Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Ah, well...in that case, GO FOR IT! :lol:
I was basing my advice in the prices from the Canon USA website.:mrgreen:

I've found the 450D online on sale for $565.95. The 500D from the same store is $720.

With a tripod + tripod bag, bag for the camera, a book, and an 8 GB SD card the total comes to $677

The 450D comes with a kit lens as well (18-55 mm)

From a local camera shop here, the price they have for the 450D kit is $649.99 for an 18-55 mm lens but they also have a nice deal with an XSi body, 18-55mm EF-S IS, AND 55-250 mm EFS-IS for $669.98

Couple of things:

1. Don't cheap out on a tripod. First, you don't want the thing holding up your gear to be flimsy. Second, cheap tripods use crappy, annoying 3-way heads. Cheap tripods are better at being cumbersome and frustrating than they are at anything else. I'd say the best deal going in tripods is a Manfrotto 190XProB with a 486RC2 quick-release ball-head. I struggled, at first, to spend the $250 on three sticks and a hinge, but I'm now very glad I did. It's quite solid and nothing is more easy to use than a ball-head.

2. Buy a bunch of 1GB or 2GB SD cards. They're basically giving these things away now (they literally do sometimes) and it's better to carry a bunch of cards and swap when necessary. In case one gets corrupted, you only lose some shots, not all of them.

Last edited:
Couple of things:

1. Don't cheap out on a tripod. First, you don't want the thing holding up your gear to be flimsy. Second, cheap tripods use crappy, annoying 3-way heads. Cheap tripods are better at being cumbersome and frustrating than they are at anything else. I'd say the best deal going in tripods is a Manfrotto 190XProB with a 486RC2 quick-release ball-head. I struggled, at first, to spend the $250 on three sticks and a hinge, but I'm now very glad I did. It's quite solid and nothing is more easy to use than a ball-head.

2. Buy a bunch of 1GB or 2GB SD cards. They're basically giving these things away now (they literally do sometimes) and it's better to carry a bunch of cards and swap when necessary. In case one gets corrupted, you only lose some shots, not all of them.

Everybody I know told me that: make your first tripod a good one, unless you wanna get frustrated.

Sounds good, but I would also consider this:

B&H has the E-620 with 14-42mm kit for $567, add the 40-150mm to the kit and it's $639. Then add 8GB CF card, a tripod and a simple bag for both the camera and the tripod... I would look more closely on the E-620 for the reasons Nomix mentioned, as well as the fact it has a more useable Live view, as the screen is fully articulated. It's also nice to have a built in image stabilization.

That?s a good deal!

not pentax, but similar old skool.. hanimex 35SL (early 1970s)

Ah, well...in that case, GO FOR IT! :lol:
I was basing my advice in the prices from the Canon USA website.:mrgreen:

Yeah I always look for deals lol. The JVC headphones I have for example, would be $100 but they were selling em for $60 online. Couldn't pass that up.

Couple of things:

Thanks for the advice! I'm using B&H online just to see what it all comes out to, and it seems like with 3 2GB SD cards, and a Manfrotto tripod, it's just a slight bit over $660.

I still need to get the book, so that'll be like $680 but yeah. Not bad.

Sounds good, but I would also consider this:

B&H has the E-620 with 14-42mm kit for $567, add the 40-150mm to the kit and it's $639. Then add 8GB CF card, a tripod and a simple bag for both the camera and the tripod... I would look more closely on the E-620 for the reasons Nomix mentioned, as well as the fact it has a more useable Live view, as the screen is fully articulated. It's also nice to have a built in image stabilization.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if I want an olympus, but I'll play around with the models that they have at my nearby photography place here and see if it feels good or not.

You don't want a lolympus

*waves hand in front of face like a Jedi*

Sorry for the nub question but why does everyone say lolympus, what's so bad about olympuses?...... Olympi?

And I think if you really REALLY wanted to keep me away from them, you'd have to use the hypnotoad.

