[14x07] January 3rd, 2010

[14x07] January 3rd, 2010

• Total voters
Lexus sound is higher. Carrera has lower done.
CF body makes this car expencive.
Look how much cost Zonda and Veyron. And they are slower than GT-R.

This is a first. SIARPC was the best part of the show...what an interesting guy! Rather listen to him than jenson button...that's for sure..

From other episodes of season 14, it's worth a 8. Now I rated it a 3 because compared to seasons past, it is still poor. For season 15, the only way is up.

- Lexus: Yet again a supercar, yet again on the track. And Hammond came out with one of the most ludicrous remarks, something like: it's good, it's very good......... but it's a Lexus. Does he rate a car on its badge? Basically, 340,000 for a Lexus is admitedly pushing it, but by the way he said it, 340K for the exact same car but with "Bugatti" or "Ferrari" on the bonnet, that'd be acceptable?
On the plus side, the editing, Japanese cartoon-like, was brilliant!

X6: Another expensive car. A car I'd never stop to watch say in a car park, so from there it was harder to get interested in the review. The location around the world stuff was funny though.

News: Good when it was about the cars, and the jokes about being in 2010-2009, but I'm sure there was wayyyyyy more to say about cars than fooling around on electric skate!
And seriously, who would have never guessed Hammond would'nt know how to brake (like he never tried the skate before the show.... :rolleyes:) and May "struggling" to fix a foldable bike. Yawn.
A bike, a skate, an electic thingy. What next on TG, Richard and Judy's book club?
(Must admit I did make jokes like "Aaaaaaaargh can't stop it" or "crashing" onto a bush on my moped. But I was 15 and that was to make girls laugh.)
Cringing stuff yet again from not-so-funny Hammond in particular.

SIARPC: Seasick Steve, isn't he just a nice bloke you'd like to share a pint at the pub with? I know I would.
Best segment of this episode (not hard IMO)

VXR: Good God, what a boring car for a boring review. Oh, and a veeeeeeery boring "guest star". Wow, she designed road signs....

Awards: Absolute rubbish if we compare it to last year's, hardly any footage (that is usually the funny stuff in theses awards)

So basically, I'm glad this serie's gone. Apart from one or two things, won't be watching it again for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
7/10 (at best!) :|

The reason; Hammond's test of the Lexus stands for everything I hate about the programme these days!
It was impossible to get any feeling for the car itself.
Effects galore, and the engine sound was constantly drowned out by stupid distorted guitar chords.

If they wouldn't have spent all the money on specials, or weekly remotely-car-goofing-around-bits, they could have send Hammond to Japan.
To test the car on the Wangan Express Way, around Tokyo, the natural habitat of that car (probably the only place on this planet where it makes sense, at that price).

Some might say...they loved the part with the Lexus, and don't get what I'm writing.
It's like Star Wars Episode I, "the greatest thing ever",....if you're 12 years old.
If you did like this bit, I'm sure you own a Playstation 3. <_<

---

The rest of the show was pretty decent thought.
The News, Clarkson's test of the useless BMW :lol: (the "Urban Offroader" <_< ), James May on the road.
Funny comment by the "Road Sign Lady"; "the car looks like it has been designed by a committee". :mrgreen:

---

In conclusion it was a decent show.

I would hope that Top Gear gets hit by the financial crisis too,
cause a low budget would force them to rely on substance,
instead of special effects, and specials that are based on staged lunacy.
I can't get over the Lexus thing. Maniacal, hysterical, digital BS.
I can see the production team finishing it at 04:00am, and the whole floor of the studio covered with empty Red Bull cans... :mouse:

And Hammond came out with one of the most ludicrous remarks, something like: it's good, it's very good......... but it's a Lexus. Does he rate a car on its badge?

People do rate cars on the prestige of the badge. It's a shame, but it's the truth.

I liked the episode overall. The first 40 minutes were a 9/10, the sign lady segment was a little less interesting though.

I give it 8, it was better and more down to earth than most of the shows this and last season. I wasn't to fussed about the SIARPC, he seemed to be quite uncomfortable in the interview, like he didn't have much to say. Still funny and entertaining though. The Lexus review was good and solid, but I didn't really go for the UFO effects. James' review was the best of the season I think, very informative. Though it sounds nerdy, I did enjoy the history of road signs, it was proper entertainment without the gimmicks and forced humour they've been using lately. I always like the awards, and the X6 review may have had more useless details, but it wasn't over the top and I still enjoyed it.

