Porsche CEO reportedly says 'no hybrid sports cars'

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
Go to any major city worldwide and you're likely to see a Porsche 911 roll by. It's far more common than seeing one making the cornstalks blur in the middle of farm country, anyway. Porsche CEO Michael Macht disagrees that his sports cars frequent metro areas. "They're not driven in the city," Macht told the UK's Autocar when discussing hybrid 987s and 997s. Of course, city driving is where hybrid powertrains rack up fuel economy credits, which Macht acknowledges before dismissing by saying, "It's technically possible but it's not part of the plan."

Despite the verbot on hybrid 911s, Boxsters and Caymans, technology will be thrown at the sports cars to improve efficiency. "We want brake regeneration and stop-start for our sports cars, but not hybrid," explains Macht. Just because there's no hybrids other than the Cayenne doesn't mean Porsche isn't playing with electrons. "There are some efforts to make a pure electric supercar," Macht notes, though such a vehicle would have to be capable of running as hard for as long as the petro-fueled Porsche cars ? no 30-mile ranges here.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/07/report-porsche-ceo-says-no-hybrid-sports-cars/

Thank god at least one company has some sense left and isn't jumping on the bandwagon.

Porsche is also the one majorish manufacturer that doesn't offer a Diesel.

Despite the verbot on hybrid 911s, Boxsters and Caymans, technology will be thrown at the sports cars
... reading stuff like that in english media always makes me cringe ...
argatoga said:
Porsche is also the one majorish manufacturer that doesn't offer a Diesel.
I?m afarid they do. The Cayenne is available with a Diesel 6cyl, and the Panamera is rumored to also get that engine (and the VAG V8 Diesel) as an option soon.

Ah well at least they can justify it with the Cayenne (it is a truck/SUV).

They did say no sports cars. So I think this no hybrids/no diesel thing only pertains to the 911, the Boxster, and the Cockster

I dont see why should they make hybrids. VWs got a dozen other brands that better suit that market. Good on Porsche for keeping the sport in Sports Car.

So, this (fortunately) rules out a traditional hybrid system. They might be looking into a F1-style KERS, system though, as he mentioned regenerative braking.

Personally, I think they should invest their money in light weight constructions. Composites are expensive, but someone needs make the move to try to find ways to produce it in volume to make costs go down. They should also be making their sportscars smaller, as well as adding all sorts of light weight and efficient technologies to it. They should be reminded about what made their cars so good in the past.

So, there won't be a hybrid 911, Boxster and Cayman, but there WILL be a hybrid Panamera and Cayenne. Meh, they should rather spend some money on redesigning their 4-door offerings.