New PS3 update? More like a downgrade

Mercury

Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
So I just turned on my PS3 and tried to log into PSN, I recieved a message saying I had to updateto version 3.21, happily I say yes and go online to find out whats new and exciting with my console, and Sony did it again. Another update out of hell that adds nothing but REMOVES OTHER OS OPTION!?!?!

Personally I no longer have Linux on my PS3 but WTF?! I'm really hoping it's an April Fools thing cause this is just ridiculous! First I can't turn on my PS3 for 3 days in fear that it'll all go to hell, now they downgrade it? For fucks sake.

This has been well covered on the gaming sites. Basically they are scared because someone figured out a complicated exploit made possible by the Other OS option to allow you to play backups of games and movies, so they see removing the option as the only way to "close the hole".

I do think it sucks balls that they advertised this as a feature and are now removing it.

In principle, this sucks. In practice, was that actually useful to anyone? I hear performance sucked in Linux.

SONY have become one of the Companies who regularly behave like "The Man". I avoid their products when I can now - I used to be an advocate - but I no longer am.

actually this was a feature i wasn't even aware of when i heard the other day it was being taken away. to be honest, its not something that overly concerns me since i never fiddled with that part of the PS3 and was never likely to if i had found out about it. for me as long as it still plays games and blu ray discs then it is still fulfilling its usefulness.

lol Sony

Yeah, no one really used it. It was just for the uber nerds.

I didn't use it, I was going to try and install Ubuntu on it as a backup but then I found you can't use RSX or CELL to their full ability so I just said fuck it. Still if you really wanted to use it, you could just partition your hard drive.

Not sure about that, it was accomplished by a partition in the first place.

I use it a LOT, I use it for light duty stuff such as web browsing (the native PS3 browser blows) and some classic game emulation (SNES).
I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed and it works fine for what I use it for.

When you want to update they tell you the consequences (about losing Linux and all that stuff) it's not like they are not warning you. They even tell you that if you want to continue using linux just exit the upgrade and ignore any upgrade advices.

When you want to update they tell you the consequences (about losing Linux and all that stuff) it's not like they are not warning you. They even tell you that if you want to continue using linux just exit the upgrade and ignore any upgrade advices.

You can't play online though if you don't update.

lol, you're such a fanboy....

it sucks plain and simple

lol, you're such a fanboy....

it sucks plain and simple

A fanboy that has both consoles?? I don't think so... <_<

95% of people here never used that feature or never heard of it. So why all the complaints?

A fanboy that has both consoles?? I don't think so... <_<

95% of people here never used that feature or never heard of it. So why all the complaints?

I've got all three consoles so what's your point :p

It's a wildly known fact that you are our resident PS3 fanboy :p

^ I was gonna say Hype was but he left after that war with naidanac a

They came for the hardware backwards compatibility users, and I said nothing, because I don't play PS2 games.
They came next for the software backwards compatibility users, and I again I said nothing, because I don't play PS2 games.
They then came for the Other OS Feature users, and again I said nothing, because I don't use Linux on the PS3.

When they finally come for you, will there be anyone left to speak up for you? :p