HAPPY NEW YEARS!

And to all across the world: a brighter year to come! :cheers:

It's officially the tens! No, that's not right... the oneies! Uh, what do we call this decade?

The old school twenty-ten sounds best for me.

OK so a Happy New Year to everyone on FG from me and my hangover.

Twenty-ten sounds better to me as it's two fewer syllables but I'm sure someone will disagree. But hey I could never work out why they used to say GSW on ER for someone who'd been shot when Gun Shot Wound also has two fewer syllables.

And with my pedantic hat on the Noughties may have come to an end but the decade doesn't end for another year. Before you reach for the keyboard to disgree, ask yourself when was the year zero......?

And with my pedantic hat on the Noughties may have come to an end but the decade doesn't end for another year. Before you reach for the keyboard to disgree, ask yourself when was the year zero......?

Here we go again.

Popcorn, anyone?

Well actually by our current conventions of classifying the Year 0 belongs in the 1st decade AD. Nothing wrong with that.

I saw the future.

Anyone annoyed by the pedantic smartass assholes that tell you that the next decade starts in 2011 because there was no year 0 or something like that. The same people that told you that this millenium started at 2001. Well f you.

There was a year 0 because the whole thing was invented by some monk way after it was supposed to be. Decades start when the numbers change. Only an idiot would argue that 90's lasted from 91-00, it's in the name already you fools!

Happy New Year & Decade to FG members from sunny London at midday. :cheers:

< -------------doesn?t care about your hangover induced pedantry.:p

There was a year 0 because the whole thing was invented by some monk way after it was supposed to be. Decades start when the numbers change. Only an idiot would argue that 90's lasted from 91-00, it's in the name already you fools!

Countdown to 1BC (before Christ)........Christ born.......1AD. No year zero, regardless of who invented it. I concur that the Noughties are over however and am taking my hangover for more coffee and a hot shower.

Did anyone yet confirm what this decade is supposed to be called?

Well actually by our current conventions of classifying the Year 0 belongs in the 1st decade AD. Nothing wrong with that.

One is the first year on the Gregorian calendar, therefore, the first decade finished at the end of 10, the first century at the end of 100, and the first millennium at the end of 1000. All of those started 1 January 1, hence we are currently in the 3rd millennium, 21st century, and 201st decade (with just under a year left in the decade).

Last edited:
Countdown to 1BC (before Christ)........Christ born.......1AD. No year zero, regardless of who invented it. I concur that the Noughties are over however and am taking my hangover for more coffee and a hot shower.

Did anyone yet confirm what this decade is supposed to be called?
Oh, good point. But still firmly think that is no argument for the next decade starting at 2011 because it's twenty-ten, it starts 2010, it's in the name!

Time is always confusing at least for me. But it seems that the only reason we don't have year zero is that the first historian who used term BC, didn't know about 0.

Here is a long wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_zero

Logic and the pedantics of the world are against me, but I still stand on my backwards and idiot thinking that the third millenium started on the 1st of January 2000. Even if it's one year short from the birth year of some travelling zombie magician, it's all about the numbers for me.

Last edited:
If we really wanted to get pedantic, one could argue that the months would not be aligned with the changing of the years (just like they are not aligned with the seasons, solstices, and equinoxes) but the years should actually change with the night of December 25.

How about we just call 2010 "Ralph".

It's 3 pm over here and I haven't had breakfast yet. It's save to say the whole earth is now set in 2010, so:

Happy new year to everyone! :) :cheers:

^ :lol: 2011 "Susan"

Those bastards at the Kenmore Square Uno's definitely watered down my amaretto sour. :shakefist:

Everybody say STARDATE: TWENTY-TEN, it sounds way cooler. I'm from the future!

:cheers:

Reactions: MWF
Those bastards at the Kenmore Square Uno's definitely watered down my amaretto sour. :shakefist:

Everybody say STARDATE: TWENTY-TEN, it sounds way cooler. I'm from the future!

:cheers:

And don't........forget to include......Captain Kirk style......pauses.

And don't........forget to include......Captain Kirk style......pauses.

This is for you, then:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X69aDIFFsc[/youtube]

Don't say I don't love you. :wub:

Happy New Year! :cheers:

Okay, here's the thing about the decades: they don't follow the same rules as centuries and millennia. 2000 was not the first year of the current century or millennium, but it was the first year of the decade. You wouldn't say 2000 was part of the '90s, would you? Or that 1990 was part of the '80s?

This might make it easier: Matt, you are 40. Does that mean you're in your 30s?

Thus, we're in a new decade.