What exotic driving locations should Top Gear film at?

If the TG crew want to save some cash, they could hop on to Croatia and Montenegro.
I admit I haven't been there for a decade or so, but there are some amazing roads and vistas to shoot.

I've dug up some videos on Youtube, so please, give it a spin and tell me what you think.

Canyon of river Mora?a in Montenegro:

Slow ride:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzxqOBRCh3c[/YOUTUBE]

300 km/h:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqUlCcKxFhg[/YOUTUBE]

And here's a bit of Croatia - Dalmatian coast Gumball 3000
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGlfWrscpKc[/YOUTUBE]

I wonder if they'd ever consider a whole series...with just one challenge.

Around the world in just one car.
A good idea.
The route should be something like:

London, Lisboa (Portugal), cross the ocean, New York, the States, Canada, Alaska, Russia, Japan, China, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France, London.

Could be sponsort by Google Maps.

---

People need to attach an idea, a challenge, or a certain motivation to their locations.

---

For example; in Australia they could drive those giant trucks, the ones that are as big as small trains.
May and Hammond in one team, and Clarkson accompanied by an Aussie celebrity in the other.
Of course that celebrity had to be completely useless when it come to driving these trucks. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair.

Or how about finding the ugliest, ridiculous styled cars.
Terrible Ricers, spinning wheels, the whole deal.
They all dress like "Ali G", and then drive through Monaco and the French Riviera, all those fancy places.

In another setting in the States, they could get sworn in (if that's possible) to assist Police officers in their duty.
Of course, they would drive the patrol cars.
Officer May, if that's not a laugh... :lol:
They would take their duty serious though.

It would be something like Steven Seagal's "Lawman" (great show, gotta see it).

How about Serra do Rio do Rastro (literally Mountain Range of the River of the Track) in Brazil?

serrava1.jpg

BXK15078_serra-do-rio-do-rastro-102800.jpg

Serra-Rio-Rastro-panorama-1.jpg

People need to attach an idea, a challenge, or a certain motivation to their locations.

For example; in Australia they could drive those giant trucks, the ones that are as big as small trains.
May and Hammond in one team, and Clarkson accompanied by an Aussie celebrity in the other.

no silly celeb gimmick needed for Aus thanks. Melbourne to Adelaide along the Great Ocean Road. scenic and an incredible drive. then from Adelaide to Darwin is straight up the centre of Aus and is a whole different story, especially if they did it in some old second handers. :twisted:

In another setting in the States, they could get sworn in (if that's possible) to assist Police officers in their duty.

you criticise the quality of the current series of TG and then come up with that for an idea ? really ? :blink:

how about they go some places they havent done road trips to already. "the States" has had a couple of good goes already.

Last edited:
London to New York over land. The only iffy bit is the Russia to Alaska link. I know, its been done before.

Last edited:
London to New York over land. The only iffy bit is the Russia to Alaska link. I know, its been done before.

That's sort of what I meant. That's close enough to "around the world".

I'd suggest some kind of amphibious vehicle thrown into the mix in the middle. Maybe from one small island to another?

Team each one of them with some kind of expert/survivalist to go with them, of course.

An Australian trip sounds awesome. x AUD to buy either a Holden or Ford and then they have to get from one side to the other in time for a special barbecue or Ashes cricket match or something like that.
Failing that, an Iceland one where they have to get around the country in the middle of winter.

If the TG crew want to save some cash, they could hop on to Croatia and Montenegro.

YES, +1 for Croatia!:)
A trip along the Dalmatian coast would be great, we have hundreds of islands full of really great roads and scenery. They could also visit some historic cities while they're there and then continue their journey through Herzegovina mountains. The only problem is, while the scenery is most beautiful in the summer, roads are then clogged up by many caravannists, which I believe would ruin their holiday.:D

Island of Hvar

Road to Trogir
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Be8oZGT_k[/YOUTUBE]

And then there's Biokovo road.

(sorry for a lot of photos, I got carried away a bit.)

Last edited:
I wonder, what about China in locally produced used cars? Or is that just my fascination with the bizarre ripoffs that the country produces talking?

I wonder, what about China in locally produced used cars?

Chinese cars are meant to be released in Aus next year. some have been delayed because when tested they didnt pass minimum Aus standards.

it would be interesting to see how some of these new suv's and utes handle(survive ?) the trip i mentioned earlier.

nah bugger that i would rather see some older Aus only cars. :cool:

I don't think Australia would be a particularly interesting place for a special. The scenery isn't really vaired enough and most of the roads would be pretty boring.

China would be interesting, if only for the choice of vehicle. And if they could ever do North Korea (which I know they can't), that would be fascinating.

I don't think Australia would be a particularly interesting place for a special. The scenery isn't really vaired enough and most of the roads would be pretty boring.

China would be interesting, if only for the choice of vehicle. And if they could ever do North Korea (which I know they can't), that would be fascinating.

have you ever been along the Great Ocean Road ? how about gone from Adelaide to Darwin through the heart ?

boring ? with the TG3 trying it in old cars ? hardly.

how about they go some places they havent done road trips to already. "the States" has had a couple of good goes already.

I know, you want your Aussie trip.

Worry no more.

I fearlessly predict "there will be an Australia special, in 2010".
There are not so many unique locations left, and Australia can be distinguished easily from other places. So...
The big trucks would be a good approach. Just driving along a coast line would be a bore. Top Gear is not a travel magazine.
Two teams cause, one of the guys in a giant truck would be lost.
And the Aussie that would accompany, probably Clarkson, would just tag along. Not steal the show.
Where ever the special starts, the destination had to be Sydney.
They can't finish it in the middle of nowhere, looking at sand. :lol:

The guys as cops in America would be a riot.
It would be about cars and about people, so many possibilities for entertaining situations.
Once again, Top Gear is not a travel show.

Having them end up or start in Sydney would lead them into nightmare traffic. I think it'd be too hard to film.

The idea of having them start out on the coast, or end on the coast and go through the desert is good. That way there will be a good contrast of scenery as a backdrop.

Maui is not just a tropical island with some of the world's best beaches in the world, ever.... But it's a stunning microcosm of the planet.

Kaanapali Beach and Wailea -- some of the best beach on the planet.
Barren volcanic moonscape on the southeast
Tropical forest on the northeast
Rolling meadows
Jaw-dropping mountain (dormant volcano) Haleakala

Some of the driving do's:
- Road to Hana (winding road along mountain cliffs on the waterfront)
- "other" road to Hana (bone-jarring unpaved road through volcanic rocks and tropical cliffs)
- Climb Haleakala (world's steepest elevation change in the world ever, 10,000 feet in 38 miles)
- Mountain roads from Lahaini to Kahului on Northwest side (almost as bad as the "road of death", no room for 2 cars in most spots, but it does have guard rails). Also some native Hawaiian villages along the way.

It really is a microcosm of the planet, every kind of environment you can think of; you can certainly get a lot for your production buck on that beautiful island.