Random Thoughts....

Yes on the ground, no on the zerostat. I think my couch was charging me up. The channel dropping issue is because at some point my receiver was in a fire, and the RCA jacks are really quite dirty. I've cleaned them some, but they still need the inner part cleaned, which I haven't quite figured out how to do.

Yes.

You should look into getting a Zerostat gun, if you can find one cheaply. I got mine at a flea market in town here for $3 :lol:

I'd recommend an Emerson SmartSet. I got that one for Christmas (after asking for it) 2 or 3 years ago and it still works wonderfully. They have different models as well. As a bonus, it sets the time and date itself- so if the power goes out you never have to worry about resetting it, the backup battery keeps your alarm settings in memory if the power fails. It also has a touch pad on top for a lamp with 4 dimming settings that plugs into the back of the clock, very convenient next to a bed.

It also has some fancy motion sensor on it you can use to activate sleep mode- but it's sensitive to the point if you roll over when the alarm goes off it thinks you want the sleep mode. A little piece of electrical tape over the sensor fixed that though, so not really an issue.

The only problem I have with it is the dimmer of the display brightness settings is still too bright for me in the middle of the night, so I just put a piece of paper over it.

sniff sniff sniff :cry: :cry: :cry:
Would you believe an Emerson SmartSet (not that model though, a cheaper one) is the one that just failed? I broke out the instructions and screwdriver and took the battery out and reset the thing. We'll see how much longer it works. I did like it before now though. I like how an alarm will sound even when the power is out. It's not super loud, but it is an alarm.

sniff sniff sniff :cry: :cry: :cry:
Would you believe an Emerson SmartSet (not that model though, a cheaper one) is the one that just failed? I broke out the instructions and screwdriver and took the battery out and reset the thing. We'll see how much longer it works. I did like it before now though. I like how an alarm will sound even when the power is out. It's not super loud, but it is an alarm.

Hmmm. Spend more money and get a better one then :dunno:

Well, right now I don't have the cash for a nice one, but at this rate I am completely unconvinced that spending more money will result in a better product in anyway. I had a different clock that started spontaneously changing time! Very annoying (but fun to take apart). If they can't make a simple one keep time, do I want a fancy one with MORE features to break?

klitschko-1-14470743__MBQF,templateId=renderScaled,property=Bild,height=349.jpg

So Hayden Panettiere is dating Vitali Klitschko.........this is just weird.

Well, right now I don't have the cash for a nice one, but at this rate I am completely unconvinced that spending more money will result in a better product in anyway. I had a different clock that started spontaneously changing time! Very annoying (but fun to take apart). If they can't make a simple one keep time, do I want a fancy one with MORE features to break?

Perhaps your environment isn't good to alarms then? Maybe some high electrostatic fields or frequent brownouts? Try putting the clock on a surge protector or something. Hard to say anything for sure, of course, but if you've had this much trouble perhaps it's not the products but the place you put them.

It's possible, but I've moved twice (both to different states) since all this started. Nothing else in the house is failing unusually. I should see if I can fix the slider on my Dream Machine.

I swear I'm not hard on them! I don't throw them around the room or anything, promise.

Last edited:
This type of alarm clock can be confused by anomalies in the power net. If you run any device in your house which sends crap back into the power net (can be anything from a computer to a machine with a motor), the alarm clock might suffer from running too slow or to fast. The reason is that many models get their "timing" from the sine wave of the power that comes from the plug. If the sine wave is deformed by other devices in the house, the alarm clock can not reconstruct a proper clock signal and may do odd things.

I use my cell phone to set alarms. I always leave it on vibrate; the noisier an alarm clock is, the more I want to kill the nearest human being when I wake up.

^same, use cellphone for alarms, though tbh i do want a clocky :D

This type of alarm clock can be confused by anomalies in the power net. If you run any device in your house which sends crap back into the power net (can be anything from a computer to a machine with a motor), the alarm clock might suffer from running too slow or to fast. The reason is that many models get their "timing" from the sine wave of the power that comes from the plug. If the sine wave is deformed by other devices in the house, the alarm clock can not reconstruct a proper clock signal and may do odd things.

This clock has a digital chip that comes preset. I didn't think sine timed clocks were very common anymore? The only one I've ever seen was one my friend's grandfather brought back from Europe. It apparently took him a few years to figure out why it wasn't keeping time properly.

I'm so flaky that I worry about relying on my phone 100%. I always manage to put it down somewhere and sometimes even get out of the house without it. I'm getting better, but I can't trust myself with something that isn't tied to a wall. I'm really, really, really flaky.

Last edited:
All varieties of alarm suck ass! It means no more sleep and time to go to work. :(

This clock has a digital chip that comes preset. I didn't think sine timed clocks were very common anymore?
So did I, but it seems it is still cheaper to make them this way.

How do people get the forecast so wrong, weather underground says 80% chance of snow 1-2 inches by tomorrow. Then I check my facebook and everyone is freaking out saying there will be anywhere from a foot to 20 inches this evening, 20 inches of snow in 12 hours is pretty damn impressive for Indiana.

My mother just broke one of her china bowls. And I can't find anywhere online that sells replacements for the pattern <_<

flydiscovery, I use one of these:
41FMV9N1VHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

But they don't seem to make it any more. Still, it's stuck with me since 2006, through three moves and falling off of my bed at least once, so maybe try a Philips? As an added bonus, whatever Philips makes now probably won't have nearly as much glare due to the super cool futuristic design being dropped.

I use my cell phone to set alarms. I always leave it on vibrate; the noisier an alarm clock is, the more I want to kill the nearest human being when I wake up.

The problem now with the alarm on my phone (it's some weird Sex and the Cityesque sounding tune), is that I am conditioned to jump or at least flinch when ever I hear a sound remotely similar to it during the day. TV ad jingle, song on the radio, etc.

It's really annoying after a while :(

While we're on the subject of alarm clocks, why does nobody do the display in red anymore? I find blue or green way too bright and obnoxious for when I'm sleeping, but red nice, easy on the eyes, and easy to sleep near. It's really annoying how hard it is to find a decent red display on an alarm clock these days.

I wish the display on mine was green. It's red and blinding at night.