Report: Next-gen Mercedes-Benz S-class to launch with plug-in hybrid

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
While this is a nice green-alternative, I would be more interested to hear about a US Launch of an S-class with a diesel engine.

Report: Next-gen Mercedes-Benz S-class to launch with plug-in hybrid

Source: Autocar via Autoblog

Mercedes-Benz only recently launched its first production hybrid in the form of the S400 BlueHybrid, and it's already working on the next generation of its flagship S-class. When that model debuts in a few years time, it is expected to be the first model from Stuttgart to offer a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) powertrain. At this point, it's unknown which of Mercedes' two hybrid systems it will use. The S400 uses a new mild hybrid system that doesn't support electric-only driving, but Mercedes-Benz also has the two-mode system from the ML450 hybrid. The automaker showed off the potential for this car with the Vision 500 Plug-in HYBRID concept (above) at last year's Frankfurt Motor Show.

With the disbanding of the two-mode hybrid joint development with BMW and General Motors, it has been thought that the two-mode system would not be used by Mercedes-Benz in any new applications. This system can support a plug-in variant with electric-only drive. It's also possible that Daimler will create a brand-new system, perhaps derived from the mild system but with a more powerful motor to support electric drive. The PHEV system that will be used in the next-gen S-Class is also expected to be applied across the Mercedes range, so we're thinking a new system is more likely.

mb-s500-hybrid-large_1.jpg

mb-s500-hybrid-large_3.jpg

mb-s500-hybrid-large_2.jpg

mb-s500-hybrid-large_4.jpg

mb-s500-hybrid-large_5.jpg

58577mer_image2.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose it's not like the average S-Class needs to have face melting power. I don't necessarily disapprove, at least the suckers will be getting a decent car at the end of the day, and if hybrids keep getting let off easy you're going to get lots of cash incentives.

Given that people need to announce how green they are, I'm assuming those decals will be standard.

Hehe nah MB just really really likes to show off their concepts when they're out and about. The ESF was the same
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/01/04/news07mercedes_esf_06.jpg

I REALLY hope they come with those decals, then I can have a good :lol: nearly every day since they'll probably be 9283489 of them on the road out here.

Why do Hybrids, Eco and Electric Cars of Manufactures have always silly writings and embarressing decals sticking on their side?

They showing pictures of a car, that has been made ugly due some RacingStickers, saying "HYBRID" and just a "small photo" of how the whole system works. :lol:

Anyway, I think the Car is pointless, its heavyer than a normal S-Class, you cant go as far and it takes still hours to recharge it. An S-Class is built for people who can afford it, and people who can afford it usually dont have money problems, so why would they need to save money by driving an BIG and HEAVYYYyy (*dadadaawn*) Saloon car, with heavy Electric Motors and heavy Battaries, when its most of its time driving on its petrol engine anyway?

Pointless! All just Mercedes showing off. ;)

When will the smugness end?