In The Market For A Used MX-5. Tips?

Supreme_Being

Car(s)
About to get one.
Any tips? Things I should look out for? Things I should look for? Things I should be aware of?

TIA

SB

Once you buy it, you must immediately apply an anti-gay bar to it.

Sorry, I didn't quite get it, Spectre.

BTW, I'm eyeing is the older models with the pop up head lamps.

Last edited:
:lol:

Well, okay - he must either install an anti-gay bar or visit a gay bar. How about that? :D

i just can't believe how people think its a gay person's car though. maybe cause i like the majority of JDM cars too much.

subjectiveness is always an issue sometimes. (and sorry not contributing to the thread.)

its small and cute... but mostly its just a joke :p

Miata.net knows everything you ever wanted to know about the MX-5. There are some used car buying guides in the "Garage" section that are very helpful, especially when looking for an NA (the first generation - the ones with the pop up headlights). The forum is a wealth of information with a variety of enthusiasts, from the kid buying his first car to the hardcore Spec Miata and MX-5 Cup racers.

The NA is the first generation - 1990 (or '89) to 1997 (or potentially '98, I'm not sure about some non-North-American parts of the world). These cars all had pop-up headlights from the factory.

The NB is the second generation - 1999 (or '98 in some parts of the world) to 2005. These cars were built on an improved version on the NA's chassis. No pop-up headlights, a bit more weight, a bit more power.

The NC is the third generation - 2006 (some 2005 models in some areas) through current. This is a complete redesign.

Find yourself a good example and have a lot of fun. :)

i just can't believe how people think its a gay person's car though. maybe cause i like the majority of JDM cars too much.

subjectiveness is always an issue sometimes. (and sorry not contributing to the thread.)

Been discussed before. The early marketing blitz for the Miata in the US and some other countries was clearly targeted at women and to a lesser degree gay men.

Unfortunately for the Miata, the image stuck.

If you truly want something masculine and manly get one of these:

rrotd_mg_03.jpg

:p

Or a TR6.

800px-Triumph-tr6-gaydon.jpg

Thanks for the inputs, I greatly appreciate it.

You can rule out MG and Triumphs because I'm staying the the Philippines right now, and cars here are mostly Japanese (there are some European and American, but spares are rather expensive), so it is mostly a choice between the MX-5 or the MR2. I chose the MX-5.

Get a record of when the timing belt was last changed that will set you back $700-$1000 and it needs to be done every 60,000 miles. Also a new top wil set you back $1,000-$2,000. Those are the only expensive maintenance issues I've run into. Otherwise they are exceptional cars, and you will love it.

Thanks for the inputs, I greatly appreciate it.

You can rule out MG and Triumphs because I'm staying the the Philippines right now, and cars here are mostly Japanese (there are some European and American, but spares are rather expensive), so it is mostly a choice between the MX-5 or the MR2. I chose the MX-5.

Heh you and your desire for a cheap and reliable car.

Yes the MX-5 is a great car. I'd prefer one over an MR2 myself.

I'd avoid the 1.6l cars. The first year and a half of production they have a known issue with the crank. They can also develop rust problems in the front fenders/wings near the doors if the inner liner isn't removed and the shit cleared out of 'em.

1.8l cars area bit heavier but have more chassis bracing (the newer the better it gets), you can gain some power by swapping to a 99 cylinder head (not possible on 1.6l engines), and you get a stronger diff and trans with double syncros on 2nd gear.

There really isn't anything specific to look for on these cars, they are very solid and reliable (and why I lol'd at argatoga's recommendations :p) just listen/feel/look for any problems you might find on any other used car of it's vintage.