"Around the world in 80 cars" Top Gear movie?

I am sorry but you must be joking. The production on the Bolivia film is very poor. Too many continuity errors. I have actually produced better home movies.
Love the idea but not sure how well this would work. Unless they drove up through Siberia and hopped over to Alaska...now that could be interesting.

Yes, some man on the internet with a video camera can pull off better cinematography than one of the best film crews in television. Also, a yeti riding a unicorn asked me to sell you a bridge in Nigeria that was owned by a former prince and v1agra reseller.

Yes, some man on the internet with a video camera can pull off better cinematography than one of the best film crews in television. Also, a yeti riding a unicorn asked me to sell you a bridge in Nigeria that was owned by a former prince and v1agra reseller.

:lol:

Long Way Round ? Round the World Trip via Motorcycle

wikipedia said:
From 14 April 2004 to 29 July 2004, Ewan McGregor, Charlie Boorman, motorcycle riding cameraman Claudio von Planta and their support crew traveled from London to New York, via Western and Central Europe, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Siberia and Canada, for a cumulative distance of 18,887 miles (30,396 km). The only sections of the trip not undertaken by motorcycle were the 31-mile (50 km) passage through the Channel Tunnel, 580 miles (930 km) by train in Siberia, which circumvented the Zilov Gap; several river crossings and a short impassable section in eastern Russia, which were undertaken by truck; and a 2,505-mile (4,031 km) flight from Magadan in eastern Russia to Anchorage, Alaska.
Article continues

The support crew traveled in two Mitsubishi off-road vehicles ? a red L200 Animal LWB 4x4 pick-up and a black Shogun Warrior DI-D automatic estate. The pickup got trashed about 2/3rds of the way in Mongolia (?), but the Shogun made it all the way to Magadan way over on the far eastern seaboard of Siberia. It was left there and the crew & bikes flew to Alaska to continue the journey.

So the upshot is that the trip though really difficult, is sort of possible with a lot of planning, luck and time and a bit of pragmatism/cheating hear & there.

Whether they could or would do it or not is an interesting question, but it?s has been done before both by motorcycle and I recall that Ford attempted to do the similar trip back in the mid- 1990?s with three light 4x4s, that they were offering back then, they were re-badged Nissan somethings, I believe.
:)

One of them must buy a Yugo.

One of them must use my old Saturn (Reliable but about as interesting as a tissue box)

One of them should buy a Chevy Citation (if they can find one)

If you see my post above the story is a fake.

The Daily Mail took it off their website after a while. That doesn't mean it's fake. There could be many reasons for that, technical ones included and much more likely. I mean, since when has the fact whether a story is true or relevant been a criterium to the Daily Mail? ;)

Last edited:
I'd rather have this than a Series 15 and 16 in 2010, frankly.

While it would be a serious endeavor and probably more grueling than shooting 14 episodes across two series, it would just be a single event which means they don't have to come up with dozens of ideas to fill 14 installments of SIARPC, two each of epic races and challenges, a "special", dozens of car reviews, scores of studio segments, etc. So JC and Andy would at least be able to focus on just doing one thing as best as possible and just "have fun" which would hopefully "recharge the idea battery" for a single Series 15 in 2011.

Or if Andy and JC really are dropping hints that Top Gear's time is coming to a close, what better way to close it out than an around the world Road Trip.

I totally agree.

I'd rather have this than a Series 15 and 16 in 2010, frankly.

While it would be a serious endeavor and probably more grueling than shooting 14 episodes across two series, it would just be a single event which means they don't have to come up with dozens of ideas to fill 14 installments of SIARPC, two each of epic races and challenges, a "special", dozens of car reviews, scores of studio segments, etc. So JC and Andy would at least be able to focus on just doing one thing as best as possible and just "have fun" which would hopefully "recharge the idea battery" for a single Series 15 in 2011.

Or if Andy and JC really are dropping hints that Top Gear's time is coming to a close, what better way to close it out than an around the world Road Trip.

This x1,000.

TBH, I've always considered full lenght movies of a TV Show as a marker for the shows death. Although I'd like to see it I can't think anything other than that the end is near.

nevermind, didn't read all of the posts above.

It's probably a crock of shit, but it's an excellent idea. It would be awesome if it came into being. I'd love to see the boys take a break from TG for a while, maybe making their own Long Way Round - only with the most diabolical shitboxes ... in the world! But it would have to be a series of episodes rather than one great big long film.

I don't think they'd be able to cut it down to just 1 x 2 hour lump of film if they did it properly.

It would be an interesting way to do a final series, just because it's not something they could hope to top ever.

OK I agree would be humongous - instead, what about across Oz?

From Sydney or Adelaide or better still Brisbane to Perth perhaps, one in a GM, one in a Ford and one in a Toyota perhaps?
Just an idea. ... Ummm wrong thread?

Last edited:
Get to Ayres Rock (Apologies indigenous peoples, I do not know the correct name for it) Oz stig does a lap - now that would be a Challenge!

TBH, I've always considered full lenght movies of a TV Show as a marker for the shows death. Although I'd like to see it I can't think anything other than that the end is near.

nevermind, didn't read all of the posts above.

I had a similar thought. South Park and Simpsons movies came to mind.

It would be an interesting way to do a final series, just because it's not something they could hope to top ever.

I agree. It would have to be a whole series and where could they possibly go idea-wise and physically after that?

Get to Ayres Rock (Apologies indigenous peoples, I do not know the correct name for it) Oz stig does a lap - now that would be a Challenge!

Speaking of indigenous peoples I have to confess to reading that and thinking "Abo Stig". What time is the next bus to hell?

What about having the challenges in 3D?
or is it too much asking? :lol:

This would be the perfect opportunity to convert some friends... :evil: