Windows 7, so who's tried it?

One annoying thing...I'm downloading a 300mb file through IE. I closed the browser window, so the only IE thing open was the download window. However, if I want to open another window, I can't from the taskbar button because any time I click the taskbar button, it just minimizes/restores the download window.

You can open a new window by middle mouse button clicking the IE icon on the taskbar, same can be done for Firefox.
Or you can right click the icon and select open new window.
I always right-clicked and then pressed Firefox, but this is just so much easier. +rep to you sir.

I knew about the right click, then select, but hadn't tried the middle click. Thanks.

I didn't know about the middle click, they've really thought of everything. This was annoying me with windows explorer.

Also some people might know this, you can use the middle clicker in Firefox on any link and it will open that link in a new tab, also works for IE.

Last edited:
^If you go into the properties you can set which icons are always shown in the tray and which are only shown as 'notifications'. Otherwise they will go into the hidden tray. I haven't seen an option to bring back the sliding tray though.

Thanks for the info. One more question, I need to disable IPv6 to run a specific program. I tried the Vista way (disabling the IPv6 in Network Connections, but my IP is still IPv6. Is there another way to do it? Please help, thanks.

Ultimate 64-bit is running sweetly on my Macbook Pro. Except for the time; For some reason, OSX/bootcamp seems to screw with the time setting in Windows.

The reason for this is simple enough -- Like all Unixish operating systems, OS X sets the computer's hardware clock to UTC time. Windows sets the computer's clock to the time in your current time zone. Why the difference? Windows has its roots on the home desktop; if you go into the BIOS settings screen, you expect to see the time where you live, right?

On the other hand, having the computer's clock set to UTC also makes sense because it's expected that the operating system will be making decisions about time zones, and it's harder to get that right if the hardware clock is already adjusted for time zone and time of year!

So this isn't a bug, it's just two valid, competing theories.

Well I finally finished installing after a several hour long process, things do seem to be running quite a lot smoother; speed difference isn't that noticeable though. Maybe this has to do with me doing an upgrade and not a complete wipe/reinstall.

Also some people might know this, you can use the middle clicker in Firefox on any link and it will open that link in a new tab, also works for IE.

Yeah that's a lifesaver, and of course you can use it to close tabs. I almost died when my middle click stopped working (wear on the microswitch inside the mouse). Strangely it's working again now.

You can open a new window by middle mouse button clicking the IE icon on the taskbar, same can be done for Firefox.
Or you can right click the icon and select open new window.

Very nice :)

+rep :)

Well, after apparently becoming the family Win7 guru (WTF?), I have been volunteered to install it on both of my grandmother's computers sometime soon. Honestly, she doesn't need win7, but whatever. One major problem though, an example of it being that she bought one home premium upgrade disc. And expected to be able to install it on two computers. Reply to it cannot be done spiel- "what are product keys?"

Wish me luck.

Well, after apparently becoming the family Win7 guru (WTF?), I have been volunteered to install it on both of my grandmother's computers sometime soon. Honestly, she doesn't need win7, but whatever. One major problem though, an example of it being that she bought one home premium upgrade disc. And expected to be able to install it on two computers. Reply to it cannot be done spiel- "what are product keys?"

Wish me luck.

Good Luck! I'm tempted to install it on my Stepmom's machine over Christmas break, or at the very least, re install XP on it.

You can Shift+click active programs in the taskbar to open a new instance.

Gah, why does everything seem to be running slower after windows 7? Everything hangs for a bit when I first, firefox boots slower, the time from login to actual run time is much, much worse than it was before (though that may be because of all the sony bloatware that was reinstalled for windows 7 when I deleted it earlier)

Everything seems faster in 7 than it did in XP for me, except for when I get rid of my screensaver. It almost always hangs on for a few seconds before going away.

It could be because my screensaver makes my PC shit bricks, since I use the pictures slideshow and I have over 2,000 pictures for it, but XP seemed to handle it just fine.

^ Pictures screensaver is about the worst thing you can do to your computer in my experience. I had it on Vista and after I stopped it my screen would artifact, movies would play choppily, etc. In the end my graphics card fried because there was that much constant strain on it (that and bad cooling combined). Have changed it to bubbles in Win7 (that and turning my screen off after 10 mins) and it is so much better. That and games and movies run normally too. Yay!

Bubbles is the best thing that's happened to screensavers I think. Maybe it can discourage people from running aquarium screensavers...