Random Thoughts....

QI is having a good series so far. Jazz nazis!

LOL you do realize where I'm from there are 100 times worse "Reh-lij-us-zel-uts" than someone who believes in global climate warming cooling change right? They're called Southern Baptists and they're crazy.

Yeah, but they're not running around imposing taxes, spending taxpayer money, or telling me to kill and eat my feline friend in the name of their god, either. Nor are Southern Baptists accosting me in parking lots to harangue me on how my car is killing polar bears.

Besides, we never settled on the pronunciation of Spectre either, although I'm pretty sure on that one.

It's in the dictionary, actually. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spectre

The Random House Dictionary said:
spec?tre
??/?sp?kt?r/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [spek-ter] Show IPA
?noun Chiefly British.
specter.

spec?ter
??/?sp?kt?r/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [spek-ter] Show IPA
?noun
1. a visible incorporeal spirit, esp. one of a terrifying nature; ghost; phantom; apparition.
2. some object or source of terror or dread: the specter of disease or famine.
Also, especially British, spectre.

Origin:
1595?1605; < L spectrum; see spectrum

Synonyms:
1. shade. See ghost.
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, ? Random House, Inc. 2009.

Hey everyone, Random Thoughts Political Edition is thataway.

You know you're in Florida when you find a dried-up baby gecko old person's corpse on the floor of your hotel room.

FTFY. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Think of it the way I do, christmas is for getting gifts of things you couldn't justify buying yourself because you don't need it.
Ex: last year I bought mom an extra cozy bathrobe and slippers, she wouldn't buy them because she had one already (a not as good one). I think both cost me a total of 30$ and she wears them every day.

I don't know, I mean I did get a lot of useful stuff for the new Legacy and some other crap I needed, its not like I'm not getting anything out of it any more. I think its just the hassle of everything that I'm no longer interested in any more.

When you're a kid, your biggest concern is coming up with a Christmas list and maybe buying a present or two for your parents/siblings. Now its worrying how much money you'll have to spend on people, who you need to have dinner with, who you think will be offended if you don't give them x or go out and do y with them, worrying about the company Christmas party and who at work you need to buy a present for.

It just turns into a season of dealing with bullshit when you grow up. Sure its nice to see people, but I see the people I actually care about seeing on a daily basis.

Last edited:
But my beliefs in human caused climate change is not based on just authoritarian or fundamentalist beliefs.
For me it's about probabilities. And as far as I've been able to tell, there's not compelling enough evidence against it for me to change my stance.
So you could say I'm religious about game theory, or maths in general I guess... but that's not as poignant as you'd like I'm sure.

What is this, the Hotel Royale?

And for those who want an audio pronunciation guide to "Spectre":

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5hWOLjvPBA[/YOUTUBE]

Heh. That's not where my name came from, but yeah, that's how it's pronounced.

And dude, the entire state of Florida is the Hotel Royale. :D

But my beliefs in human caused climate change is not based on just authoritarian or fundamentalist beliefs.
For me it's about probabilities. And as far as I've been able to tell, there's not compelling enough evidence against it for me to change my stance.
So you could say I'm religious about game theory, or maths in general I guess... but that's not as poignant as you'd like I'm sure.

So despite the fact that the very promulgators of the faith of anthropogenic global warming have been discredited and proven liars by their own actions and emails, you choose to continue to believe the religion... mmmm... okay.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You're too kind. No really, you are. Those people aren't just crazy, they're bat-shit insane.
Well I've met a couple of secular (i.e. non-observant) ones that were alright so I like to leave a little room for individual judgment, just in case.
Yeah, but they're not running around imposing taxes, spending taxpayer money, or telling me to kill and eat my feline friend in the name of their god, either. Nor are Southern Baptists accosting me in parking lots to harangue me on how my car is killing polar bears.
Um, yes they are! They're even trying to tell me when I can and cannot buy booze and that it ought to cost extra because it's so immoral. I hear your entire STATE is dry on Sundays even! Blame these clowns. And they may not be accosting you about your car, but they'll sure as hell accost you about your "relationship with Jesus." :) Plenty of crazy to go around in that crowd.
That's what I assumed, seeing as how it's standard English and all. Someone else had asked.

Um, yes they are! They're even trying to tell me when I can and cannot buy booze and that it ought to cost extra because it's so immoral. I hear your entire STATE is dry on Sundays even! Blame these clowns. And they may not be accosting you about your car, but they'll sure as hell accost you about your "relationship with Jesus." :) Plenty of crazy to go around in that crowd.

Perhaps we have a different species of SouBaps, because I can still buy alcohol any day of the week. So, no, our state is not dry on Sundays.

Also, SouBaps around here are more the 'live and let live' type in general. The AGW zealots are getting more and more strident and pushy as their religion becomes more and more discredited, and I'm getting rather tired of it. Got accosted by one today, got told that my eeeeevil Pathfinder was killing the earth, and, like, y'know, that was bad for like the polar bears.

The funny part was that when I finally got him to go away, he went to his Prius... which couldn't get out of its parking spot due to the ice and snow.

I did not offer to tow him out and drove away instead.

Certain "non-denominational" churches are the crazies in Waco.

Baptists believe in leaving a lot of control up to individual congregations, so each church is usually a bit different from the others, even though they all call themselves Baptist. Luckily, most of the ones here are pretty laid-back.

I'm so bored that I'm watching the Bam Santa? special on TV. I'm hoping he gets attacked by a wayward Father Christmas.

Last edited:
Certain "non-denominational" churches are the crazies in Waco.

I'm so bored that I'm watching the Bam Santa? special on TV. I'm hoping he gets attacked by a wayward Father Christmas.

So, did your snow stick?

No. :cry:

Come up here, you can have some of the 4" of 'global warming' in my front yard. :p

This thread needs more "Cannibal! The Musical:"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fpML_K6g1U[/YOUTUBE]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK-loCEmzyw[/youtube]

Last edited:
Perhaps we have a different species of SouBaps, because I can still buy alcohol any day of the week. So, no, our state is not dry on Sundays.

Also, SouBaps around here are more the 'live and let live' type in general. The AGW zealots are getting more and more strident and pushy as their religion becomes more and more discredited, and I'm getting rather tired of it. Got accosted by one today, got told that my eeeeevil Pathfinder was killing the earth, and, like, y'know, that was bad for like the polar bears.

The funny part was that when I finally got him to go away, he went to his Prius... which couldn't get out of its parking spot due to the ice and snow.

I did not offer to tow him out and drove away instead.

You're lucky. I get them all the time. I realize the Jewish thing is a factor once people know me, but really? Bug off people! Granted it's so boring it's invisible, but I've never had anyone bug me about my car except some lady who insisted I should start putting biodiesel in it. Refused to listen when I said that would require a completely different engine, didn't seem to recognize ethanol as the correct alternative for a gas engine, etc etc etc. But when anyone is stupider than me when it comes to cars, I don't care what they have to say anyway.

And also on random thoughts, I once built a 6' tall snowman with a giant penis. I can't find the pictures though. :cry: It was AWESOME.

Last edited:
I am annoyed, we are out of tape so I had to stick gifts in giftbags. Two gift bags. It looks like I have gotten mother nothing booooo. <_<

Today started off with snow, then sleet and now rain. My car's going to be a PITA to clean off tomorrow for Christmas dinner.

The roads weren't bad enough to keep the family from making it to Christmas Eve Mass. It's one of only two times out of the year where you have to make it to church early so you can get a good pew (the other is Easter).

To jayhawk: TimTams in a nutshell.