Upcoming RX7/9 thread

Wow. Mine has 250k original miles and never even had the head off. :lol:

While most of us are learned enough to know that 250k is more than 113k, implying that that means his wankle is any less reliable is stupid. Not only is 113k with no issues not exactly a small feat, but who's to say yours won't blow up tomorrow and his sails on past 300k? I can understand poking some fun at the misunderstandings of rotaries, bu you're beginning to get annoying.

Last edited:
Dear Mazda,

So help me if you try to make this thing eco-friendly...

thanks

Any Mazda exec or engineer who even proposes a hybrid RX-7/9 should be placed in a leaky rowboat in the middle of the Pacific. I think we can all agree on that?

Well there is a hydrogen rotary. Apparently they are more apt than piston engines when it comes to burning it.

Why don't they want to make a more powerful RX? It doesn't seem too hard to change the tooling to make a 1.6L rotary from the factory. Even at 2800lb, with only 250hp it's not going to be competitive against the Genesis V6 or the 370Z. If they are going the lightweight route, might as well shelf the RX name and just offer a rotary option for the Miata.

Why don't they want to make a more powerful RX? It doesn't seem too hard to change the tooling to make a 1.6L rotary from the factory.

The only way you can increase the capacity of a rotary engine is by adding extra rotors.

Last edited:
What about a supercharger? Is that possible?

This sounds awesome. I'd love it if they'd bring back a new RX7/9

What about a supercharger? Is that possible?

This sounds awesome. I'd love it if they'd bring back a new RX7/9

Mazda has never gone the supercharged route, but the camden blower is a popular option among the first gen crowd. roots blower + wankel = crazy sound.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMs7BabfY38&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

I'd be very interested if they did a turbo-compounding setup...but none have tried this in the auto world...

Super chargers will suffer the same problem as turbos.

As for keeping the same power, I think that rumor doesn't have much validity. Larger displacement and direct injection should provide more power. Considering the competition I don't see Mazda dialing it down to the current 13b levels.

Why don't they want to make a more powerful RX? It doesn't seem too hard to change the tooling to make a 1.6L rotary from the factory. Even at 2800lb, with only 250hp it's not going to be competitive against the Genesis V6 or the 370Z. If they are going the lightweight route, might as well shelf the RX name and just offer a rotary option for the Miata.

Nah, they don't need to shelf the RX-name. But a rotary option for the MX-5 would be awesome! After all, the RX-8 is great not only because it's a rotary, cool looking, and RWD, but also because it does this all and has 4 doors and 4 seats.

I feel like the time of the RX-7 is past, it was amazing, but needs to be left in automotive history as a bright spot. Returning to the two-seater with a new RX-7/9 would be a step back, especially since Mazda already has a 2-seater.

The RX-8 is the only thing on the market like it (that I know of)... I really hope it stays, or at the least, the RX-(9) will build on what it already is/has become.

Nah, they don't need to shelf the RX-name. But a rotary option for the MX-5 would be awesome! After all, the RX-8 is great not only because it's a rotary, cool looking, and RWD, but also because it does this all and has 4 doors and 4 seats.

I feel like the time of the RX-7 is past, it was amazing, but needs to be left in automotive history as a bright spot. Returning to the two-seater with a new RX-7/9 would be a step back, especially since Mazda already has a 2-seater.

The RX-8 is the only thing on the market like it (that I know of)... I really hope it stays, or at the least, the RX-(9) will build on what it already is/has become.

I agree.

Mazda should develope a new RX-9 with the 2andonehalf doors give it a powerful rotary, then. Have the MX-5 as the 2dr sports car, but also have an RX-5 miata based rotary sports car.

On a side note... they should bring back the rotary pickups too. just for fun.

Last two posts make sense, aside from the fact that I think the RX-8 is ugly as sin.

loltastic said:
Incorrect information.

loltastic what was incorrect in my post?

Last edited:
Nothing, it just had nothing to do with my (then) current train of thought.

To anyone that says boost and rotaries don't go together, explain to me how you figure an engine that belts out 1800-1900degree F EGTs and and huge amounts of exhaust energy is bad with boost.

The motors biggest problem with a turbo in the FC was the bad idea of using a fuel cut to stop overboosting. The FD had nasty heat soak issues due to a not so well thought out cooling system.

Super chargers will suffer the same problem as turbos.

Not really, they don't have the problems of an exhaust leak leading to an over boosting condition or perhaps the idiot owner thinking it's a good idea to cut the cat off and run a 3" exhaust to improve response and HP without making sure the motor is going to get the fuel it needs.

Mazda supposedly went non turbo on the RX-8 only because they didn't want to have to deal with reliability reputation of the rx7 thanks mostly due to the morons that don't mod them PROPERLY (well for the FC, the FD just flat out had some engineering problems fixed with the 99 model).

As for keeping the same power, I think that rumor doesn't have much validity. Larger displacement and direct injection should provide more power. Considering the competition I don't see Mazda dialing it down to the current 13b levels.

Mazda could very well be going for more torque. We'll see when it comes around. We gotta remember that the RX-8 ended up getting the power rating reduced because they couldn't pull the power #'s they claimed.

Mazda has never gone the supercharged route, but the camden blower is a popular option among the first gen crowd. roots blower + wankel = crazy sound

I'd be very interested if they did a turbo-compounding setup...but none have tried this in the auto world...

Mazda has tried supercharging on the Millenia S. They've even played with some weird ass pulse turbine that works by having some spinning cartridge and exhaust pulses to compress the intake air directly.

On the subject or reliability of rotaries: I've seen quite a few NON-turbo'd 13b and 12a's go for 400k+ miles with nothing more than standard maintenance. 1 of these even had a self admitted money shift that accidentally sent the motor to somewhere around 12k rpms for a brief moment.

Last edited:
Ah thanks for the explanation. The problem of weight still remains. Once you add the snail/blower and intercooler you get close to SBC territory. The SBC has 430hp from the factory and can easily achieve much higher numbers without FI.

Rotaries without the added crap however have a fantastic power to weight ratio. The 13B in my MG weighs about the same as the A series it came with, but produces ~175hp and with a MS (or carb) go up from there. Admittedly my car wouldn't pass emission standards.

I still think the 16X will produce more power. Mazda has made significant changes to the engine (new housing shape, DI, larger displacement). If they do chock it I have a feeling it won't be hard to get more umph from it.

Yea, turbos and rotaries don't go well together. There is a reason why Mazda stopped using turbos and never used them in their race cars.

You get a lot more reliable power by adding more rotors anyway.

don't think anyone would have a problem with a NA 4 rotor RX7 :D

http://img689.imageshack.**/img689/6198/image12086superimage.jpg http://img689.imageshack.**/img689/image12086superimage.jpg/1/w600.png

hmm...