Out Of These Oils, Which Is Best?

Out Of These Oils, Which Is Best?

• Total voters
Castrol Edge!

Mobil one is not a true synthetic, it is distilled from group 3 hydrocarbons where as true synthetic is distilled from group 4 hydrocarbons. Mobil one used to be full synthetic until they found out other companies were claiming to be full synthetic (using group 3 not 4) and tried to sue them and they lost so they moved from group 4 hydrocarbons to group 3 and hence have become not a true synthetic.
Not sure about oil in Canada, but same can be said for almost all "synthetic" oil available in US except for very few, though just because it's not full syn doesn't mean it's bad.
Castrol Edge!
Sounds like OP's Walmart doesn't carry Edge :(. Head TONS of good things about Edge and will be switching from Mobil1 EP on my next oil change, already stock up few years worth in my garage. :p

Not sure about oil in Canada, but same can be said for almost all "synthetic" oil available in US except for very few, though just because it's not full syn doesn't mean it's bad.

Castrol Syntec is a true synthetic, so are many other oils you just need to be careful.

Also if your car has been running regular oil don't change to synthetic as it can cause old caked up oil to become dislodged, and that can damage parts or in some cases old oil is actaully in the cylinder walls or piston and if it gets removed by synthetic oil you may have quite the mess on your hands.

Also if your car has been running regular oil don't change to synthetic as it can cause old caked up oil to become dislodged, and that can damage parts or in some cases old oil is actaully in the cylinder walls or piston and if it gets removed by synthetic oil you may have quite the mess on your hands.

I've heard that many times, and I still don't quite believe it's true. Yes, there are some people with broken engines because of the switch, but I would say that's less than 10% of all the people who have switched dino to synthetic.

This is the case, the issue is that you're usually over paying for it.

I've heard that many times, and I still don't quite believe it's true. Yes, there are some people with broken engines because of the switch, but I would say that's less than 10% of all the people who have switched dino to synthetic.

Didn't your engine start leaking after you switched?

It was leaking even before the change. It got a bit worse after the change, but I would rather have a leaky sludge free engine. The change itself did not cause the leak.

Ah ok.

Yea a little leak isn't too much of a concern. The environment needs a reminder of who is the boss anyway.

Also when asked the proper response is "my car isn't leaking oil, it's marking its territory". :p

Like my uncle says: "It leaks because there is still oil in the engine. You start to worry when the leaking stops :p"

The dealer changed my oil when I bought the car to "Honda motor oil," which I found out later is just rebranded Mobil synthetic-blend. After only 2k miles, I started to hear more valvetrain clatter and what I think is mostly injector noise in sub-freezing temperatures. I just switched over today to Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic 10w30 and the noise has almost disappeared, but it's still very early to make assertions.

Not saying you should buy Castrol, but I know Mobil1 will never see the inside of my engine again. <_<

Castrol Syntec is a true synthetic, so are many other oils you just need to be careful.

Really? My car is due for it's next change, and I was thinking of using synthetic.

I've always changed my oil when due, or a bit before, but I bought my car used.

It had about 150,000+ miles on it, and looked to be taken care of, but other than taking the cover off...how can I know if my engine has too much crud in it?

Dont want to kill it by taking care of it.

Pretty sure this is a myth. New synthetics are completely compatible with dino oils. If there's so much sludge in your engine that it's caked onto your cylinder walls, a synthetic oil is the least of your worries.

I wouldn't worry about it. At 150+ miles you will get a bit of sludge.

Really? My car is due for it's next change, and I was thinking of using synthetic.

I've always changed my oil when due, or a bit before, but I bought my car used.

It had about 150,000+ miles on it, and looked to be taken care of, but other than taking the cover off...how can I know if my engine has too much crud in it?

Dont want to kill it by taking care of it.

Looks like Castrol is the best so far, good thing that's the one I got! :D

I brought the Matrix in and last time they had a promotion specifically for Pennzoil synthetic so I went with that last time and it was a huge improvement over the dino oil that was in there previously, but I didn't notice any difference now that Castrol Syntec oil is lubricating the engine, maybe it takes a while to "settle in"? :dunno:

Anyway, glad I made the right choice! :D

I run mobile one in my nice truck, But i have run this\/ And i got about 3/mpg more per tank. The old corolla LOVED it.
BTW, Syntec castrol is FOR THE WIN.
elf-evolution-sxr-5w30-4l.jpg

Am I the only one who read SXR as SEX?

Actually the only "true" synthetic oil that is made by Castrol is German Castrol Syntec 0w-30. All other Castrol Syntec oils are not full synthetic oils. The only way to tell if it is German Castrol and not the fake American stuff is to look on the back to see where it is made. I've had trouble finding the German stuff in LA, but last night I ran to a local autozone in middle-of-no-where, TN and they had it. I almost bought the whole shelf, but then I realized I can't mail oil. :mad:

This site has lots of good info on oil, if you are interested... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718643

Last edited: