrink protects the braid from grease/grime as well as providing abrasion protection. The wires leading back to the MS-II (which is in the trunk, connected to the original ECU connector) to pass the PIP and SAW signals are also shielded in this manner as far back as the firewall. So are the wires leading from the EDIS to the Ford coil pack about half a meter away from the EDIS box.

We also fitted a voltage stabilizer (standard stereo shop gear) to the MS-II's power feeds; this eliminated some strangeness we'd found with fluctuating voltage due to the AC or electric cooling fans kicking on at idle.

Because of this setup, we have no sync loss at all (except for the first couple of revolutions at startup, but that's supposed to happen while the MS orients itself). No matter what you are doing, you must physically shield the wires coming from the crank position sensor at least as far back as the firewall, IMHO.

Last edited: