Autoblog: Jay Leno recreates C'etait un Rendez-Vous on LA's "N?rburgring"

Long beach is full of all kinds of awesome car culture. You really need to get out more it sounds like. Last I heard there was usually 2 to 3 meets in the LB/south bay area every night, sometimes followed by some less than legal racing.

There are a lot more than 2 of us, perhaps because we grew up and live here we see/can find it easier (not that it's hard, go to any car forum and hit the "California" section."

Not imprest. I mean it could have been great if not for is comments and his face. It was just a ride through the city. The Nissan Z film was 1000 times better and the original C'etait un Rendez-Vous.

It had to be just the road, some car angles, just the sound of the engine and the surroundings and a touch of movie like atmosphere and 007 coolness.

Another one which I'v posted in the awesome thread:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADNb0F0YjNI[/YOUTUBE]

The Nissan ant this BMW takes the cake from me so far.

Perhaps I'm wrong - there are two of you.

When I say "LA" I mean it in a very general "The logical area called $city must include all the urban sprawl and some surrounding rural area for flavor" manner - bounded roughly by a box with the points:

Ventura, Palmdale, Victorville, Banning, Laguna Beach.

However, of the people and culture I'm most familiar with, draw a box from LAX to Lynwood to Long Beach Airport, and then straight south until you hit water. Everywhere else, upon further reflection, there's no way in hell I could've run into anyone doing anything interesting because other people still work weekdays, regardless of how much I'm on vacation. Of course all the interesting roads are going to be deserted at 1PM on a Monday.

I don't get your point. Most folks are out there driving Saturday and Sunday mornings. Perhaps you've never taken the time to go look for good roads?

Since I grew up in the Valley, most of my focus is to the north and west -- from Angeles Crest on one end, over to what I'll call the "Kanan Region" and then out west through Ventura county...think Highway 33 up the hill from Ojai.

thedster -- last time was very impromptu; I just happened to be in town. I hate living in the Bay Area, except for the whole job thing. And we have better racetracks :)

Steve

33 up to Ojai is fun, I did that one very early on a Sunday morning, no traffic at all and it was 38 miles of bliss :D

I don't get your point. Most folks are out there driving Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Therein lies the bitch of the thing. I end up out by myself with nothing but a car and a ribbon of asphalt pretty exclusively during business hours on weekdays - when the ladyfriend is at work. Evenings and weekends are burned on other things. So it's actually pretty believable that I'd come to the conclusion that "I'm the only person in this wasteland of civilization with any taste."

Last edited:
+1 for car culture. Even out where I am, under my little mountain, we've got pretty good car culture. It's mostly "gangstas", but even so, in a few towns near me you can't go 30 seconds without seeing something modified to various levels. I even once saw a race prepped Spec Miata parked by a baseball field at my park...

And Stevo, I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned how the San Fran SCCA region is one of the largest in the country (or is it THE largest?).

Last edited:
Therein lies the bitch of the thing. I end up out by myself with nothing but a car and a ribbon of asphalt pretty exclusively during business hours on weekdays - when the ladyfriend is at work. Evenings and weekends are burned on other things. So it's actually pretty believable that I'd come to the conclusion that "I'm the only person in this wasteland of civilization with any taste."

Sunday is by far the best day to see stuff. I've gone to the "Kanan Region" several times and hung out at the look out for a few ours with some very rich, very cool people with very good taste in cars.

In fact right about this same time 1 year ago

The owner of the Maserati was REALLY cool. When I asked him to give it some beans through the canyons as I'd never heard a Maser v8 in it's native habitat he obliged.

The Noble m400 owner works for the US company making the cars and was driving the ever living shit out of that thing (and when the Maser owner ask him to drive the Maserati, he made that car dance).

The 914 has a full cage and a race engine of some type, I can't recall what exactly, that damn thing was fast in the straights and in the bends. The ferrari and 911 were being driven vigorously but weren't exactly racing.

Keep in mind everyone of those guys probably makes in a month what I make in a year and were more than willing to hang out with me and BS cars for hours on end.

And Stevo, I'm surprised that you haven't mentioned how the San Fran SCCA region is one of the largest in the country (or is it THE largest?).

With 4,500 members, it's the largest region -- larger than several of the midwest divisions, actually.

CalClub (the LA Region) isn't small either.

Speaking of LA races I thought we were going to run at Fontana Jan 22-24 but that date's looking a little shaky right now because of (doggone it) work.

Steve

See, here's the biggest problem with Leno's little route.

A map for reference

See all those things along the road? Those are called "Houses" and "Businesses" and are typically quite unfriendly to people making proper use of the place they decided to build their stupidly overpriced house.

Unfortunately what makes a place great for us also makes it great for idiots driving Priuses. So they lay down bricks, ruin the scenery, and by nature of whining to the local government, force us out of the convenient spots to places far afield and make us undo all their silly environmentalism - and then they come off all ungrateful that we aren't doing burnouts in their driveway and try to ban cars.

Last edited:
do us all a favor and delete the maps to those roads... last thing we need is them published all over the place, we have enough traffic on them as it is.

Yeah, we have a section for this. a safe subforum where no one but the invited can see the greatness.

Whoops. Working on my epic journey thread for that other section, and it hadn't crossed my mind that I wasn't in there. Bigtime fail on my part.

Whoops. Working on my epic journey thread for that other section, and it hadn't crossed my mind that I wasn't in there. Bigtime fail on my part.

May you (and only you) be visited by the Curse Of The Winnebago upon your next trip up there for revealing that in a public forum! :p

May you (and only you) be visited by the Curse Of The Winnebago upon your next trip up there for revealing that in a public forum! :p

I'll take the Winnebago over the Highway Patrol every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Not when it's in front of you doing 5-10mph and you can't pass it safely... :D

The Bago means I need to go have a sit while the Griswalds clear the area. The highway patrol means I owe the government money.

The bago will drive you insane enough to get paid a visit by the CHP, so eather one is a bad choice.

I'm thinking of hooking up a train horn to both of my cars so people can hear me when I tell them to GTFOTFFW (Get The Fuck Out of The Fucking Way!)

I used to think that was a good idea and wanted to do it, untill a friend installed a big rig horn in his S-10. The air tank/compressor setup was so big that in anything with less cargo space than a pickup, it would take up all the space. So I wouldn't do it in a car unless you're willing to lose all your trunk space.

I used to think that was a good idea and wanted to do it, untill a friend installed a big rig horn in his S-10. The air tank/compressor setup was so big that in anything with less cargo space than a pickup, it would take up all the space. So I wouldn't do it in a car unless you're willing to lose all your trunk space.

Railroad horns are better anyway.

To be honest that was pretty boring. Maybe it would have been better if it was more Swedish. More like Ghost rider.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShacMAn_HK8[/YOUTUBE]

Ghost Rider > Getaway > others > Jay Leno