Heavy Rain

jedd_kenobi

Forum Addict
Car(s)
A Blue Police Box
Literally just played the demo for this on my PlayStation 3 and found it to be the most insane and addictive game i've played in ages. Its from the same people who did Indigo Prophecy (or Farhenheit as it was called here in England).
As far as i know, the games story follows 4 seperate people as they try to track down a serial killer called the 'Origami Killer'
Its essentially the same as Farhenheit where the player presses buttons or moves the sticks in time to onscreen prompts. While some people might see it as a game filled with QTE one of the things thats sold me on this game is that it has mulitple plot angles to be played (Those who have played Indigo Prophecy will know what i mean, the game can be played for a various set of methods in story telling which results in differing playthroughs).
The Demo is available now on the PlayStation Network (or at least it is in the UK PSNetwork) and the game is scheduled for a release over the next few weeks. 23rd Feb in America, 24th Feb in Europe and 26th Feb in England.
Also trailer goodiness follows below.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPPdgBK3r8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnQr4k7Afs[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Looks promising,

I like that it's probably going to be like an interactive movie.

I preordered the Special Edition complete with a little origami model for 47 ? yesterday :D (They must have made some kind of mistake, normally it's 80 ? aorund here)

Damn, not for xbox. It does look entertaining. Never thought I'd see quick-time events used to save a man from an asthma attack though haha.

Played the demo.
Damn. I want it!

It looks VERY good; definitely my type of game (where the devs worked only on the story mode and not multiplayer).

My guide for a good game:

- good graphics
- good, lengthy, single-player, storyline
- good soundtrack
- good, non-repetitive gameplay

Too bad this is PS3 only (Indigo Prophecy was cross-platform). :(

Edit: Just watched this preview (SPOILERS!) and was kinda disappointed in the scene:

- Why would the kid just randomly walk off like that and why didn't the father keep an eye on him better?
- Since when is a mall so crowded that you have to literally push yourself through people?

Overall, that scene wasn't very believable, but the game should still be very good.

Last edited:
- Why would the kid just randomly walk off like that and why didn't the father keep an eye on him better?
- Since when is a mall so crowded that you have to literally push yourself through people?

Overall, that scene wasn't very believable, but the game should still be very good.

Think Vancouver 2010 Olympics :p

Well besides Gran Turismo 5, this makes me want to buy a PS3 even more!

I'm almost convinced the PS3 is going to have a good year this year. I don't know about the release date of Gran Turismo 5 but for me there's this and Final Fantasy 13 (In actual fact FF13 was the reason i bought a PS3 and although i'm aware its also available on Xbox and normally i buy my default games on the Xbox... FF13 belongs to be played on a playstation system.
Anyway, looking forward to getting my hands on this next friday and really having a go at it. Even more what i like about this game is that with farhenheit, the controls came up on the screen on what to do at that exact moment. Unfortunately i spent so much time looking at those and not actually at whats going on screen that i kind of lost track of the plot. With this game, those same controls are there, but they are also minimized and yet still understandable. During the Demo i knew exactly what i had to do but more importantly what was going on.

It's mostly like this

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/02/16/20100212.jpg

^Ahahaha

I've been wanting to play this game ever since I saw the first previews. I've always loved the interactive movie type games. Too bad I don't have a shitty PS3.

This games looks awesome, me wants PS3 with a GT5 bundle and this :D.

Started playing this game earlier today and it is just fricking mind blowing. i don't know how on earth they managed to make a game of this quality but right from the beginning i've been blown away by the gameplay. On top of that they've created a storyline where i've really felt connected to the character (i know theres four but i'm still on the first dude at the moment).
the graphics are the true standout here, i don't know how they produced something of this quality but this is shaping up to be a very beautiful game.

I want this game. My friends all think it's 'gay' because it doesn't have any explosions but I like that, by their definition I like a lot of 'gay' games like Mirror's Edge, The Orange Box, Killer7, Tomb Raider, Wipeout or Flower.

I like artsy games okay! I also like indie games.

So, this thread has nothing to do with deuterium oxide, I take it.

:(

I want this game. My friends all think it's 'gay' because it doesn't have any explosions but I like that, by their definition I like a lot of 'gay' games like Mirror's Edge, The Orange Box, Killer7, Tomb Raider, Wipeout or Flower.

I like artsy games okay! I also like indie games.

You need new friends. Seriously, I don't remember being that stupid when I was 15.:|

how can Tomb Raider and The Orange Box be gay? thats going to keep me wondering. How can anyone stare at Ms Croft's finely pixelated rear end and think "i'd much rather be looking at a mans rear end?"
I'm going to agree with Redliner, there's more to games out there than just cheap explosions and CoD-esque game play. Problem is that most of them tend to look at games and see if it has any chance of them showing off bragging rights and allow them to make claims of being 'leet' and 'uber' when most often all they're doing is just proving how long its been since they last saw a girl.

this game has me very tempted to get a PS3, GT5 used to have me tempted but when saw the videos and the sound still had the annoying echo that i remember from all the other GT games i have, it put me off quite alot.

Interested to hear more peoples thoughts on Heavy Rain though.

I have yet to play the full game , but the demo is quite impressive.

Last edited:
Should I buy or just rent? Or should I rent and buy when it inevitably gets a price reduction?