10/10. For me it was the best of the season (excluding bolivia). I don't know... it felt like the like the episodes back in the 8 series. It was solid and very fun! I did like all the segments

I thought Vauxhall Insignia has that Opel Eye thingie installed, which reads signs as you drive along, so maybe it'd be clever if James mentioned that while talking signs. Or he didn't want to because that is what we expected of him to do? :hmm:

(...) He didn't even test the X6 M which has the 500+ horsepower engine but rather a diesel (A fuel which Jeremy never stops voicing his hate for). James's test of the VXR was for me the least exciting of all however. He just didn't seem that enthusiastic about the car and multiple times said things like "well I just couldn't think of anything more constructive to say". (...)

I don't think the engine was his biggest problem, because giving that car more pooooower wouldn't address its problems, namely that it looks like an off roader but can't really go off road, and that it's kind off pointless on the road because it's uncomfortable and due to the off road body quite heavy. None of that could be solved with a bigger engine. To Make the X6 better, well it would have to be more focused, either a car for the road or a car that can handle a bit of grass. Anything in between is completely pointless in my book because it's sort of useless everywhere and only looks tough.

But I agree on the Insignia VXR film, that would have been fine if it had been shorter. The first few minutes told you that it is a mental car but very restrained and actually quite nice to drive. After that, there was nothing left. Now the nerdy side of me liked the road signs stuff but it seemed a bit forced in places. I'm confident James would have been capable of a grown-up interview. But that's just nitpicking, overall I was (sadly) expecting another mediocre show and found this episode quite enjoyable, with only the last few minutes getting a bit tiresome when they had to kill some more time.

kinda boring...7/10
LFA was great but the editing was useless and really stupid! The beauty of the car didnt come out :(

i really enjoyed james may's review...Clarksons was just patethic and not funny at all

I just can't help myself thinking that james's vauxhall part was deliberately made boring.. all that talking about road signs with 80 year old lady who can't see what's all the fuss about.. :? I like to think that they've done that to emphasize vauxhall's boring nature.. :)

I thought it was a great episode... Everyone on this forum just seems bitter.

final episode series 14

final episode series 14

not the best or worse. felt kind of ripped off as they were going on about trying to make up the hour... and wasting money on their car films.

They have all this nice budget and they go and make rubbish like the New vectra (i dont even know what is called thanks to them, I think James said it twice) an article on an X6, we know its pointless. The LFA was very interesting, didnt see that coming but then it had all this janky cartoon stuff all over it. I think they are finding a new direction at the moment and may need to stir it up but in a different way.

good luck top gear, I hope you recover. cant wait for 5th gear to return.

kind of a let down, except maybe for the bmw bit..cheap..riiiight. :D

final episode series 14

final episode series 14

Not the best or worse episode this season. I felt kind of ripped off as they were going on about trying to make up the hour... and wasting money on their car films. I'll do it if you want, i will do it for half the price.

They have all this nice budget and they go and make rubbish like the New vectra (i dont even know what is called thanks to them, I think James said it twice) an article on an X6, we all know its a pointless vehicle. The LFA was very interesting, didnt see that coming but then it had all this janky (techincal term) cartoon stuff all over it. I think they are finding a new direction at the moment and struggling. they may need to stir it up but in a different way. Maybe Specials only....and leave teh journalistic side to another show?

The Balbini is some car, glad it won car of the year but wait,.... when was it on top gear ? Ohyeah when that ruddy spaceship was being flown by james. Why ? why wasnt there a good 15 minutes on the balbini, a short film (2 mins) on Balbini himself, previous Lambo specials etc... this jokey business has to stop. I know Wilman has addressed it and good for him, thanks. That art gallery would have been good if we had seen it ! not all this clowing about (badly)

good luck top gear, I hope you recover.

The roads May drove on with the Insignia are around me. He practically drove my route to University.

Lexus sound is higher. Carrera has lower done.
CF body makes this car expencive.
Look how much cost Zonda and Veyron. And they are slower than GT-R.
There's nothing to justify this price - They'll make 500 LF-A's at this price and still wont make any money at all, ok carbon fibre is expensive but I guess they've spend so many years developing it they went bonkers with price and you have to consider, that it is still a Lexus, which is million light years away from other supercar makers in terms of tradition, style and exclusiveness. And if you want faster, rarer, made entirely out of carbon fibre and 10 times more exclusive car you can get ( for about the same amount of money ) an Ascari A10 which did a lap in 1:17.3. Maybe in 10-20 years Lexus will make their supercars range respectable and desirable ( like Nissan did with GT-R's over the years ), but now for me LF-A is nothing but very expensive car that will end in rich people's underground garage's.

i would have rathered the 599 review with the LFA instead of the 599 instead of hammonds review of the lfa. sorry ill download the HD rip to see if it gets better.
but im picking... :p i love anything the tg boys produce

Great episode, probably the best one this season bar last weeks.

Loved the editing on the LF-A flick. News, awards and even the SIARPC was great.

Did get a bit bored on the obvious segment. X6 was decent. Lots of small segments felt like it went for a proper hour.

9/10