Random Thoughts (Top gear Edition)

But don't they also call gaffer tape (proper) "electrical tape"?

But don't they also call gaffer tape (proper) "electrical tape"?

Ooog, I hope not. Electrical tape is skinny, vinyl-like stuff you use to tape wires together. Or to hold cuts closed if you can't find the sticking plasters. :)

Which brings me to another point: as much as I adore the TG3, I do wish they'd stop calling duct tape gaff(er) tape. Duct tape is a whole 'nuther thing. You don't want to use duct tape on your stage, or on your set, or on your equipment; it's a reflective surface and leaves too much goo behind. Gaff(er) tape is what you're after, because it's a matte surface and leaves much less goo behind. I know they know that gaff(er) tape is gaff(er) tape; why do they not know that duct tape is not gaff(er) tape?

Psssst! Wanna buy some paint brushes to clean your air vents?

Psssst! Wanna buy some paint brushes to clean your air vents?

:lmao: No, thanks. I'm not as OCD as James May. Just a) overly alert for inappropriate duct tape usage and b) too aware of the many uses of e-tape.

Watching 04x04, the diesel R8 A8 challenge, right now. Jezza has now called Napalm Death "thrash metal" twice. Napalm Death was decidedly not thrash. They were death metal. Progenitors of grindcore, even. Bad Jezza TG researchers.

Top Gear Top Tip: If you want to call somebody out on using an incorrect label, make sure you don't make the same mistake yourself! :p

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson and the cars are currently on Prime's Border Patrol (NZ version) - anyone catch it?

I watched BBC America's butcher job of the Polar Special this evening, and having seen the special in its entirety thanks to some brave YouTubist last year, I was able to figure out most of the stuff that got edited out.

Speaking of, BBC America's announced the "Season Premiere" of new TG (assuming that's Series 13) will be January 25.

I also watched the special on BBC America. I found it funny that they edited out Richard's guide's discipline on the dogs... too violent for US TV I guess. (Unless I just missed it).

And I left BBC on to watch the Olympics Special too... and in the beginning, at the end of the Volvo vs. Audi race, I swear I heard music from the Where the Wild Things Are trailer! Did anyone else? And why?

I watched BBC America's butcher job of the Polar Special this evening, and having seen the special in its entirety thanks to some brave YouTubist last year, I was able to figure out most of the stuff that got edited out.

Yeah. (Yay for Final Gear!) Not to mention replaced music (buh-bye "I Get Around", "Ebla", and the stuff by UNKLE :cry: )

Speaking of, BBC America's announced the "Season Premiere" of new TG (assuming that's Series 13) will be January 25.

Yeah; it's Series 13. I recognized most of the clips.

I also watched the special on BBC America. I found it funny that they edited out Richard's guide's discipline on the dogs... too violent for US TV I guess. (Unless I just missed it).

Not to mention the TG3 grimacing at the frozen penis (for obvious reasons).

And I left BBC on to watch the Olympics Special too... and in the beginning, at the end of the Volvo vs. Audi race, I swear I heard music from the Where the Wild Things Are trailer! Did anyone else? And why?

Yep! I don't remember if that was in the episode proper or if it was replacement music. (90-something percent of original music used gets replaced.)

Last edited:

Nope, they left it in. I was watching for it and was very surprised they left it. Cheers to the editors for having the cojones!

I was terribly bummed, however, to find that they cut the whole scene in the tent with the gourmet food and the Chablis. Harrumph!

I was also annoyed that they replaced the Beach Boys' "I Get Around." Jezza set it up, and the Beach Boys are an American band well used to commercial whoring. So stupid. I felt the edit was clumsy, too.

Last edited:
Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson and the cars are currently on Prime's Border Patrol (NZ version) - anyone catch it?

Nope, I knew it was going to be on but live on the wrong side of the planet. If anyone knows where I can see a copy then I'll rep you, or something less easily construed as bribery!

:cool:

I never watch Top Gear on Dave because I get so irrationally angry at the people that edit it. How is it possible to remove the life out of a programme so effectively with just a few clicks of the delete button? (I know editing's more complicated but shhh!). Literally all the best bits get removed, all the bits that make the show what it is. I'm surprised that anyone outside the UK watches it if that is what they do to the International version.

Okay, rant over... for now!

Well, the people outside of the UK don't know any better.

Unfortunately for BBC-America, when they showed the last "new" season, the BBC-On Demand channel put up versions that weren't edited (or not as-edited as the broadcast version).

Plus, the clips on Top Gear's Youtube channel contain parts that are cut out of the American broadcast. After noticing that too, I knew. Before that, I had no reason to think what BBC-America was showing wasn't the whole thing.

If they just made the broadcast an hour and a half they could keep all the material and still have around 25-minutes of add-time to sell... why they don't, I have no idea.

If they just made the broadcast an hour and a half they could keep all the material and still have around 25-minutes of add-time to sell... why they don't, I have no idea.

Because then they wouldn't have room for endless Gordon Ramsey (Ramsay?) programs, of course.

^^ They could do without the numerous airings of How Fat is Your Antiques in Your House Attic? as well.

I miss the days when they had Benny Hill, Keeping Up Appearances and The Avengers on in the afternoon.

^ Not to mention Are You Being Served?, Monty Python, AbFab, among others... I think the last time BBCA had any comedy on the schedule was a few months or so ago, when they'd have all-late-morning-and-all-afternoon marathons of various shows in their possession. I seem to remember them digging a few Britcoms out. Watching Blackadder's Christmas Carol this afternoon made me wish BBCA wouldn't ignore all the fab comedy the UK has produced as they seem to have done in recent times.

I was terribly bummed, however, to find that they cut the whole scene in the tent with the gourmet food and the Chablis. Harrumph!

I know! One of my favourite parts!

I was also annoyed that they replaced the Beach Boys' "I Get Around." Jezza set it up, and the Beach Boys are an American band well used to commercial whoring. So stupid.

Ditto. And the UNKLE music! And "Ebla"!