Jaguar confirms F-Type + X-Type

no, it shouldnt. Jag JUST got out of its "make all our new shit look like it came from the 60s" phase. They should make one that looks nice and maybe with a light peppering of retro cues like that 911 classic thing.

To be fair, small low and curvy doesn't necessarily mean retro and 60s. Those are all keywords which could work for a cutting edge and modern design.

Just for the record, the Solstice was small, low, and curvy, and nobody called its styling old-fashioned.

(Shame the interior and the roof and the trunk and the reliability were all garbage)

I wonder how the f-type will fit in the range, with the XK, XKR, XKRS hanging around.

Basically, if they're sane, it'll be Miata or S2000 money. The X-Type will, of course, be an enormous pile of failure.

At any rate, I seem to recall some news that JLR was supposed to be cutting platforms. How the hell does this fit in with that, because I don't see ANY way to do this without at least one new platform.

Think Z4 pricing.

Basically, if they're sane, it'll be Miata or S2000 money. The X-Type will, of course, be an enormous pile of failure.

You can get a new Miata for $20k. Jaguar, unlike Mazda, is a luxury brand. There's no way they'd sell a roadster at $20k. I think argatoga is right--it'll be priced against the Z4 and SLK, not the Miata.

So Im guessing a straight six, with a sort of R Model with a turbo or supercharger, Jaguar better not fudge this one up.

It won't have an i6. They aren't going to develop a whole new engine. It will probably use their V6 with a V8 option.

Think Z4 pricing.

It'll have to be pretty damn special for them to ask Z4 prices and expect to sell any. The people who buy this sort of car worry about the total cost of ownership. Set aside the build quality differences and after sales service, the depreciation hit on a Jaguar makes it a very unattractive "investment" compared to an equivalent BMW, Mercedes, or even an Audi.

You can get a new Miata for $20k. Jaguar, unlike Mazda, is a luxury brand. There's no way they'd sell a roadster at $20k. I think argatoga is right--it'll be priced against the Z4 and SLK, not the Miata.

Yup it will compete in the Z4, SLK, and lower end Boxter/Cayman segment.

It won't have an i6. They aren't going to develop a whole new engine. It will probably use their V6 with a V8 option.

There is the inline six from Volvo that can be set up for RWD and is already used by Land Rover. I am sure Volvo would love to unload a few more engines to JLR and make some more money off that motor. Assuming they have the capacity for it anyway.
It'll have to be pretty damn special for them to ask Z4 prices and expect to sell any. The people who buy this sort of car worry about the total cost of ownership. Set aside the build quality differences and after sales service, the depreciation hit on a Jaguar makes it a very unattractive "investment" compared to an equivalent BMW, Mercedes, or even an Audi.

In the US at least Jag has a better warranty then BMW now. Five year 50,000 mile complete service compared to BMWs four year 50,000 complete service warranty. Jag always undercuts BMWs prices by a few thousand dollars which isn't too hard since most BMWs are easily 5,000-10,000 overpriced and once you start tacking on options it gets even worse. A XF premium and a 550i have about a 6,000 dollar price gapto the advantage of the XF. I would expect Jag to do the same with the F-Type.

There is the inline six from Volvo that can be set up for RWD and is already used by Land Rover. I am sure Volvo would love to unload a few more engines to JLR and make some more money off that motor. Assuming they have the capacity for it anyway.

This is Jaguar, they have always resisted using engines other than their own. For instance when Ryder's Rolls needed a new engine they installed their V12 into it to change his mind about killing it off (it worked). The XJ40 originally was designed not to fit a V engine to avoid using the Buick/Rover V8. They won't use someone else's engine for this one.

This is Jaguar, they have always resisted using engines other than their own. For instance when Ryder's Rolls needed a new engine they installed their V12 into it to change his mind about killing it off (it worked). The XJ40 originally was designed not to fit a V engine to avoid using the Buick/Rover V8. They won't use someone else's engine for this one.

On the other hand, their current V6 is already based on the Ford Duratec, so their resistance to using outside engines has been reduced. I would love to see straight-sixes return to the Jaguar lineup, origin be damned.

On the other hand, their current V6 is already based on the Ford Duratec, so their resistance to using outside engines has been reduced. I would love to see straight-sixes return to the Jaguar lineup, origin be damned.

Why?

They're smoother than V-6s, sound good, and because Jaguar doesn't bother with FWD platforms, the length of an I-6 isn't a problem. Plus they have a history of great straight-sixes.

Well they weren't too successful at it under Ford ownership. :p

Now that they are independent as far as engines go I suspect they will go in house for everything going forward.

They're smoother than V-6s, sound good, and because Jaguar doesn't bother with FWD platforms, the length of an I-6 isn't a problem. Plus they have a history of great straight-sixes.

Traditionally they did go with L6s for smoothness, but now V8s are pretty capable in this regard.

And the length of the Volvo inline 6 isn't a problem. Volvo engineered it to fit in transverse for FWD applications by relocating all the accessories to the rear, driver's side in a FWD application, of the engine that wouldn't work for a RWD application but some of the other tricks they used would.