Transfer issues with my USB Flash Drive

Koenig

I have a OCZ Deisel Flash Drive (16GB) that has been working great until now. I had about 6GBs worth of files on it when I decided to move another file onto it (District 9 720p: 6.6GBs). It had more than enough space, but it kept giving me an error saying that I had no more room on the drive.

So I tried clearing the entire thumb drive and then moving the file again, but to no avail.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ko/koenig/2009/12/28/Deisel1.JPG

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ko/koenig/2009/12/28/Deisel2.JPG

I tried moving it to another external HD that has over 100GB free, but it kept giving me a "not enough space on drive" error.

Then I tried another file (Up 720p: 4.3GB) and that gave me the same errors as District 9.

Anyone know what on earth is going on?

I think you need to format the drive NTFS for that large of a file, both those files you tried exceed the single file size limit of FAT32, which is ~4GB.

I think you need to format the drive NTFS for that large of a file, both those files you tried exceed the single file size limit of FAT32, which is ~4GB.

Okay. I'm retarded. Can you explain how I would go about doing that?

Google for a software called

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool (it works for any usb drive, don't think about the name HP in it)

You can select quick format, and don't forget to use the NTFS file system!!! But be careful not to choose your external USB HDD as the device to be formated if you have one connected. If u confuse your HDD with the flash drive every data on it will be deleted ;) (Also the data on the flash drive will be deleted when u format it in NTFS)

After the flash drive is formated you can put very large files on it. But it could have a few drawbacks:

Linux/Apple OS (???) can not write on the device. And maybe some TVs/DVD/Bluray players who have a slot for USB Sticks won't support the NTFS file system either.
But it's the only way I know how you can have larger files than 4gb

Last edited:
You don't need any add-on programs, windows will do fine.

Only trouble is, windows may prohibit you from formatting it as NTFS while it is set as optimized for quick removal rather than performance. Change that in the drive properties, then formatting as NTFS will be available. You can re-set it to quick removal after that.

^ Good point, don't forget that.

Yup, you're hitting the 4GB file size limit of FAT32. Backup the files to your hard drive, format the thumb drive to NTFS and copy the files back.

Thanks a lot guys, it worked like a charm. +rep to everyone :)

Oh balls, "must spread some around before giving some to narf".

Last edited:
I ran into that problem as well but manged to get it into NTFS. Only thing is that now the DVD player does not read it :(

Same with the Xbox 360 strangely. I have a 16GB drive too and can't really use it for videos, which is what I bought it for. Oh well, my NAS drive is working again now.

Just an FYI, many distros of Linux can read and write NTFS out of the box. Many more can read, and you can always add that functionality if you need it.

Not sure about Mac OS.

OSX will read it.

There's r/w support in Snow Leopard (eventhough it needs a manual remount to activate it) and a port of Linux's NTFS driver to enable r/w in older OS X versions.

Oh, before i forget: Having the third-party NTFS driver installed when upgrading to Snow Leopard will break both the third-party driver and the built-in one.

You don't need any add-on programs, windows will do fine.

Only trouble is, windows may prohibit you from formatting it as NTFS while it is set as optimized for quick removal rather than performance. Change that in the drive properties, then formatting as NTFS will be available. You can re-set it to quick removal after that.

Where exactly do you mean? I didn't find anything that windows let me do that for my flash drive. For the normal HDD NTFS was an available option. On my flashdrive it didn't appear in the drop down menu. So I found that tool i posted. But since i formated the device in NTFS now windows let me reformat it in NTFS... but at the first time it wasn't available and I didn't find any button that forces windows to do it :blink:

Like I said, you cannot format removable devices as NTFS as long as their optimize-for-quick-removal setting is enabled in the drive properties.

Yes... I can read. But i don't find the setting you're talking about. Where is it.

Yes we all spereken si Germany... :p

The buttons are in the same location in every language. I have worked with windowses in several languages i don't speak, including some that have never heard of latin letters before. It's not that complicated if you know where the buttons are - what is what narf's screencap tells you.

Not to mention idk, who asked, being german ;)

I used the windows "convert" command to switch mine to NTFS, I have the exact same USB drive (OCZ Diesel 16GB) and it worked like a charm with no need to format.

Just open cmd and type in "convert D: /fs:ntfs" and change d: to whatever drive letter the flash drive has. As long as it has no open files and enough free space this will convert it to ntfs without deleting anything. I also used this for my USB HDD.