skiing/snowboarding

skiing/snowboarding

• Total voters
Tried skiing once... and didn't go well...
I think I prefer snowboard because I do skateboarding but never tried

Skier only here, i have never tried snowboarding. When I?m at a resort to ski, then I want to get in as much ski-time as possible. :)
Probably would take some ski school lessons and try snowboarding, if I was at a resort for several weeks and had lots of time.

The plague of European ski slopes: Teenage, Male, British, novice snowboarders with a really bad attitude.
They are a dangerous menace. :mad:

The plague of European ski slopes: Teenage, Male, British, novice snowboarders with a really bad attitude.
They are a dangerous menace. :mad:

FTFY. While not all snowboarders are dicks, the activity does attract more than its fair share.

FTFY. While not all snowboarders are dicks, the activity does attract more than its fair share.

Yeah, I am the age of the typical dickhead snowboarder. In my neck of the woods, the two most common stereotypes are:

The rich, conceited douchebag skier
-and-
The young, rude douchebag snowboarder

I ski but generally do not have any problems with anyone else on the slopes. However, I was introduced to the dickhead snowboarder stereotype when I was twelve. I was skiing along and a few guys, roughly 18-20 years old, passed by. One of them slowed next to me, said "fuckin' skier" and shoved me into the woods at a rather high speed. Given that I was, you know, twelve years old, I would say that is a real dick move. :lol:

Going to the mountain tomorrow. Boo yeah!

:lol:

Well, I have only skied in France, Italy, Austria and Switzerland, so I wouldn?t know about USA & Canada or anywhere else.

Thought I?d made enough of a generalisation anyway, have to say that the locals in the various countries are better technically at snowboarding but still have some of the attitude.

The Brits are straight down the fall line at high speed with little or no ability to turn or stop above walking pace. :rolleyes:

PS Some skiers are dicks too I know, but this is a matter of percentages.:)

PS Some skiers are dicks too I know, but this is a matter of percentages.:)

Yeah, any group of people will always have its fair share of douchebags. Definitely a fact of life that everyone should know.

Just figured it was worth saying again that I cannot wait for tomorrow morning when I will enjoy a whole day of skiing. :mrgreen:

I have been snowboarding once and it was an unmitigated disaster. All the other times I've gone to the snow I went skiing, the last time before this year being about 10 years ago. I managed to pick it up reasonably quickly and after a few lessons can now do parallel turns. Hoping my family goes to the snow this winter so I can do it again!

I have been snowboarding once and it was an unmitigated disaster. All the other times I've gone to the snow I went skiing, the last time before this year being about 10 years ago. I managed to pick it up reasonably quickly and after a few lessons can now do parallel turns. Hoping my family goes to the snow this winter so I can do it again!

I tried snowboarding but it just isn't my thing. A friend of mine described it as "being duct-taped to a chair and pushed down a mountain". :lol:

The first time I skied I was eight years old. My mother took me to Devils Head Resort, and by the end of the day I was parallel turning, in other words I was and am a natural. I do not get to brag about athletic talents much, but I am blessed to have perfect balance, so skiing was natural for me. By the time I was 17, I had won many trophies, was setting the pace time for the NASTAR course at my local hill, a ski instructor and was invited to join USSA.

I should have.
I could have.
I would have.

I could have gone on to possibly being an Olympic participant. But I didn't.

I would love to do it now, but it is still expensive. My mother has skied all over Europe, and regularly goes out West 3-4 times a season. Right now I am very far away from anything remotly called a ski hill.

Just...wasted talent. :no:

Last edited:
I tired snowboarding for the first time in 1996 and really enjoyed it, although I learned it's probably not such a good idea to try and do it in jeans.

I then went again two years ago thinking I'd be starting from scratch, but it was like I never got off the damn thing. Going back again in a month or so, and I just wish there was somewhere around here that had decent powder.

The first time I skied I was eight years old. My mother took me to Devils Head Resort, and by the end of the day I was parallel turning, in other words I was and am a natural. I do not get to brag about athletic talents much, but I am blessed to have perfect balance, so skiing was natural for me. By the time I was 17, I had won many trophies, was setting the pace time for the NASTAR course at my local hill, a ski instructor and was invited to join USSA.

I should have.
I could have.
I would have.

I could have gone on to possibly being an Olympic participant. But I didn't.

I would love to do it now, but it is still expensive. My mother has skied all over Europe, and regularly goes out West 3-4 times a season. Right now I am very far away from anything remotly called a ski hill.

Just...wasted talent. :no:

Daytrip to Alpine Valley? FG.com meet up there?

I ski. I have skied since I was 3 and I raced throughout most of high school. I ended up making state championships three years in a row in both disciplines. I love the feeling of rolling from edge to edge and I have pretty much no interest in learning another sport after having skiied for most of my life, so I'm a skier for life, I guess.

Been skiing since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Tried snowboarding, but I am missing the gene. Spent more time on my face or butt that I was kicking myself for having a day pass. I should have just bought 5 chair lift rides. That would have done me for the day.

I think I'm the only Final Gear member who lives at a ski resort! :D

Anyway, snowboarding is for fools.

Reactions: Jay
And where are your snow pics young man?

I think I'm the only Final Gear member who lives at a ski resort! :D

Anyway, snowboarding is for fools.

:eek: I am so fucking jealous. I'm probably a bit old for it now but after one week in Val Thorens I would totally dig being a chalet girl for a season.

I've only ever tried skiing. My parents took me a lot when I was little and I would fall on my butt and want to make a snowman instead.

Also, I have a mild grudge against skiing because that (and having a kid) are the "reasons" Dad gives for why he traded in his Corvette for a stupid Blazer. ("Reasons" used loosely here because the kid wanted you to keep the Vette.)

Soooo...my answer is: "neither; snowman!"

After spending the majority of my youth on a skateboard, snowboarding came quite naturally. I still have my own gear, though I don't get out as often as I would like.