2011 Ford Explorer revealed

I like it as well, but I wish they had kept the low window thing.

I love how they're offing the 2.0L Ecoboost as the "optional" engine. Seems weird, considering the V6 is more powerful and has more torque (though probably less economical).

I love how they're offing the 2.0L Ecoboost as the "optional" engine. Seems weird, considering the V6 is more powerful and has more torque (though probably less economical).

Unfortunately no AWD with the Ecoboost.

Looks awesome! I especially love the roof and how it "appears" to be entirely held up by the C pillars.
Sure there's a little bit of posh land rover in it, but hey that's what sells. Power to Ford!

The main reason it isn't an explorer is that the greenhouse doesn't follow the classic explorer design of starting BELOW the top of the hood. it really makes it look wrong.

I know what you are talking about...and I know that all Explorers have that styling feature...however, not ONLY the the Explorer had it. It wasn't Explorer-exclusive.

My family has had 3, and all were dark colors (one dark green, and two black) and I have to say that I never really noticed that hood-to-window issue until I read when someone brought it up in the thread about the spy shots.

As for this new version, I dig it.

They say they're hoping that people "buy into" getting more fuel economy. Too bad I suspect most people will go "2.0 four cylinder AND I'll have to pay more?", won't understand that it's a turbo, and end up with the V6 anyway. :p

They say they're hoping that people "buy into" getting more fuel economy. Too bad I suspect most people will go "2.0 four cylinder AND I'll have to pay more?", won't understand that it's a turbo, and end up with the V6 anyway. :p

The Camry Hybrid is (marginally) more expensive than the Camry V6. I see this as the same sort of thing.

"well, we can make a hybrid drivetrain for it that probably wouldn't be very good, or we can just put a turbo engine in it"
"turbooo!!!! I'm sorry, I mean ecoboost. we need to make it sound cool."

A bit of LRX in there but love the way it looks. I'd get one of these instead of a Kuga if they'd sell it over here

FORD%20KUGA.jpg

I know it's not really the same class, but price wise they should be similar(direct conversion, mind you)

edit: Just saw the RHD/LHD license plate on the stock photo: VOW 818/ 818 WOV
Direct conversions are dangerous, I'd guess if Ford sold the Explorer here (which they won't) it'd start at ~?47k. The Jeep Grand Cherokee (2005>) starts at 45 and the Ford is better.

Last edited:

Didn't hinder Audi.

Direct conversions are dangerous, I'd guess if Ford sold the Explorer here (which they won't) it'd start at ~?47k. The Jeep Grand Cherokee (2005>) starts at 45 and the Ford is better.

Agreed, at that pricepoint they would simply be kicked out of the marketsegment by X5's and the like , and even if they don't Ford europe will happily fuck it up by shoving a diesel from a Transitvan in there :p

However I can see some European future for this thing in the grayimport world, a 2.0 is douable tax and insurancewise ......

On topic : not my kind of vehicle , but I like the looks of it.

Last edited:
While I'm cool with the whole unibody thing so long as it works offroad and saves Ford some money, I completely forgot about one casualty... The Sport Trac! RIP

While I'm cool with the whole unibody thing so long as it works offroad and saves Ford some money, I completely forgot about one casualty... The Sport Trac! RIP

I think Mulally accidentally slipped that there's a Ranger replacement on the way. If there's a crew cab version, that'd make the SporTrac redundant.

I'm looking forward to a new Ranger.

Don't really care what they call it. I want a small 4wd truck with the looks of the F-Series, a manual transmission, and big V6/smallish V8, all for an affordable price.

Why is there an "America Fuck Yeah" image for an unremarkable and ugly crossover?