Does any one smoke here?

Does any one smoke here?

• Total voters
Interestingly, out of 74 respondents to date, I don't see any women who have said they smoke.

*sheepishly raises hand* I do.

I wish I didn't. It started with a silly prank played on a friend. That was 17 years ago. Now I can't seem to find the wherewithal to quit. I hate that I'm a smoker; I hate that I'm slave to a substance, that if I'm at a non-smoking friend's house I have to duck out every couple hours or risk becoming mean. I hate constantly being worried about whether I reek of stale smoke (though several people have told me, with no prompting from me, that they wouldn't know I smoke if they hadn't seen me doing it).

Interestingly, the only time I seem to be immune from nic fits is on long-haul flights. I never feel the need to light up on an airplane, ever. I only start getting fidgety when either going through customs or waiting for my bag.

I might not ever have become a smoker if I hadn't been semi-raised by someone who was a chain smoker herself. From the age of three months to the age of almost twelve, I was exposed to large amounts of smoke five days a week. This was before the big uproar over secondhand smoke, of course. I, myself, am careful never to smoke near children or pregnant women.

There are a (very) few pleasant things about smoking, though. In work and social settings, I find that the smokers are usually the more interesting/entertaining people in the group. I do love the cigarette I have with my morning coffee, and the one that kick-starts my digestion after a huge meal. And, yes, I have been known to use it as an excuse to simply be outside for 10 minutes or so. (Sure, everyone can step outside just to be outside if they want to; I just have the advantage of people knowing that I'm about to get really grumpy if I don't get out. So I play it up occasionally. :)) Otherwise, though, it sucks, and I cheer all you non-smokers on the board and hope you never start.

Reactions: Jay
There are a (very) few pleasant things about smoking, though. In work and social settings, I find that the smokers are usually the more interesting/entertaining people in the group. I do love the cigarette I have with my morning coffee, and the one that kick-starts my digestion after a huge meal. And, yes, I have been known to use it as an excuse to simply be outside for 10 minutes or so.
I agree with all of those points. When I go to parties at this friend of mines house I always nest outside where all the cool people smoke. Last time we discussed: immigration, multiculturalism, the Roman inquisition, Catholicism, Atheism and the art of making your own jewelry from silver and gold. When I ducked inside to take a slash I overheard what the non-smokers were talking about. On the way in they were talking about Buffy The Vampire Slayer and as I passed back through they were talking about Facebook.

One can only conclude that smoking makes you more interesting.:mrgreen:

And yeah, a cigarette and a cup of coffee go hand-in-hand and a cigarette after a big meal is very nice.:cool:

And I also duck outside for a smoke just to get the hell away from everyone for a while too.:lol:

Last edited:
^ Glad I'm not the only one, Austere. :)

Mind you, the last time I hung around outside with the smoking kids, I was treated to an imitation of the Swedish Chef chasing Big Bird about in the Muppet Christmas special. I can't pretend all smokers are interesting . . . .

And some you want to outright avoid.

Also very handy when the big boss is also a smoker. So much stuff gets sorted when you're both outside for the few minutes for a cigarette. Saves hours in brief writing and so forth.

Cigars and Hookah, but one of my New Year's resolutions is not to smoke for a year as I had started hookahing a lot after I came to school and I realized how bad it is for me.

So I put "Rarely"

I generally enjoy more expensive Cigars, I tend to go over to the Iwan and Ries on Wabash that has been in Chicago for ever and ever, and the dudes there always give me good suggestions on cigars in my price range. Also, they're very helpful and very accommodating; once I was buying 2 $20 cigars and was $3 short, so the man simply lowered the price by $3 and said "That's fixed!". I thought that was a really nice touch, and I continue to return because of how accommodating, polite, and educational they are.

Last edited:
Cigars.

Way too expensive for any benefit, and not good for health but I have no problem with those that do, unlike some people.

