Spy Shots: 2011 Mercedes-Benz CLS spotted completely nude

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
I have mixed feelings about the model update. I liked the rear of the original model better, and while I like the shape of the new headlamps, the bulbs inside look odd. Also, the rims don't work at all IMO and the whole front looks kind of pushed down, as if it's lower than it should be for the proportions to be right. :dunno:

Source: Not?cias Automotivas via Autoblog

One would think that if Mercedes-Benz was really invested in keeping the upcoming 2011 CLS under wraps, it wouldn't be conducting an official photo shoot right outside of the company's museum in Stuttgart. Evidently, though, that's not the case. One keen-eyed visitor to the halls of Silver Arrow lore happened to spot a camera crew snapping photos of what looks to be an undisguised CLS, and was kind enough to share the find with Not?cias Automotivas. It's the clearest look anyone has gotten of the reworked four-door yet.

As expected, the CLS now wears a more upright grille and plenty of familiar nose lines. That means more pronounced front fender flares and a smartly drawn hood are all part of the package now. The look is taken page for page from the same treatment the company spread onto its 2011 R-Class recently. Toward the rear of the car, buyers will notice more stylized quarter panels as part of an overall departure from the bubble look of this year's car ? if anything, the new CLS doesn't look quite as swoopy, a bit less 'four-door coupe' than its trend-setting antecedent. While the outgoing CLS is plenty attractive as it is, we're still looking forward to seeing the new model in the flesh ? even if it does look a bit more traditional. Head over to Not?cias Automotivas for a closer look at the car. Thanks for the tip, Eber and Polandi!

exclusivo-mercedes-benz-cls-2011-e-flagrado-por-leitor-na-alemanha-1.jpg

exclusivo-mercedes-benz-cls-2011-e-flagrado-por-leitor-na-alemanha-2.jpg

exclusivo-mercedes-benz-cls-2011-e-flagrado-por-leitor-na-alemanha-3.jpg

exclusivo-mercedes-benz-cls-2011-e-flagrado-por-leitor-na-alemanha-4.jpg

exclusivo-mercedes-benz-cls-2011-e-flagrado-por-leitor-na-alemanha-5.jpg

exclusivo-mercedes-benz-cls-2011-e-flagrado-por-leitor-na-alemanha-6.jpg

exclusivo-mercedes-benz-cls-2011-e-flagrado-por-leitor-na-alemanha-8.jpg

And a random pic of an original in the same color in the same location???

exclusivo-mercedes-benz-cls-2011-e-flagrado-por-leitor-na-alemanha-7.jpg

Last edited:
The last photo has a glass roof :p

I'd rock that one in the last pic, glass roof would be lovely!

*stares

Well, It's not like you could improve on the first one could you?

Looks pretty awful.

Taillights remind me of something.

6391-048-rear-3-4-480.jpg

But that might be my imagination.

It's not a bad looking car, but it does kind of make me wish Bruno Sacco would come out of retirement and kick some asses.

I would take one of the old ones any day.....

Looking good, but the previous one was definitely prettier.

The old one looks way better, I hardly can see any differences between the new CLS and the E-Class, apart from the roof line and the front lights.

My issues with the current CLS is that while it looks awesome, ergonomically, it's a pain in the behind. But hey, you have to give up something for those great swoopy looks, right?

Now they've taken away the looks but left the lousy ergonomics. So it's the worst of all worlds.

Steve

What the hell? The VW CC now looks better than this...not that it's an ugly car, but the CLS was supposed to be the benchmark of the swoopy sedan category, and now it's not.

I thought a new generation was supposed to be an improvement.

EW

The current model just looks so good still, can't we just take the G-wagen approach and update everything but the looks?

We all knew that a new CLS was just going to get fatter, which is unfortunate. It's lost a lot of its sveltness, but that just means Merc can make a CLSC-class or something and put it right. :lol:

I'll just leave this here:

CLS63_perfpackage.jpg

The new one isn't bad, but in terms of looks the original CLS AMG is better. As Aiolos said, I think the headlight detailing is what ruins it for me.

Last edited: