The Android thread

Icebone should get one of these:

500x_pillows.jpg

I would take the desire over the legend any day. The price for a desire is crazy low!!

Right. Spartphone newbie here. Been a Nokia boy all my life and still run a 5140 which is getting on for 6 years old now (had two phones in between but one went swimming and the other was nicked). Decided I fancy an android phone which will kill my brand loyalty with nokia sadly.

Looking at the HTC range but the only one available to me it seems is the HTC Tattoo. Not seen much about this on the net other than it's screen is small so some android apps may not like it and it's running android 1.6. Is it worth looking for a 2.0/2.1 phone? Will I be able to upgrade the Tattoo? Are there any other android phones worth having?

Limitations for me:
Only carriers I can use are Vodafone/o2 for signal reasons.
Max of ?25 a month contract.

If your on Vodafone using a Vodafone provided HTC Magic, you might want to run a virus scan of your computer:

Kaspersky Security Blog said:
Security researchers have found that Vodafone, one of the world's larger wireless providers, is distributing some HTC phones with malware pre-installed on them.
The phone, the HTC Magic, runs the Google Android mobile operating system, and is one of the more popular handsets right now. A researcher at Panda Security received one of the handsets recently, and upon attaching it to her PC, found that the phone was pre-loaded with the Mariposa bot client. Mariposa has been in the news of late thanks to some arrests connected to the operation of the botnet. However, that was not the only malware the Panda researcher found on the phone...

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/htc-phones-pre-installed-mariposa-bot-client-030910

Last edited:
What's the best tethering solution people have come up with? I grabbed EasyTether off the Market and it works as advertised, but it needs to be plugged in to USB. Also can't figure out how the free version is limited as opposed to the pay version.

wifitethering is included pretty much all roms. Though with my hero is sucks down battery power, even if I keep it plugged in.

What's the best tethering solution people have come up with? I grabbed EasyTether off the Market and it works as advertised, but it needs to be plugged in to USB. Also can't figure out how the free version is limited as opposed to the pay version.

PDAnet is generally accepted as the best. It does work very easily and quite well. I ran into a few random disconnects with it, but those were fixed in 5 seconds after telling it to reconnect. After the free trial you can't connect to https servers, but you can do most browsing without those anyway. If you need it, it's $30 for the full version.

I just learnt that the Legend has been released in the Netherlands. :drool: Now I need to ask myself whether ?30 extra is worth waiting till tuesday :hmm:

Yeah but crapper build quality ;) 30? was the difference between buying now or ordering online and waiting till tuesday. Although the shops that had it for 430 were out of stock so it would have been 450.
Although having seen it in real life, I am not entirely sure whether I like that kink at the end, that aluminium body however is great. The Desire will also be out next week or, maybe I can wait till then and compare them.

We dropped AT&T when it would have cost us $150/month to add data to our family plan. With Sprint it was $20 and we get more minutes :rolleyes:

Yeah AT&T sucks, but for good coverage here it's them or Verizon, but we're tied up in contracts already, not to mention that my girlfriend has, and loves, an iPhone.

We dropped AT&T when it would have cost us $150/month to add data to our family plan. With Sprint it was $20 and we get more minutes :rolleyes:

For sure. I think that when we were on ATT without data it was like 130 for 3 phones with 500 messages allowed per. Now on sprint its like that much for 3 unlimited data and messaging, and 1200 min which are never used. Way better deal.

We're paying about $150 for 500 minutes(never used) and unlimited data and text for the two of us.

I'll have to double-check but based on the numbers from Sprint's website and my memory, we are paying $170 for 5 lines, 1500 minutes, unlimited data and text :mrgreen:

Unlimited calling to any cell phone so minutes are not used at all for the most part...

So, I've finally finished and published my first somewhat proper Android app. I definitely like how easy Android development is, with Java and all the tools provided.

It's thought to be a tool for wasting time in queues, on buses etc, by entertaining yourself with quotes from websites like bash.org and qdb.us, but be faster and better readable than viewing the sites with the mobile browser.

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/biz.olex.android.quoter/Quoter

Tell me what you think :)

So, I've finally finished and published my first somewhat proper Android app. I definitely like how easy Android development is, with Java and all the tools provided.

It's thought to be a tool for wasting time in queues, on buses etc, by entertaining yourself with quotes from websites like bash.org and qdb.us, but be faster and better readable than viewing the sites with the mobile browser.

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/biz.olex.android.quoter/Quoter

Tell me what you think :)

Awesome! First thing I'm doing when I get home, since I'm leaving work now.