Flatplane vs crossplane

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Flatplane

Crossplane

Yah I'm a crossplane man.

I love a crossplane engine, they just sound dirty and purely unadulterated. A flatplane engine does sound beautiful but sounds beautiful in a symphonic way.

Ya missed at least 1

Crossplane with a 180 Degree header. I'll take 2 of these please :D

and more flat plane entrants, Ferrari just does funny tricks with the mufflers to make it sound half way decent :tease:

[video=youtube;aF_-DAS7V04]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF_-DAS7V04[/video]

anyone care to explain the difference between cross and flat, bar how the car sounds?

Crossplane, but this one:

And a bit of revving courtesy of yours truly :p

Last edited:
High-strung cross-plane FTW!

Flatplane for me, please.

The Yamaha R1 sounds more like a Ducati than your atypical Japanese inline 4 screamer. I see and hear a 2010 R1 with a full Akrapovic system quite often and it sounds sublime.

Don't Ducatis use Yamaha engines?

I didn't say they did, I was asking IF they did.

:) not only Ducati use their own engine, they use something quite unique.

A desmodromic L2.

Basically a V-twin, tilted 90 degree so that the front cylinder is almost horizontal and the rear one almost vertical.

And they use desmodromic valve, that do not require valve spring to close the valves.

Other manufacturer use Ducati engine, namely Bimota and NCR (which is more of a Ducati tuner, but they do make some in-house models like the Milona).

Last edited:
Flatplane for me, please.

I'd just like to be the first to say, on behalf of the entire forums, i am SO SORRY about that terrible farming machinery accident that ripped off both of your ears and rendered you completely deaf. :comfort: