Rumormill: 2011 BMW 1 Series to get DCT

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
Nice! I mean, if you're going to offer a automatic, at least make it a DCT. :thumbup:

Rumormill: 2011 BMW 1 Series to get DCT

Source: Bimmerfile via Autoblog

The BMW obsessives at Bimmerfile supposedly have it on good authority that the 2011 BMW 1 Series will be available with the same seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox fitted to the current Z4 and a handful of Euro-only models.

Although a six-speed manual will still be available, the proliferation of BMW's DCT throughout its line up -- including the 335i, M3 and Z4 -- makes adding the Getrag-source dual-clutch 'box to the 1 series a no-brainer. Specifically, it should be fitted to the updated 135i when it arrives later this year, which means launch control on BMW's smallest offering is just a few months away.

22-bmw-135i-630op.jpg

well, it's kind of logical.... Both the 335i & Z4 can be equipped with the new DCT, so it's only a matter of time before BMW offer their customers the option of the DCT box on their 1 series.

It's not even the amount of gears, it's that it has 7 gears but only goes 155 MPH.

I mean, that's a lot of shifting. Unless the 7th gear is some kind of hyper overdrive super economy gear that idles at freeway speed and is in no way useful for making the thing go forward.

It's an ?ber-quick dual clutch automatic, more gears are better. The Lexus (Aisin-Warner) 8-speed is a regular slowpoke slushbox.

Last edited:
Since when does BMW do anything logical these days?

Well, I know a guy high up in their accounting department and he told me that they are thinking of only offering the dkg (as its called in germany) in some of their cars... No more manual... Guess its gonna be a couple of years, but prepare for that future...
The more I drive in Forza with my Fanatec, the more I want a proper shifter in my car, and the moment I sit in my car, I'm simply happy about my DSG ;-) :?:?:?

It's not even the amount of gears, it's that it has 7 gears but only goes 155 MPH.

I mean, that's a lot of shifting. Unless the 7th gear is some kind of hyper overdrive super economy gear that idles at freeway speed and is in no way useful for making the thing go forward.

With Porsche it is, so wouldn't surprise me if BMW did the same thing.