James Cameron's - Avatar 2D vs. 3D

James Cameron's - Avatar 2D vs. 3D

• Total voters
I don't know about the other categories but if it doesn't win the Oscar for Visual effects I don't know what else could this year.

I'd say Fantastic Mr. Fox should be up for visual effects (or maybe art direction). The visual effects in Avatar are the very familiar ones you've seen in video games, they just happen to have half a billion dollars behind them.

The visual effects in Avatar are the very familiar ones you've seen in video games

Thats like saying a toyota corolla is like an f1 car because they both have 4 wheels.

Without a doubt avatar has the most detailed and fluid/organic 3d rendering i have ever seen. The subtle detail that has been put in is almost beyond comprehension.

There are scenes where literally everything is alive and moving. Many times i had to remind myself that it was not a real place but made by people on computers. There is no computer scripting that could automate a lot of the details. Nothing is repeated.

The creativity that has gone into making a planet full of unique organic life is amazing. It is the work of some great artists.

It may not be 100% photorealistic but it's damn close and i dream of the day any video games can look as good.

Thats like saying a toyota corolla is like an f1 car because they both have 4 wheels.

Without a doubt avatar has the most detailed and fluid/organic 3d rendering i have ever seen. The subtle detail that has been put in is almost beyond comprehension.

There are scenes where literally everything is alive and moving. Many times i had to remind myself that it was not a real place but made by people on computers. There is no computer scripting that could automate a lot of the details. Nothing is repeated.

The creativity that has gone into making a planet full of unique organic life is amazing. It is the work of some great artists.

It may not be 100% photorealistic but it's damn close and i dream of the day any video games can look as good.

No it's not. A pre-rendered video game cut scene can also have detailed environments and realistic looking creatures, it's just that most don't have $500 million to play around with.

I don't want to get into an argument over what is possibly a matter of opinion but perhaps you can give me an example of a video game that has the same level of detail as the Avatar movie?

I play a lot of video games and i can't recall being blown away by the visuals, even in pre-rendered cut scenes, like i was with avatar. The unique animals and plantlife are something i have never come across previously. There is some great artistry involved in thinking up some of those things.

I believe that the time involved in creating that much original detail determines that a large amount of money was necessary, not the other way around. It seems rather dismissive of the obvious talent involved to suggest the 3d visual feast is merely a product of large amounts of money and no better than a video game.

come back from seeing a 4th time, 3rd time in 3D. Still blows me away, start to feel long at one point but then picks right back up. could see myself seeing it a 5th time (most ive ever seen a film at cinema was Return of the King 5 times), i think its the visuals and the world of Pandora that keeps dragging me back.

Holy fucking shit. Four times? I mean, it was decent and all, but I'd don't think I'd ever go out of my way to see it again. The effects were kinda cool, but they couldn't carry the movie. The plot fell over when I realised all the humans had to do was simply level the place with ICBMs. If the Unobtanium (oh come on) was so valuable to us, why did they put the operation in charge of the most bone headed, and stupid General ever?

The preachy overtones kinda annoyed me as well. How the Na'Vi were portrayed as the perfect race while Humans were the destructive invaders hell bent on wrecking the ecosystem and killing the inhabitants of Pandora. It was so dummied down to the point a five year old could understand it. Them, good. Us, bad. The effects might've been 3D, but the characters were strictly one dimensional. I've seen more personality in a plank of wood.

Unobtanium (oh come on)

Yeah i couldn't help but laugh out loud at that.

The effects might've been 3D, but the characters were strictly one dimensional. I've seen more personality in a plank of wood.

I thought the main characters were ridiculously cliched with Keanu Reeves levels of acting ability. Obviously none of the budget was spent on plot/storyline, you know what is going to happen next from start to finish.

Having said that i did find the visuals to be very immersive, and for me it was something akin to spending a few hours on another planet. Admittedly sometimes i was paying more attention to what was going on in the background rather than what the main characters were saying or doing. But for me it was a great escape from reality although i don't know if i would go so far as to watch it again.

I'm going to go see it in IMAX 3D on tuesday. I'm not looking for story depth, just some eye candy, which it appears to deliver based on these posts.

But for me it was a great escape from reality

To me, that was the real theme of the movie: escapism. The main character shrugs off his unwanted body and life, inserting himself into new, better ones, and the viewer does the same through him (which is why 3D makes the movie that much better).

