The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Lies! The motorized little display is for the B-58 with the huge fuel tank under the belly. :p

It's almost pathetic how well I know that museum. Ah who am I kidding? It is pathetic! :lol: If I remember the old museum layout correctly that photo was taken in the Modern Flight Gallery, in the far left corner after entering the hangar. The XB-70 is just out of shot to the left, next to the SR-71.

EDIT: I just found out that the museum is trying to acquire a space shuttle orbiter after they're retired. Imagine an SR-71, XB-70, B-2, Air Force One, and a space shuttle all under one roof. :drool:

Last edited:
Lies! The motorized little display is for the B-58 with the huge fuel tank under the belly. :p

It's almost pathetic how well I know that museum. Ah who am I kidding? It is pathetic! :lol: If I remember the old museum layout correctly that photo was taken in the Modern Flight Gallery, in the far left corner after entering the hangar. The XB-70 is just out of shot to the left, next to the SR-71.

EDIT: I just found out that the museum is trying to acquire a space shuttle orbiter after they're retired. Imagine an SR-71, XB-70, B-2, Air Force One, and a space shuttle all under one roof. :drool:

You are right on both counts... that B-58 dumped fuel not long after that picture was taken... apparently the tanks were never drained when it came to the Museum.

Steve

The Singapore suite on the SQ A380s.

I wonder if mile high club membership is included in the $15,000 ticket (Singapore to London round trip)

If I remember right, they had to ask people in the A380 personal rooms to not have sex due to the paper-thin walls...

Shame. Singapore airline has some of the hottest air stewardesses.

I think this thread needs some pics of the "Killer Egg"

http://img127.imageshack.**/img127/6140/ah611rjro7.jpg

http://img127.imageshack.**/img127/4144/ah623zjvs2.jpg

http://img487.imageshack.**/img487/3575/image0012ivio1.jpg

AH-6J2small.jpg

Once again, here's a "Know Your Century Series Fighters" installment, this time featuring the wildest Century Series fighter, real or otherwise; the Bell XF-109.

So far, we've seen a lot of innovation with the Century Series fighter aircraft - these were the first transsonic and supersonic fighter aircraft to enter service anywhere in the world, and they incorporated numerous advancements in engines, systems, structures and aerodynamics that would not only set the standard for for future fighters, but all future aircraft in general.

But one concept stands above them all in terms of it's sheer audacity. The Bell XF-109 was not only supposed to incorporate the performance of the earlier aircraft in the series, but it was intended to do so with the ability to takeoff and land vertically!

NNWq0.jpg

XkQ0K.jpg

uX6fb.jpg

It goes without saying that a combat aircraft that can takeoff and land without a runway will possess a significant advantage in utility when compared to a conventional aircraft, so Bell set forth in the late 1950s to design an aircraft that could do just that, yet retain the speed and performance of contemporary fighters. However, this was not going to be easy by any measure; VTOL/VSTOL aircraft pose the greatest technical challenge to aircraft designers today, to say nothing of the challenge in the 1950s. Despite solving many issues with the concept of a jet-powered VTOL aircraft, several issues remained - the XF-109 relied on eight General Electric J85 engines for lift and propulsion - two engines in each rotating wing pod, two in the aft fuselage for horizontal propulsion, and two vertically-mounted, non-afterburning engines mounted behind the cockpit for extra lift. Put simply, this was a frighteningly complicated aircraft - so much so that despite the official designation assigned by the USAF, they never really expressed much interest in it. Even the Navy, who you would think has a vested interest in aircraft with that kind of performance, was cool to the concept. As such, the XF-109 died a quick death.

As a footnote, it DID show that a supersonic VTOL jet aircraft was more than just wishful thinking, and for many years, it was thought that the XF-109's design concept was the best way to go about building a VTOL jet aircraft, supersonic or not. It wasn't until the P.1127 project rolled around that a better way was found.

I would hate to be the one flying that thing....

Obligatory ME-109

me109.jpg

That looks like a Spanish-built Hispano Bouchon to me, judging by the bigger cowling and Spitfire-like exhaust as it was ironically powered by a Merlin engine.

I wonder if any of them actually still fly in Spanish colours?

^ You are correct. Restored Spanish 109 with the Hispano engine painted in German markings.

I would hate to be the one flying that thing....

x2! that landing gear looks like its pretty much designed for smashing the nose and tail into the ground... the prototype (or just a mockup?) even has extra supports holding the nose up! Making a VTOL plane that sucks at conventional takeoffs and landings seems like a seriously terrible idea.

and another obligatory Me-109 post, because I posted this picture in the wrong thread before:

Me109_G-6_D-FMBB_1.jpg

the prototype (or just a mockup?) even has extra supports holding the nose up!

Mockup. ;) Note how it looks to be inside a design studio of sorts.

This is one of the most awesome hellicopter of all time! It allways looks so sinister in the movies, a real badass, a ninja of helicopters. What model is it?

I think this thread needs some pics of the "Killer Egg"

http://img127.imageshack.**/img127/6140/ah611rjro7.jpg

http://img127.imageshack.**/img127/4144/ah623zjvs2.jpg

http://img487.imageshack.**/img487/3575/image0012ivio1.jpg

AH-6J2small.jpg

Once again, here's a "Know Your Century Series Fighters" installment, this time featuring the wildest Century Series fighter, real or otherwise; the Bell XF-109.

Well, the germans actually built a similar design, the EWR VJ 101:

And some other funny vtols

[SIZE=-1]VAK191B
[/SIZE]Vak191B.jpg
[SIZE=-1]Dornier Do.31[/SIZE]
31.jpg

This is one of the most awesome hellicopter of all time! It allways looks so sinister in the movies, a real badass, a ninja of helicopters. What model is it?

Ah-6 little bird.

Well, the germans actually built a similar design, the EWR VJ 101:

I've always wondered if the Germans won WWII would we all have jet packs and flying cars today.

Their engineering prowess consistently blows my mind.

What ME109?