1. Don't cheap out on a tripod.
I'd say the best deal going in tripods is a Manfrotto 190XProB with a 486RC2 quick-release ball-head.

Am I the only person who finds 3-way heads nicer to use than a ball-head? I don't really know why, but I just prefer to have control over each axis individually one at a time. :dunno:

You don't want a lolympus

*waves hand in front of face like a Jedi*
Yes you do. And it's spelled Olympus, they've been making cameras for a lot longer than Canon, so show some respect.

(And they've got pretty much the whole market for medical optics, if you get a camera up your bum, chances are, it's an Olympus. And hospitals don't skimp on equipment.)

I have a Nikon FM.
Oly OM-1 and OM-2, OMZ28/2.0, OMZ50/1.8 and OMZ100/2.8. Film is just fun. :)

Lurkerpatrol- take others advice over mine but I was going to get a lolympus, very good for the price. Although canon and nikon are much better.
Much better? You'll be hard stretched to see much difference in studio tests (except at 3200 ISO, there the D5000 is a lot better), in real life the differnces are even less noticable, speaking of dynamic range, the E-620 (and E-30) are just as good or better, the E-620 has usable live view, built in IS, is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the other cameras and does feel more expensive. Heck, even the difference in viewfinders isn't that much. The E-620 also give you wireless flash control (the Canon don't, I believe the D5000 does?), it's got an articulated screen, the only feature it hasn't got is video, and video with dSLRs is a pain anyway.

They are just as good. The only thing that really matters is ergonomics. If the camera doesn't feel right in your hand, walk away, if it does, buy it. If you're happy with several cameras, get the one that gives you most bang for the buck.

Simple as that.

Sorry for the nub question but why does everyone say lolympus, what's so bad about olympuses?...... Olympi?

Because he is a nikon fanboy who is to busy jerking off to the nikon label to consider anything other then a nikon.

(And they've got pretty much the whole market for medical optics, if you get a camera up your bum, chances are, it's an Olympus. And hospitals don't skimp on equipment.)
Speaking of cameras up bums ... butthurt much? I was just kidding, buddy :p

It's just fun to say ;)

This is the fifth forum I've made hell-like for fanboys.*

:cheers:

* Not directed at anyone in particular, you're far from the worst fanboys in the world.

Yes you do. And it's spelled Olympus, they've been making cameras for a lot longer than Canon, so show some respect.

Oly OM-1 and OM-2, OMZ28/2.0, OMZ50/1.8 and OMZ100/2.8. Film is just fun. :)

Much better? You'll be hard stretched to see much difference in studio tests (except at 3200 ISO, there the D5000 is a lot better), in real life the differnces are even less noticable, speaking of dynamic range, the E-620 (and E-30) are just as good or better, the E-620 has usable live view, built in IS, is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the other cameras and does feel more expensive. Heck, even the difference in viewfinders isn't that much. The E-620 also give you wireless flash control (the Canon don't, I believe the D5000 does?), it's got an articulated screen, the only feature it hasn't got is video, and video with dSLRs is a pain anyway.

They are just as good. The only thing that really matters is ergonomics. If the camera doesn't feel right in your hand, walk away, if it does, buy it. If you're happy with several cameras, get the one that gives you most bang for the buck.

Simple as that.

Seriously: I considered an Olympus, but the friggin? importers simply DON?T SELL IT HERE! It would have to be a special order, and therefore more expensive than the Nikacon cameras. Maybe someday, when I move to Europe...:lol:

Speaking of Olympus, I wonder why wildlife photographers don't tend to use the brand. They have a 600mm f/2.8 lens for cheaper than Nikon can offer an f/4 (albeit with VR) and because of the sensor size in the four thirds system this would have an effective/real/film/whatevertheterminologyis focal length of 1200mm. On top of this you could of course add the 2* teleconverter which is good (according to resident olympus-ian nomix) giving you a whopping 2400mm f/5.6.

Obviously nomix must hurry up and find his way into Magnum, I'm sure the lovely people there would help him get all kitted up.