Demo first i'd say. if that sucks you in then get it. if it doesn't but are still interested then rent it. Although i've heard that given the amount of endings, no single playthrough is the same way.

Finished it - for the first time - last night, after many hours of solid playing, while my mate watched (it's not his game, and it makes for a decent movie-type experience for onlookers, it turns out). The story's undoubtedly one of the most compelling I've ever seen in a game, the graphics are certainly good (although I haven't found myself as blown away by them as many people have; probably because the lip-syncing is shite), the voice acting isn't brilliant generally, although Scott Shelby is voiced superbly (in fact, he's probably the best character in the game).

I'm spoilering most of this post because although I don't go into any massive plot details, I pick out some specific plot details, scenes, characters etc., and I don't want any complaints that I ruined the game because I didn't spoiler my post!

There are problems with the controls - I have found myself doing things I didn't mean to at points due to the vagueness sometimes, which is a shame. Using R2 to move has also worked out really badly. You're meant to use your head to look and R2 to move, and your character will turn when you've been looking for long enough, but because you need to walk along every wall and surface looking for action things you end up doing a lot of pointless stopping and turning around, which is aggravating.

There are also a few times where the game seems to lose its focus. Ideally, with interactive fiction (which Heavy Rain most certainly is), you want the player's interactions to be reflected in characters' relationships/thoughts/interactions with other characters, and affect the route of the plot, and in Heavy Rain, generally they do: you choose whether to forgive or reject someone, you can't find the clue in time, you manage to escape before you're killed, whatever it is - these depend on the player's morals, curiosity, or skill, and affect both the course of the narrative and the character you're playing (access your character's thoughts and they'll be reflecting on their previous actions, for instance). Particularly at the start of the game though, there's a ton of bagginess where you just fanny around with your kid, and it's in the name of character identification and connection to them. Now listen, Quantic Dream: I'll be identifying immediately with any character I'm playing, simply because I'm playing them, and this is proven by the fact that I cared as much about the three characters who have no backstories to the one who does. The backstory's useful for making sure you know about the guy's relationship with his kid, so that you care when the kid's kidnapped, but the game spends a ton of time getting there, and meanwhile, you're wandering around, looking at clocks, opening fridges, watching TV... it gets you nowhere. But that baggy stuff is really confined to the game's opening section and things get tauter as it progresses. When it comes to affecting the course of the plot, again, there are times at which you're just following a predefined set of actions where you literally can't change the plot, and that's disappointing. For instance, you play a flashback from years ago which only has one outcome, otherwise the entire plot would be different - so it feels pointless to play it, it might as well be a cutscene. Similarly, in the game's opening, you have to lose your son in a crowd, and so you're prevented from actually catching up to him by a thick crowd which, while heightening the drama, reduces the believability of the scenario; again, you're being cheated out of true interactivity here, so it feels like Quantic Dream are missing the point slightly. Those parts are a shame, but they're thankfully rare.

The set-pieces in Heavy Rain are terrific. Very exciting, particularly those which aren't standard fights (there are several of those) but which are more differentiated, such as a speedy drive down the wrong side of the motorway, and an attempt to negotiate cables which will electrify you if you touch them. The button prompts make sense and add to the tension of these sequences, whether it's because they arrive thick and fast or because you have to contort your body and use your nose to press them all at the same time.

The characterisation is good overall. Although you can see the archetypal platforms for most of them they're still well-written on the whole, so you've got your ex-cop-turned-private-investigator, junkie cop, dad-trying-to-save-and-reconnect-with-his-son, and such-and-such, and they all interact nicely and work well. The same goes for the plot, which blends dark intrigue with over-the-top elements, and again, I found it was well-judged, although there are occasions on which the dialogue is Avatar-bad. The game's tone is beautifully moody and rich, and there's just enough feeling of noir pastiche, particularly in Scott Shelby, the 30s-style private eye. The game's sets are fantastic as well, packed with incidental details and cars driving by the windows. It's a clich? to say they feel 'alive', but it's the best word that's coming to mind right now... perhaps 'solid' would be better? They just feel... real, I suppose.

The game's self-imposed 'maturity' generally works to its advantage, as you're experiencing a truly adult story with some genuinely horrific moments, moments which are shocking not for their graphic content but the ethical dilemmas it places you in. For instance, one character has to go through a series of Saw-style trials; the whole Saw thing about having to inflict pain and suffering upon yourself in order to survive? That idea shows its face in Heavy Rain, and when you're the person making the decisions, they're so much more terrifying. It helps that you care about the character enough to experience that terror and question your decisions, I think. There are points where it goes too far, though; the first time you meet the female character, you need to make her have a shower, and it's a shoddy excuse to look at her digitits and pretend it's not gratuitous. It just feels immature when that happens.
So, while I have several problems with the game, they're fairly minor considering the overall experience. I'm going to start a new game now, make different decisions, and see how things work out. Put it this way - I can't remember the last game that made me feel bad when I pulled a trigger, and this wasn't even a fully thought-out decision to pull the trigger: just nervousness. To have an itchy trigger finger not because I needed it for online play, but because I was on edge? There's something special going on here. I'm not saying it's the future of gaming, far from it, but Heavy Rain is definitely, definitely worth playing.

Last edited: