StarCraft II....hell, it's about time

Could be patched already. It did patch itself when you first ran it, didn't it?

indeed it did. maybe they already put that stuff in place then. can't say i've had any unusual annoyances noise-wise with it at all (menu or IG)...

Could be patched already. It did patch itself when you first ran it, didn't it?

Yeah, but I hear that was a 0 day patch.

So, is it just me, or is the balance a little wonky, despite the year or so of beta testing? It seems like, at least for the relatively inexperienced players in the bottom-of-the-barrel league that I'm in, that Terrans are much easier to win with than the other two races. Marines + marauders + medivacs, and you've got a hard-hitting force that doesn't need a ton of micro to hold its own, and that does a ton of damage while you get siege tanks (which also don't need a ton of micro as you leapfrog them forward). It seems like strategies with the other two races, Protoss in particular, require far more micromanagement to be successful, leading to an imbalance (at least at the lower-level leagues where everybody's micro could use some improvement).

Thoughts?

So, is it just me, or is the balance a little wonky, despite the year or so of beta testing? It seems like, at least for the relatively inexperienced players in the bottom-of-the-barrel league that I'm in, that Terrans are much easier to win with than the other two races. Marines + marauders + medivacs, and you've got a hard-hitting force that doesn't need a ton of micro to hold its own, and that does a ton of damage while you get siege tanks (which also don't need a ton of micro as you leapfrog them forward). It seems like strategies with the other two races, Protoss in particular, require far more micromanagement to be successful, leading to an imbalance (at least at the lower-level leagues where everybody's micro could use some improvement).

Thoughts?

nope, it's all good. :dunno:

no honestly i think it's all ok. maybe if you just mass t1 then terran might be stronger than the other races, but why would you do that?
there is so much stuff you can do to keep the terran from getting a frighteningly big army up in the early game, even without uber-micro. starcraft as a game relies MUCH less on micro than e.g. WC3 does/did. you can play decently without needing much micro. maybe with such a terran army you simply need (close to) NONE, but playing against such an army wouldn't need a crazy amount either. of course, it's always somewhat of an advantage...
also: i play protoss and i consider my micro to be horrible. still works pretty well so far :p i admit, i tend to just do crazy stuff which somehow confuses people, but still...

nope, it's all good. :dunno:

no honestly i think it's all ok. maybe if you just mass t1 then terran might be stronger than the other races, but why would you do that?
there is so much stuff you can do to keep the terran from getting a frighteningly big army up in the early game, even without uber-micro. starcraft as a game relies MUCH less on micro than e.g. WC3 does/did. you can play decently without needing much micro. maybe with such a terran army you simply need (close to) NONE, but playing against such an army wouldn't need a crazy amount either. of course, it's always somewhat of an advantage...
also: i play protoss and i consider my micro to be horrible. still works pretty well so far :p i admit, i tend to just do crazy stuff which somehow confuses people, but still...

The game was only balanced on high-ish skil levels and that's the only way to do it. If you get into good Diamond leagues you'll find that it's pretty well balanced, not too thin like StarCraft BW yet, that will take another year or so, but it's fine. It's easier to win with Terran on lower levels, Zerg rules mid-leagues, Toss - mid-high, top ones are leaning towards Terran a bit, but that's a matter of upcoming patch that's gonna knock 5hp off marauders.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I'm in the Bronze League with a record of 2-6, and a bunch of single-player skirmish matches while learning the game. So I suck. Big time.

I'm trying to learn Protoss because I like their background music and their whole attitude. But it's much harder for me to be remotely successful with them than with Terrans. I'm not giving up on trying to play them, though, just making an observation.

Because in all the games I've played, by the time its over, armies are still primarily made up of tier one units, with just a smattering of tier two?

