1994 honda accord transmission issues.

hollywood20

I have a 1994 honda accord 5 spd. The transmission was acting up recently. Now it will only go into 4th and 5th gear. I've heard its the transmission, the forks, but no one around here will tear it apart to see what it is exactly. Everyone I know suggests replacing the whole transmission. Could it possibly be something else?

go on craigslist and find someone who knows honda trannys. A good friend of mine knows them inside-out and he made some money last summer fixing people's transmissions by putting up an ad offering his services. It could be a lot of things so like I said, find someone that can take a look at it. If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can take the tranny out (not that hard) and bring it to a shop/mechanic... it'll be cheaper on labor

Since when is taking the transmission out of a fail wheel drive vehicle 'not that hard'?

If you have to have an engine hoist, sorry, it's not in the category of "not too much work" any more. :p

The internet is also full of car knowledge if you know where to look. One very active forum for Honda is Honda-Tech.com There are probably dozens of people like LeVeL's friend who would know Hondas inside and out. Make a post and try to describe all the symptoms and history of the car as possible. There are very knowledgeable Honda guys over at that forum.

I personally also own an Accord from that generation and have had no issues with its automatic transmission. It doesn't shift as smooth as I would like but definitely better than before I changed the transmission fluid (drain, fill, then drain and fill again) right when I bought the car. It's less than 500 miles away now from the big 200,000 mile mark, so I am very excited.

I'm surprised as the general mantra is that manual > auto, but anything can be crapped up if maintenance is not kept up and there is a history of abuse.

Anyway good luck with the car!

Last edited:
Man, Jaguars must be fun to work on :p With a Honda you just drop the tranny and leave the motor well alone.

The last time I did a Honda car transmission, we had to support and lift the engine slightly to get the thing out.

Edit: Confirmation here. Hoist is required per the manual; though in both my case and this link, it was a Civic; I suppose the Accord might be different though I can't see why - you still have to support the engine.

Last edited:
My taking-the-transmission-out-of-a-Honda experience is actually limited to CRXs (I assumed that it'd be more-or-less the same for Accords too :dunno:) and we didn't need to support the engine... unbolted the tranny and dropped it into my friend's lap (yes, its that light :D)