The plot is really just an excuse to show you all the pretty environments, and there's nothing wrong with that. Mario 64 was a great game, and look at the plot it had.

It is his fault for been uncreative and unoriginal. It's a well known and clever although somewhat nerdy joking term commonly used in engineering. He used a joke name but in a serious manner, it's ridiculous to anyone who does know the real origins and use of the term. He should have fabricated a name for his imaginary element.

However i guess its fitting in a way because the whole plot was a big joke. :D

It is his fault for been uncreative and unoriginal. It's a well known and clever although somewhat nerdy joking term commonly used in engineering. He used a joke name but in a serious manner, it's ridiculous to anyone who does know the real origins and use of the term. He should have fabricated a name for his imaginary element.

I thought it was ironic, actually.

through the latest estimates Avatar broke the $1Billion worldwide mark this weekend, that now puts in 4th place behind Titanic, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest for all-time worldwide gross. not bad for a film thats only been out 17 days.

I didnt like 3D. It made my eyes hurt and generally it was fussy and not sharp. Annoying. Also it cost a billion kronor more (150 SEK) which didnt make me happy either. And the film was way too long. Cut it by 45 minutes, bish bash bosh, big smile on your face, the end. I rate it 6.5 rule 34's out of 10.

Last edited:
3D, Avatar needs to be seen in 3D. It was made to be seen in 3D. You don't get to choose whether to see a film at the cinema in colour or black and white, widescreen or Academy ratio - respect the intentions of the filmmakers and see it how it's damn well meant to be seen.

I'm currently writing a dissertation about 3D cinema technique. I could go on for pages here but I'm tired, in my underwear and in need of a shower, and it would be boring to all but about five geeks here. Plus I haven't done any meaningful work on it yet.

Last edited:
I saw it in Real D or whatever it's called. The 3D I found to be good and bad. It was definitely immersive, but I always found too much of the screen to be in-focus. This made my eyes wander all over the screen looking for the main focal point, and became somewhat tiresome and annoying.

I had that problem too. While it was great when you were looking at whatever the director wanted you to look at, it wasn't really brilliant if your eye wandered elsewhere. And my eyes started hurting sometimes, so I had to take the glasses off for a few minutes once in a while.

That was mostly a problem for the firs hour or so, though. After that I got used to it, and could start enjoying the movie, which, despite maybe not having the best plot imaginable, was very good. I don't care about cliches, I don't care about whether or not it's original. The bottomline is, was I entertained or not? And I sure as hell was.

That being said, there were some toe-cringing aspects.. I'm not a fan of the whole enviromentalist vibe, and often there were some rather annoying political undertones.
And that scene where.. I don't even remember their names, but human and king sized alien getting romantic = laughable and awkward. Alien on alien and/or human on human is fine though.. :D

Wow. Just Wow

Wow. Just Wow

Wow, Bartboy does sounds a little more like Comic Store guy.

Though not the deepest plot in the world, as many others have said, the movie is totally engrossing. I actually came out of the movie on a high and then started to get sad becuase I was leaving pandora. I have seen the movie twice now, both times in Real3D, and both times (once again, as mentioned before) i only noticed the 3D for the first 15 minutes.

Just to give you an idea how much I enjoyed this movie, when i got home i immediately googled for the following in anticipation of the release of the movie (hopefully with a blueray release that includes both the 2d and 3d format):

http://www.google.com/search?source...&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS270US270&q=HD+projector+1080

Remember, not everything had to be complicated to be impactful. This movie was a very effective story telling exercise and is something my kids will talk about for quite some time. They were COMPLETELY jazzed coming out of the 3d show. None had to go use the restroom they were so mezmerized.

And the world of Pandora was absolutely Magical. An amazing creation and worth the wait.

I just saw it today in IMAX 3D. I have to say that I was blown away by the visuals. They was no "that is great CGI" moment, it was simply spectacular. Yes, the story was predictable, yes there were humans are evil undertones, and I don't care.

9.7/10

I just saw it today in IMAX 3D. I have to say that I was blown away by the visuals. They was no "that is great CGI" moment, it was simply spectacular. Yes, the story was predictable, yes there were humans are evil undertones, and I don't care.

9.7/10

QFT