The Android thread

The only Android phone that I can find on my carrier's (Rogers) website is the LG Eve. Is it any good? ($50 w/ 3-year plan).

Edit: Apparently, this phone comes with an earlier version of Android (1.5 I think), will I be able to update it like a downloadable patch?

Last edited:
3 year plan? I'd stay far, far, away. 2 years is bad enough, most phones barely last that long anymore.

This might seem like a stupid question, but can someone give me a couple of bulletpoints why Android is so great? Just based on engadgat (reading the comments there is painful) everyone seems to be calling out for it but I don't really get what's so vastly different from Nokia, WinMo and Apple (asides from the usual it's not winmo etc, which I really don't have a problem with)

Given the massive number of devices it's on, and being added to, it's bound to take over much of the hand held market.

It's easy "rooted" (sort of like jailbreaking for iphone) but less dangerous than doing into an iphone, and it seems as though google doesn't really give a damn if you do it. This allows for all sorts of fun.

Apps that may be banned from some carries (wireless tethering being one of them) is hosted by google itself and easily added to any phone rooted. Means you can use your Data plan for your phone to get on the net and your phone works as a wireless router.

Both a plus and a minus - Integration with google apps. I say a Plus because it autosync's google calender, pushes Gmail, and just about any google service works great on it. I use google calender to keep my work schedule up to date on my phone.

Lastly, even if the companies say "we won't be porting X version to X phones" the hackers can do it. Android 2.0 is officially not going on the G1, but IIRC I believe it's already been running on G1's.

The downside to the above, google has that much more access to your info. Contacts are autobacked up to google, which means they now know pretty much every person you talk to. If you aren't the tinfoil hat type, not an issue, but this much access to my info is a little disturbing to me.

3 year plan is a baaaaaad idea.
In fact, the local government issued a law forbidding contracts longer than a year, and I think they're right.

Actually, Rogers does have a Magic for $30 more, is it really worth it?

Damn, do any HTC phones come with headphone jacks? The Magic doesn't, while the LG Eve does.

This is very important because I plan to use it as my music player also.

So basically, the LG Eve is my only choice (I'm saying that like it's a bad thing, is it?).

Can someone state the differences between Android 1.5 (Eve has it), 1.6, and 2.0? Will I be able to upgrade 1.5 to 1.6/2.0 by myself?

If anyone can post some positive feedback on the Eve, that would be great (I'm upgrading from a Samsung a736. BTW). :)

Last edited:
Higher numbered versions usually mean more features, no? You probably can upgrade yourself, with varying degrees of success.

You get headphones with all these phones anyway and a converter isn't that expensive if you want to use better headphones.

Higher numbered versions usually mean more features, no? You probably can upgrade yourself, with varying degrees of success.

You get headphones with all these phones anyway and a converter isn't that expensive if you want to use better headphones.

Obviously, don't be such a smartass. I just wanna know if they are SIGNIFICANT differences, or just minor ones.

Holy crap the new HTC incredible is 7 different shades of ugly:

incr4.jpg

incr2.jpg

incr5.jpg

incr1.jpg

incr3.jpg

That back cover.... :sick:

I agree.....terrible

That looks like Sense on WVGA. Nexus One + that rom = sex.

Are they seriously selling it with that backcover?

Do these people not have eyes?

I dunno, it's kind of weird looking but honestly, if it's a good phone, I'd get over it very fast.

Well, I called Rogers and here's what they said I have to pay to upgrade my phone to the LG Eve:

$100 for the phone (not $50, probably because it's too early in my current 3-year plan for an upgrade)
$35 administration fee
$50 rebate

Subtotal: $85

Plus, they said I absolutely HAVE to get a data plan which is $25/month in addition to the normal phone plan. The phone comes with WiFi, so can't I just tell them that I don't use the internet frequently enough (which I don't) to get a whole data plan and I want to just use WiFi for free?

Also, they should have a data plan that's similar to the one they are offering on my current phone, which is: $1 for 24 hours of unlimited usage, or $10/month. Obviously it would be more expensive, but I'd rather pay something like $3 every time I need internet and can't get a WiFi connection, instead of $25/month.

:lol:

The LG has a lot more features (for the price: 5MP camera, standard headphone jack, etc.) and for some reason they show the Magic on their main site, then say it isn't available. :?

They're out of stock :(

Would've got one just for the hell of it.