How often do you change your oil?

Original owner's manual says every 12,000km (7500 miles), I do it whenever I have time between 10,000km - 12,000km.

Looks like I've settled for 9k km now.

Trying out Mobil 1 Rally Formula instead of Shell Helix Ultra this time; are they comparable in terms of quality, or is Mobil significantly worse? Of course, oil suitability depends of the engine, I guess..

Mobil 1 is a synthetic oil. I don't know if the Shell is or not.

Shell Helix Ultra is fully synthetic.

A little update on the "30000km between oil changes? Am I mad?" thing - a while ago at just over 12000km the service-interval-o-meter said I had 18100km left before the first service and oil change.

I use semi synthetic... i think 40 weight, dont remember.
My car is quite low maintenance, 1996 Renault 19, so every 12-15,000 km sounds good.

I change mine every 11-12000 kilometers, which is what the car manual recommends. Sometimes I may extend or shorten this with a few hundred. If for example, I reached 12k in September, I leave it for another month or so until early November, when I change tires, oil, oil filters and cooling liquid all at once. I only use oil and liquids recommended by manufacturer.

I use "high millage" on my Jag. Mainly because the O rings between the cam cover and head are leaking slightly. Once I replace those I might start using full synthetic (all the other seals must be good right)? :p

quite often :)

I don't understand why you would follow VW's 30,000km intervals. An oil change is so easy and inexpensive to do and it gives you a piece of mind that your engine is running smoothly. Why risk having sludge or other potential problems down the road for a saving of about $20-50?

Owner's manual says 10000 km, I change oil (Fully synthetic Teboil Gold 5W-40) and filter after 5000-7000 kilometers.

Last edited:
i have the oil changed every two years when it's time for a new MOT as well. all in one go.
since i don't drive much, it's never been and should not become any problem :)

I don't understand why you would follow VW's 30,000km intervals. An oil change is so easy and inexpensive to do and it gives you a piece of mind that your engine is running smoothly. Why risk having sludge or other potential problems down the road for a saving of about $20-50?

Do you change your tyres well before their intended service life is reached? New brakes done every year just to be safe?

Seriously, I can see people moaning about manufacturers calling in cars too soon for a service to make more money, but the opposite? Right.

I go 5,000 miles on standard oil, you should be able to do twice that on synthetic.

5000 miles on the Cougar, 7500 miles on the Mark VIII. Both get regular dino juice.

For conventional oil: 3000 miles or "Oh crap its been a while"

For synthetic: 7000 to 10000 miles or "Oh god, that was like 2 years ago"

Due to my 5M-GE's terrible habit of consuming lots of oil and leaking some of it out, its about 6000 kms when I get it changed mostly to do the filter and add the lost oil.