I usually smoke American Spirits. Mainly when I'm with my buddies out drinking. So about a pack a week or so. The only time I smoke when I'm not out drinking is after a very long day at work (sometimes I just need to chill the hell out after dealing with customers) or if it's just been a long day in general (women issues etc.)

When I lived in Italy I smoked Gauloises, miss those... but American Spirits are all natural and nice, albeit expensive!

It has never really been an addictive issue for me, if I get a cold or something I just simply stop smoking til it's gone, but it's something I do rather enjoy. Relaxing and a fun thing for guys to do when they're having "Get away from women" time.

Ooookayy... Had two more cigars last night (well, someone stole or threw away my first one when I was only half way through it and took a break, but w/e) and I don't think I'm going to do it again. I was that guy that was standing outside in the freezing cold while everyone else was inside having a good time. Then this morning my jacket had a vomit-inducing stench coming off of it :yucky: Waste of time, if you ask me :dunno:

Ooookayy... Had two more cigars last night (well, someone stole or threw away my first one when I was only half way through it and took a break, but w/e) and I don't think I'm going to do it again. I was that guy that was standing outside in the freezing cold while everyone else was inside having a good time. Then this morning my jacket had a vomit-inducing stench coming off of it :yucky: Waste of time, if you ask me :dunno:

Well of course it's gonna suck if you're out in the freezing cold on your own while everyone else stays inside. No fun in that. My friends and I dont smoke, but we do like to light up cigars at BBQs and social gatherings. Good company and an accompanying glass of Whiskey goes a long way.

I can see myself enjoying a cigar once every few months (hence I'm not worried about health risks).

This. I smoke maybe two or three cigars a year.
Tried one cigarette just to see what all the hype was about. Thought it was the most horrible awful thing ever. I don't see how smokers live with that taste in their mouths even after the cigarette is long gone.

Last edited:
You can have up to one cigar a week with no measurable health detriments. Any more than that and you start seeing gum erosion and other dental and throat problems.

Yes, I actually researched it.

I enjoy a cigar with whisky once in a while.

Yes, mainly when i'm driving or in bars.
Mainly lucky strike & kent futura.

I can go days or weeks without a cigarette without missing it though. But somehow I always end up smoking in bars.

Bump from the depths of ancient posts! It's funny reading my posts from 3 years ago here :lol: Anyways, I've gone from not smoking, to trying convenience store "cigars", to this:

cigar1.jpg

I tend to enjoy a cigar once every couple of months or so. Recently, however, I've been thinking of getting a pipe. I tried it once and really liked it - cooler smoke, lots of flavor/aroma. Plus, as BlaRo would put it, classy as f*ck! Time to research... :)

PS: I've tried cigarettes but after realizing that I only really smoke them if I'd been drinking and one is offered and I don't even really enjoy it, I've decided to stop. Again, I used to only have a few per year but now I've cut out drunken smoking as well so no more cigs at all.

Last edited:
Never have and never will. No cigars, cigarettes, or weed ever. My mom died from heart disease accelerated by smoking and my dad has COPD, so I want to avoid doing the same thing.

My brother does it and it really changed his outward appearance weirdly. Grandma has terminal bronchitis, dad smoked for 25 years, stopped 10 years ago. He still has a cough but, not like grandma where it's nasty fits.

I don't like the smell and I hate how the smell leaches into everything, makes selling stuff hard.

I'm not seeing the point of it really.

I'm not seeing the point of it really.

Then don't try it.

Grandfathers both smoked cigarettes (unfiltered) for decades. One died at 78, other is still kicking at ...89? I think. He quit a few years ago, though.

Dad used to smoke cigars when I was a kid. I used to love the smoke, so I always hung around it. Now, I smoke cigarettes, a few a day, not much. Don't smoke when I'm with my niece or nephews, don't smoke around people who don't like it. Smoke a cigar every now and then, usually with a nice brandy or something. I like the smell, I like the taste, I like the nicotine.