Sherlock Holmes (the new movie)

The movie was aces in my books :D I really enjoyed it.

Just got back from seeing it as well. Jude Law is fantastic as the snarky straight man to Robert Downy Jr.'s excellently-portrayed Holmes; he's an asshole, a horrible human being, and brilliant as well.

Some parts I didn't like: the ending was way too much of a forced deus ex machina for me, the villain didn't feel terribly evil or all-encompassing, and in some places it insisted upon itself (having Holmes explain the clues through past scenes instead of giving the audience half a brain to play along, for example). Ok, we get it, the raven symbolizes death. And the rat symbolizes obviousness.

And good for Guy Ritchie for toning down the forced stylishness and Cockney obsession in his previous movies. It almost felt like it was directed by a normal person. ;)

And good for Guy Ritchie for toning down the forced stylishness and Cockney obsession in his previous movies. It almost felt like it was directed by a normal person. ;)
Snatch-Mickey-Speaks-Pikey.jpg

Thought it was really good.

Finally got around to seeing it. I quite enjoyed it, and looking forward to the sequel.

In my opinion, Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law were nothing short of epic.

Great film, very fun, I enjoyed seeing it. Holmes portrayal in the film is not too far off from the original source material in Doyle's books, esp his eccentricities and hinted mental disorder. Almost like a Victorian era version of the detective Monk.

Literally just finished watching this film and loved every minute of it. Even down to the little things like the music score. Like others have mentioned, Downey Jr's british accent made it difficult to follow what he was saying at times but he still made the character incredibly believable.
I'm not a big fan of Guy Ritchie films but if he does a sequel (and with the ending there has to be a sequel) with Downey Jr and Law coming back on board i'd have no problem with parting with some of my money for a cinema ticket.
As someone else said, i didn't think a Sherlock Holmes action film would work given the context of the books either but after the first 5 minutes of the film i was completely sold.

Saw it today and i was surprised at how good it was! I do agree with Blaro about some part being forced and the ending wasn't the best, i sort of lost interest there because the villain didn't seem that bad really. Maybe that was on purpose because he wasn't the "main baddy"...

Saw it today and i was surprised at how good it was! I do agree with Blaro about some part being forced and the ending wasn't the best, i sort of lost interest there because the villain didn't seem that bad really. Maybe that was on purpose because he wasn't the "main baddy"...

Indeed, if one plans a sequel, the baddie in the 2nd film should be a little more important/menacing than the one in the 1st film.

As far as villians go, Moriarty is way the fuck up there in "baddieness"

Just watched it, it's pretty entertaining, and it does feel a bit like an Victorian era version of Monk.