Random Thoughts....

If you're dejected after 2 months in the real world, you have a long life ahead of you.

Life isn't all about work, home, sleep. You JUST moved to town. Give yourself some time to adjust and meet people. Take up some hobbies, join some clubs, take some evening classes, volunteer. And FYI grad school is a 9-5 grind just like the working world except it isn't 9-5 but rather 24/7 on call for 2-5 years.

To each their own man. I fucking hate having free time. Two years of having not much to do, and basically working on call, whenever a couple of projects crop up (mind you, they payed well), takes it's toll on you as well. You wake up every day thinking, "fuck, how am I going to kill time today, if I don't get a call?".

Now I'm working regular 9-5 with a good group of folks, doing stuff that I enjoy, learning different things, and I still get to do on call stuff whenever it crops up. I love it. Ironically, I'm not even a very goal oriented person, so far from it... I just like getting shit done.

Bringing a laid back attitude to work, but keeping it real and getting shit done. It's fantastic.

Wild guess: the original Japanese publisher probably still doesn't care. Whoever distributes its work outside of Japan, on the other hand...

You are probably right as 10$ of the 15$ is to translate it. :|
Why does a 500 page novel cost less than a 100 page comic that takes me 15 minutes to read. Like hell can I justify that.

That's life. Work punctuated with stuff. Trick is to find the balance. Find something that makes you want to leave work, a class (cookery, mechanics, learn a language) or a hobby (restore a car, collect stamps, murder paperclips). Find some friends, get a movie group together (go see something once a month), a dinner group (out once a fortnight), take up running or ride a bike. Keep looking for that girl/guy....a million billion other things. Even kite flying.

Being the workaholic can suck at times, get up, go to work, go home, pay bills, go to bed. Rinse, repeat (5, 6 or even 7 times a week). Don't get sucked in to it. Life is too short. Sometimes overtime has to be said 'no' to. This is coming from a recovering addict who still has to forceably remove herself from the office at times.

Where do you want to be in 5 years? Maybe this part of life is the work hard, save every cent so that you can buy your own place, somewhere else, learn the skill to get the job you really want, or move to the place/town/city/country that you want to be in. Then later you can step back and relax. Or if that isn't so important, find something more to your liking now (possible pay cut) and go do that instead. Or go back to school!

Anybody know where I can get a copy of Wolfenstein 3D? I'm in the mood to kill some Nazis.

HighVoltage, I'll get back to you when I'm nice and settled down in grad school...

I guess it really is too early to get depressed about life. It is true that I moved here just two months ago. So far I was really excited about all the money and was shopping indulgent things for a while.

That doesn't work anymore. I know what I want to do with my life eventually - I want to be a college professor. "Those who can't do, teach" etc, etc... So I guess I just need to suck it up for a few years, until I can do my masters and Ph.D.

I was just unhappy that I can actually see my youth going away. There is a part of my brain that still thinks I'm 17.

@kat: ever heard of onemanga HOLY CRAP IT'S CLOSING! what am I gonna do if for some reason i want to read my shows. Damn :( If they try to pull this shit off with anime heads will roll.

@_HighVoltage_ You're suffering from a existential crisis, I suggest copious amounts of gaming, sports, reading a book you like.

HighVoltage, I'll get back to you when I'm nice and settled down in grad school...

What ^ said.

Met a lady from Canada with kids about my age on the tour bus around Santiago. Took some amazing pictures (the weather was gorgeous). Nearly 800 shots taken so far. Not a ton compared to what could be possible, but still a lot. Just had my first sangria and shared it with this lady actually. Tasted pretty good, although I preferred my beer to it tbh. Downloading pictures because tomorrow I'm gonna see the Andes and I'm gonna touch them and pay my respects.

Also here's a teaser shot from today:

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2010/07/23/IMG_4081.png

@kat: ever heard of onemanga HOLY CRAP IT'S CLOSING! what am I gonna do if for some reason i want to read my shows. Damn :( If they try to pull this shit off with anime heads will roll.

Yep. After kat posted I checked OneManga (because that was where I was going to be looking when I finally got around to reading the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga) and they are closing too. Not too big a loss for me, because they didn't even have all of Yu-Gi-Oh! complete, but I know my friend is probably going to be a bit mad about it because he used to read stuff there all the goddamn freaking time. Even when he had company over he would be on the computer reading his manga. :lol:

Need some advice here, uni related sorry!

Have just gotten an emial (generated for all students in the course) from the lecturer of one of the courses I am doing next semester, telling us that we really should wait until we have done all the first year courses before doing this course. I am doing the last of my first year courses at the same time as this course, but I am still worried, so:

- are second year courses generally much harder than first year?
- This is a second semester only course, does this mean it is again harder?
- Should I change out to an "easier" second year course?

Thanks, really freaking out and upset over this, especially since I already blew a heap of money on the textbook (but I will be doing to course again later in my degree so it doesn't matter too much) and uni goes back next week (so I'll probably get a crap tutorial too :(). Especially siince it's in a similar area to the course I bombed the exam on last semester. And if I fail this (or any other course), I will lose my job so it makes it that bit more scary and frustrating....

:cry:

Brydie, it isn't always "more difficult" so much as it builds on knowledge previously obtained. Taking a course too early can make it harder because you don't have the proper background/foundation. The professor knows the course won't be offered again for a year and is likely making the recommendation for a reason. If you are concerned, drop an email and ask for a brief office appointment to sort through things.

When they recommend to it later, it's generally because you need to learn some stuff in other courses before doing their course, although they might not be official prerequisits. I did a third year unit in my first year, and although I got through, there were some things I had to go and learn to go and get the proper understanding. So, yes, struggled from time to time, but not overly bad.

Sometimes they want you to get into the discipline of writing, research etc because they are too lazy/busy to have to coach 1st years through the essay writing process or getting them to knuckle down and do some work. And yes, second year courses are usually harder. But again, not impossible.

I don't like the animes as much as the mangas as they are full of filler often and sometimes (see orginal anime of FMA for example) are COMPLETELY different plots.
Speaking of, does anyone have that downloaded they could send me? >:
Downloading volume by volume took so far 3 hours for rurouni kenshin.

Like others have said, prerequisites exist for a reason. Sometimes you can take them at the same time as the prerequisite courses or even out of order, but if you're getting an e-mail about it and it's a subject you're not too comfortable in, that sounds like a problem.

Ask the professor his reasoning for why he thinks you should wait. If there's a lot of information he wants you to already know from classes you haven't taken yet, you'll probably just want to wait for it.

If you decide to take it later, may e you can replace the course with some other required course you have to take. Don't pull a Coco, drag on undergrad for way too long, and then still end up having to take a bunch of university requirements at the very end just to get out.

Holy mother of SpongeBob, I cannot WAIT to be out of school.

Last edited:
Yeah, I also am anxiously awaiting finishing school. I got my first real taste of a 9-5 this summer, and I'm loving it.

Heh, one of my friends took off a year to work and finished up undergrad this summer. She said school was WAY harder than work.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side and all, but I'd like not to have all my free time eaten by homework and...well, some money. Free time with no money to play with is poop.

Last edited:
Heh, one of my friends took off a year to work and finished up undergrad this summer. She said school was WAY harder than work.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side and all, but I'd like not to have all my free time eaten by homework and...well, some money. Free time with no money to play with is poop.

Yep. Especially during summer classes.

I am not looking forward to graduating not because of having to have a job, but trying to GET one in this economy. :(