Because in all the games I've played, by the time its over, armies are still primarily made up of tier one units, with just a smattering of tier two?

well yeah ok, games tend to go way too quickly with too much t1 and the such. i hate it.
out of the games i play, i would consider maybe 10% "good games" ... as in people really did some thinking as to what they did and not just pumped out more t1 than the other.
it's all a bit annoying somehow, i would agree.

protoss is the only thing i can really play at all. can't be bothered to learn terran and i'm just too stupid to play zerg (too much macro and things to look after and all that -.-).
i think it's actually a rather straight forward deal. not much you can do wrong, really.
too many marauders, just get some immortals they'll butcher them. marines... ololololol... i dunno... stalkers + sentries + immortals should kick those t1 terran's armies asses all over the place.
also: love the possibilities to harrass. blink stalkers? dropship action? phoenix annoyance (one of my favourites, this)? ... and to complete the lot: noobray lameness...

well yeah ok, games tend to go way too quickly with too much t1 and the such. i hate it.
out of the games i play, i would consider maybe 10% "good games" ... as in people really did some thinking as to what they did and not just pumped out more t1 than the other.
it's all a bit annoying somehow, i would agree.

protoss is the only thing i can really play at all. can't be bothered to learn terran and i'm just too stupid to play zerg (too much macro and things to look after and all that -.-).
i think it's actually a rather straight forward deal. not much you can do wrong, really.
too many marauders, just get some immortals they'll butcher them. marines... ololololol... i dunno... stalkers + sentries + immortals should kick those t1 terran's armies asses all over the place.
also: love the possibilities to harrass. blink stalkers? dropship action? phoenix annoyance (one of my favourites, this)? ... and to complete the lot: noobray lameness...

Hey thanks, I'll try some of those combinations. I think I've been relying too heavily on zealots with my Protoss armies.

lol, i thought i was completely useless then tried this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQe6UqvCOT4 and i pwned big time xd

edit:

and check out this awesome build:
[video=youtube;vP3egyvH-DU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP3egyvH-DU&feature=channel[/video]

Last edited:
Hey thanks, I'll try some of those combinations. I think I've been relying too heavily on zealots with my Protoss armies.

i actually think zealots are pretty shit unless you have charge -.- they're just so damn slow... but i guess that's just me there.

smurfen: maybe i should try playing terran sometime... i don't like how the protoss are basically religious fanatics :p
hahaha that thor rush is ridiculous...

Last edited:
smurfen: maybe i should try playing terran sometime... i don't like how the protoss are basically religious fanatics :p

If my friendly neighborhood priest could take my consciousness when I die and implant it in a giant mechanical spider with cannons on the side, I might be religious too. Just sayin ;)

Oh my god. Thors are AWESOME. Hadn't seen them in operation before.

i actually think zealots are pretty shit unless you have charge -.- they're just so damn slow... but i guess that's just me there.

Zealots are definitely the worst of the basic units, they were ok in SC1 and I'd rather have the speed upgrade from SC1 than Charge. After all, charge is rendered useless when dealing with enemies on the high ground. Marines are still the most effective of the basic units now that they have stims and added hp making the terran ball more dangerous than before.

The few videos I've seen, It seems like with the "Marines + marauders + medivacs", the nukes, etc...it does seem a bit unbalanced....

So, if I loved Warcraft III but only played Starcraft once or twice because I preffered the humor of Warcraft...should I pick this up?

Protoss reply: Early collossi, with a few sentries and some stalkers.

yeah collossi do some funny things with marines and such :p

Plus they're not actually that hard to push out early of you go single gate ---> cyb core ---> zealot ---> pylon --> robo

i think this game was fun to watch:[video=youtube;FGP1-R9rugo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGP1-R9rugo[/video]

ma computer can run it!!!

would it be worth it to get a legit version for multiplayer or is single player sufficient?

Last edited:
ma computer can run it!!!

would it be worth it to get a legit version for multiplayer or is single player sufficient?

You can't play either SP or MP without logging onto Battle.net each time you start up the game. I think that answers your question.

Plus, piracy of games is bad, mkay? This isn't like pirating music where they have concert tickets and other avenues to fund their operations (not that I'm condoning music piracy either). But with game makers, sales of games are their ONLY source of R&D money. Sales from SC2 will fund the creation of the next great Blizzard game. Pirating SC2 is a very selfish thing. You'll undoubtedly play WC4 or whatever the next great Blizzard game is, but if you pirate, you've having everybody but you fund the development of that game.