How do you calculate fuel range?

StrongMatt

Okay, so I'm having a bit of a brain fart here. Say I have a vehicle:

97 Liter fuel tank
14L/100km is its fuel economy rating. (17mpg or there abouts)

So how do I convert that into a fuel range...IE "This car can travel 500km on a tank"

Thanks guys.

Divide tank capacity by fuel consumption, multiply by 100. 97/14 is 7.5, so you get 750km out of one tank.

Use an economy system that isn't so stupid. :p

MPG (or Kilometers per Liter) ftw.

Use an economy system that isn't so stupid. :p

MPG (or Kilometers per Liter) ftw.

Distance per fuel is nice if you are American (as in you have a certain amount of fuel, for example a full tank, and want to know how far you can go with it), while fuel per distance is nice if you are German (as in you have a certain distance to go, and what to know how much fuel you are going to need) :rofl:

PS: Based on my trip to D?sseldorf today (6.5l/100km, 55l tank) I'd get from Beetle City to Warsaw on one tank :blink:

Last edited:
Don't you think you'd need more than one tank to invade Warsaw?

Just check your onboard computer :p

Depends a lot on the tires you have on. Also, adjusting the computer is easy at the dealer.

Depends a lot on the tires you have on.

How would the tyres influence the computer accuracy?

Both the computer and me use the distance calculated through the tyres, any error there will show up in both calculations.

Yeah, but if you put different tyres on than the ones used to calibrate the computer, the tyres that came out of the factory, the diameter will differ. This also happens with wear (not as much, but still enough to throw it off in the long run).

Rods per hogshead.

Let me rephrase :)

Imagine I drive 1000km by the odometer. The trip computer claims average consumption of 7l/100km. I'd expect to fill up 70l - but in reality I need to fill up only 67l.
For that it does not matter if I'm on huge offroad tyres and actually did 2000km or if I'm on the wheels itself with no air in the tyres doing 500km instead of 1000.

The distance for both equations comes from the same source, so any error can only come from the other value - fuel consumed. That sensor - or its interpretation - is constantly off by 0.1 to 0.4l/100km.

Different tyre circumferences change the error measured distance vs real distance, but cannot upset the relation between computer consumption and pump consumption.

Last edited: