The greatest losers on the German car market in 2009

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
2009 was a strange year for car sales. Some brands made record sales, thanks to the German "cash for clunkers" program, others failed greatly. 3.9 million new cars were registered in Germany in the first 11 months of 2009.

Here are the 10 greatest failures of 2009:

image-45283-galleryV9-nwmc.jpg

Kia Opirus - only 12 were sold. The ugliness might have played a role.

image-45289-galleryV9-sout.jpg

Cadillac BLS - 28 sold of the camouflaged Vectra/Saab clone.

image-45286-galleryV9-kjmv.jpg

Cadillac CTS - it may be good but only 32 buyers could be convinced to put their money on the table for one.

image-45280-galleryV9-yvui.jpg

Subaru Tribeca - 37 sold. Probably give-aways for family members of Subaru dealers.

image-45285-galleryV9-hkdt.jpg

Ssangyong Actyon - I suppose this one deserves being bought by only 43 people.

image-45320-galleryV9-bppk.jpg

Same is for the Ssangyong Rexton: 46 daft people deserve this car.

image-45316-galleryV9-cwyn.jpg

And another Ssangyong, the Kyron. Talking about Chinese invasion. The 56 sold models surely don't look like a threat.

image-45298-galleryV9-mbic.jpg

Lexus LS. The Toyota flagship was only sold 57 times in Germany. Crisis, what crisis?

image-45279-galleryV9-ixre.jpg

Nissan Navara. Listen, Nissan, if Germans want a pickup truck, they want an American one. Thus only 60 sold.

image-45281-galleryV9-zrcd.jpg

Cadillac Escalade. 61 pimps and drug dealers bought one. Crime rate must be down a lot in Germany.

Source: http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/0,1518,669531,00.html

Last edited:
I'm baffeld by the Navara :blink:

Our car market = usualy similar to the German market

But here they run absoluutly rampant :blink: , must be a couple of thousand per year atleast.....Japanese pick-ups in general tend to do well.

The LS is interesting too. Is it priced too high over there? Here at least, they are one of the top, if not the top, selling large luxury vehicle.

edit: just remembered the minor factor of brand recognition

The LS is interesting too. Is it priced too high over there? Here at least, they are one of the top, if not the top, selling large luxury vehicle.

edit: just remembered the minor factor of brand recognition

I think if a German wants a luxury car there are a couple choices from their local brands.

I'm quite surprised by the Navara as well. They've actually sold twice as many here, January-November. It's not like many sane people buy one as a daily driver, but those pick-up trucks are quite popular amongst the utilities companies or owners of mountain hotels.

Oh, and I was even aware that they've facelifted the Opirus to look like that. Wait, I know why, looks like they've only sold 1 this year.

Why should you buy a Nissan pickup when you can buy a Toyota (that we all know will last longer than the third reich)? Makes no sense. Or a Mitsubishi L200 or an Isuzu D-Max. Won't last as long as the Toyo but load more and are cheaper than the Navarra.

[edit]
Of course this is what happened last time when Teknikens V?rld tested pickups :lol:
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/12/30/oops.JPG

In conclusion they hated all of them (but decided the L200 sucked the least) and wondered why the pickup-segment had gotten stuck in a big pit since 1990.

Last edited:
Oh, and I was even aware that they've facelifted the Opirus to look like that. Wait, I know why, looks like they've only sold 1 this year.

Haha that's a facelift? :lol:

Prince John: Such an unusual name, "Latrine." How did your family come by it?
Latrine: We changed it in the 9th century.
Prince John: You mean you changed it TO "Latrine"?
Latrine: Yeah. Used to be "Shithouse."
Prince John: It's a good change. That's a good change!

I actually saw a lot of those Kia E-Classes as Taxis lately and hated them the second I saw them.

image-45281-galleryV9-zrcd.jpg

Cadillac Escalade. 61 pimps and drug dealers bought one. Crime rate must be down a lot in Germany.

Admit it MacGuffin you where one of them. :p

I cba to be driven in cheap taxis.

Seriously, they all have to charge the same, and when I got the choice I go for Mercedes, BMW, Audi or VW.

Hell they even have Dacia Logan and Hyundai Taxis here, FUCK OFF!

i once took a prius taxi because i had to see how flimsy, awful and dreadful the interior in that "car" is.. Not that i like anything about it, but i just had to see it from the inside also.

Too bad about the Tribeca's, they are an awfully nice vehicle. But I suppose they are priced similar to what the Big German Three (Mercedes, Audi, BMW) price their midsize SUV's.

I do not include Opel, as they are owned by GM.

So in essence, Germans don't like really ugly Korean cars or luxury cars that aren't German.

I do have to be concerned about the 12 crazy people roaming German streets in their shiny new horrible Kias.

Nothing wrong with the Navara, plenty of those in SA.

If those numbers are registrations then I wouldn't be surprised if they were all demo cars registered by KIA/whatever.